Too much wort for no chill cube?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judanero said:
Definitely can, I have used (thoroughly cleaned) 2 and 3L milk containers as mini no chill vessels to be used for starters.

It helps that my boys go through a 3L milk pretty much everyday so I have a ready supply, but I have on my wish list some 2.5L jerry can style ones as the milk ones can fail to seal occasionally.. like these:

https://peopleinplastic.com.au/product/jc2-5lnatsdg_-_2-5l_jerry_can_nat_sdg-no_cap/

they are $1.61 each when ordering 1-39 of them
Ive been pre making small batches of un hopped wort for starters, for a while now using those exact same containers. I usually have 1 or 2 spare for excess wort from a brew. Its very convenient to have on hand.

nosco said:
Ive been pre making small batches of un hopped wort for starters, for a while now using those exact same containers. I usually have 1 or 2 spare for excess wort from a brew. Its very convenient to have on hand.
That is what I plan to do, knock out an unhopped batch and make up a bunch of 'no chill' starters.

No issues with them being used that way?

Not so far. I started using some bottles I got off ebay but they seemed to be single use only. I have had no issue with the PIP bottles. Ive done 4 batches so far. Its great being able to just crack open a bottle pre chilled/heated at any temp you want without having to boil and cool anything. I put yeast nutrient in there too.

Edit: they are the same as cubes as in a 2.5lt is acually about 3lt. So I found the 2lt ones to be better even with leaving a bit of trub behind.

Having said that I think I like the sound of the Schott bottles that Bribie mentioned. These are definitely the cheaper option I think.

BrosysBrews said:
Have heard of people using pasata bottle to keep starter wort
The inside of the lid is cardboard lined that can harbour bugs.
But ok clingwrapped.

Back