Too much starsan in the keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I know, don't fear the foam...

However, while kegging up a brew this evening I've has a complete mind f**k and left a good 100 odd ml of starsan in the keg as I started filling it, and only realised it when I was almost done and too much foam started coming out the top...

Is this too much starsan in a batch?

More importantly, will I get get sick and die if I drink it?? Haha

I'm assuming it should be ok, but wanted to get some opinions!

IMO you won't get sick or die. You might taste it but probably not overly.

I know Starsan is a no-rinse sanitiser, but I still do rinse with boiling water just before filling. That's kegs, cubes and fermenters.

So for me, 100ml would be too much, but if it's 'only' 100ml and no more, it might be ok.

Try it, if you die, let us know. ;)

Phosphoric acid breaks down into several conjugate basis turning into PO4. Which quote is "essential for life".
Thanks Wiki

You should be better than right.
Beer fucked??

Mozz said:
Phosphoric acid breaks down into several conjugate basis turning into PO4. Which quote is "essential for life".
Thanks Wiki

You should be better than right.
Beer fucked??
Taken from their own MSDS

Phosphoric Acid 50%
Dodecylbenzene Sulfonic Acid 15 %

(Other compositional information is considered a trade secret).

Well, I'll keep pumping gas into it and get it ready for drinking and see how it goes! Will certainly report back here if I die from it

No. You will be fine, as will the beer.

If it was starsan solution diluted as per recommendations you'll have 0.15mL of actual starsan in there if my maths is ok after a massive dark mofo week.

First test will be taste test but in regards to food safety/poison I'd be confident in trying. If concerned, email fivestar chemicals - bet it's been done many a time and it's in their faq section (if they have one). You may get a sour edge (or not) in which case keeping or throwing is up to your palate.

RDWAHASHB

Ok fess up time, not long ago while I was boiling a Porter in my urn a slight lapse in concentration allowed me to put 5ml of starsan into the boil kettle instead of the open keggle fermenter. It was too late, a full dose had entered the kettle and I began to curse wildly at my awesome brewing skills while watching copious amounts of bubbles start forming in the boiling wort. So after properly sanitising my fermenter and having a quick chat with craftbrewer I decided to pitch some yeast and give it a shot.
The porter did have hazenbut essence added in the keg but the beer tasted and looked relatively normal. I did perceive a slight sour edge but I think I was really looking for it every time I drank it. The keg didn't last long and cleared bright as my others do.

manson81 said:
Yeah, yeah, I know, don't fear the foam...

However, while kegging up a brew this evening I've has a complete mind f**k and left a good 100 odd ml of starsan in the keg as I started filling it, and only realised it when I was almost done and too much foam started coming out the top...

Is this too much starsan in a batch?

More importantly, will I get get sick and die if I drink it?? Haha

I'm assuming it should be ok, but wanted to get some opinions!
Your beer is completely fucked

Send it to

Po Box 2460
Grafton, NSW, 2460

I shall get the members of the local brew club to help dispose of your problem

I'm not dead! There is a very minor sour taste, if I am looking for it. The brew was not technically perfect anyway, so **** it

Latest posts

Back