Too Quick? - Grain To Judges Brain In 7 Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just added my bittering hops to an AG Dry Stout...

Can I make a compettion deadline?...Due next Thursday night at BABBS.

I think if it was possible a dark ale is the way to go...

I'm thinking crash chill in an ice bath, add shedloads of US05 and chuck it on the heating pad to get the primary ferm done in 3 days.

What do you think?

PB

I say you're crazy but if anyone can pull it off, it'll be you.

Andrew

Hi All,

I'm thinking crash chill in an ice bath, add shedloads of US05 and chuck it on the heating pad to get the primary ferm done in 3 days.

What do you think?

PB

Nottingham. If any yeast can do it, nottingham can. Quick clean ferment, drops out like a champion.

Give it more time on the yeast - 6 days and carbonate in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap (or CPBF from a keg) - presuming you have gas/kegging equipment.

Give it more time on the yeast - 6 days and carbonate in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap (or CPBF from a keg) - presuming you have gas/kegging equipment.
Yep, Doin that - If I didn't have this equipment it's probably a stretch...

PB :icon_cheers:

Edit - the bottles will sit in a fridge from Thursday night till Judging on Saturday.

if you have the time, a decent crash chill wouldn't hurt either. help clean up the palate.

if you have the time, a decent crash chill wouldn't hurt either. help clean up the palate.
I was going to chill, polyclar, filter, carbonate, then CPBF on Wednesday/Thursday.

PB

Considering you are filtering, you are probably better off leaving it out of the fridge for a few days so you clean up any fermentation precursors as the filter is going todo the work of a crash chill anyway (jut makes filtering easier if you crash chill i guess). If you crash chill to early, you may heave Diacetyl, acetadehyde etc still lurking behind.

Considering its a comp, you may want to take this into consideration.

Hi All,

What do you think?

PB
Nottingham would be a good yeast...

Kram's winning porter from the last meeting was straight from the fermenter to the mini-comp...
Scored 43 points :)

At the dark ale comp in May I did an Aussie Dark and hit it with 2 sachets of Coopers kit ale yeast. It was done and dusted in 4 days at 19 degrees, crash chilled for 3, polyclared, then bottled and inverted the comp bottles 3 times a day for 5 days and kept in a cupboard near the stove. In your case of course it won't be bottle conditioned. At the comp it got marked in the 30s and only got beaten by BrownDog's old ale by one point. Judged a nice quaffing ale but needed more dryness (I wonder why :lol: )... however I kept a swag of bottles and it's now giving Tooheys Old a definite run for it's money and I'm re entering it in the big comp.

May the best dark win. :icon_drunk:

Dave if you have a good ferment you should be ok, just don't stop it short like I did with a sparkling ale entry (sorry Ian). And the advice from Fourstar with letting it clean up is good for it, but time's the enemy on this one!

Ben a slight correction, filtered, kegged and forced carbed midnight wednesday then topped up the carb in a PET bottle just before the comp thursday haha.

Just kegged it.....1050-1014....6 days and on track

In fridge now, will filter and carbonate tomorrow.

Quite tasty.....Will make a final decision tomorrow at comp beer bottling time whether I enter it or not.

That will be 7 days grain to brain......

Woohoo!

PB

Will it not taste a little green?
Im only now getting my head around "green beer", after making some truely horrible 8% dark belgian beers, that didnt come good for over 4 months!

Will it not taste a little green?

Thats why he is filtering/crash chilling. Take my Current amber ale.. when it was green it as quite astringent and uber hoppy/bitter. after a few weeks in the keg it flocced out and has brilliant clarity. Its Ruby red/mahogany in colour compared to being a muddy red/brown and a smooth rounded high IBU bitterness over the slight harsh/astringency it had in the beginning.

The filtering will accellerate this. This is the only reason i can see myself buying a filter.. you can effectivly knock off several weeks of conditioning time and the convenience of being able to trasport kegs without disturbing yest/protiens in the keg.

and the convenience of being able to trasport kegs without disturbing yest/protiens in the keg.

Yeah this has been a big plus for me since i got my filter. Now i've got a spare keg, it's easy as pie to do too.

Yeah this has been a big plus for me since i got my filter. Now i've got a spare keg, it's easy as pie to do too.

Yeah, where as what im doing is crash chilling for a few weeks until its bright then transferring.. the only problem is even after the 1st transfer the beer usually still has some brightening todo. and i end up moving it... cloudy again. <_< Even with crash chilling and gelatine its very difficult not to transfer beer without some yeast keg to keg.

No green flavour, no diacetyl, no acetoaldehyde...... :icon_cheers:

Tasty, but roast flavours are still quite aggressive.......it will improve with a week in the keg to round out the falvours a bit more...but hey I'm happy :D .

Filtered well, aroma good, tasted good with forced carbed PET at lunch today.

Will carbonate the entire keg with the usual 24hrs cycle and do a test pour before bottling for the comp tomorrow.

I'm really keen to get this in the comp to see what happens....

PB

No green flavour, no diacetyl, no acetoaldehyde...... :icon_cheers:

Tasty, but roast flavours are still quite aggressive.......

Great work for a rushed ferment not to have any off flavours.. a decent rest post ferement is usually forgotten or skipped in these instances. Yeah the roastyness is a killer. like my sweet stout that got 3rd at stout extraveganza only a few weeks ago has turned into something of its own in the past few days... uber malty, mellow roast, BIG chocolate and smooth sweetness in the finish.. really balanced.

Got hom last ngiht after work and SWMBO was drinking a glass of it :blink: (she doesnt appreciate black beers that often). her statment was 'i thought it was the amber ale keg but this is really nice'...... Sweet! shows how things can go from decent to awesome in the space of a few weeks.

Great work for a rushed ferment not to have any off flavours.. a decent rest post ferement is usually forgotten or skipped in these instances. Yeah the roastyness is a killer. like my sweet stout that got 3rd at stout extraveganza only a few weeks ago has turned into something of its own in the past few days... uber malty, mellow roast, BIG chocolate and smooth sweetness in the finish.. really balanced.

Got hom last ngiht after work and SWMBO was drinking a glass of it :blink: (she doesnt appreciate black beers that often). her statment was 'i thought it was the amber ale keg but this is really nice'...... Sweet! shows how things can go from decent to awesome in the space of a few weeks.
Yeah, I resisted the temptation to crank up the temperature. Pitched at 26, kept at 20 for 6 days.....

WD on your sweet stout, Must be pretty good now :icon_cheers:

PB

Latest posts

Back