Too long fermentation ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys just a quick question. I've been sent away for work by the time I get back my two beers will have been fermenting for three weeks and four weeks. Ill bottle as soon as I get home but is this too long??

From everything I've read no. Mostly 3 weeks is how long I have been leaving my stuff before bottling.

Three weeks is normal for me. If it is a bit bigger I can go 4 weeks. I know of people who have left much longer and still produce a great brew. I would not worry if I was you. It may even work to your advantage.

I wouldn't stress about it. They'll be better off sitting there for extra time than packaging them too early, as long as the temp doesn't get stupidly high. Are they in a temp controlled / stable environment?

Also, as above, many have reported no problems after leaving their beer in the FV for over four weeks. I can't speak from experience though, as I pump 'em out ASAP to keep up with demand. :)

Out of curiosity, how long will each of them have been in the FV when you leave? Or have you already left?

If they are finished , drop the temp as low as you can get.
If they are still fermenting, drop your temp to the lower levels for your yeast...if an ale yeast drop to around 15c and let them finish slowly.
The time will allow the brews to finish and clean up. They will be nice a nd clear for bottling when you get back and you may find that when you tatse what time does it may become part of your normal routine.

Cheers guys for the replies and yes I've already left and they are in a temp controlled environment so thanks to everyone I'm not worried now!

Should be fine. I "forgot" about an IPA (quick and lazy recipe - Coopers Selection IPA, dextrose, LDM, kit yeast) for 7 weeks. Bottled it a month ago, started to drink it last week. A first class beer!

Last Thursday I bottled a kit brew that had been in the fermenter (in a fridge at around 18 deg. C) for 32 days, mainly because there was still airlock activity. I don't check the SG to avoid stirring up the sediment by shuffling the fermenter around in the fridge, a system that's worked so far (30-odd brews).

I was starting to worry so checked with my highly knowledgeable local supplier. He said the brew should be "well and truly done", advised bottling immediately, and said there should not be much to be concerned about. He couldn't offer any real reasons as to why activity was continuing but suggested it was maybe some 'enzymes'. (Shouldn't no sugar = no activity?)

I did a few taste tests through the bottling process and there did not seem to be any 'off' flavours. In fact, they tasted quite nice. Hopefully the end product will taste as good.

My main concern now is 'bottle bombs'.

Most of mine are left for three weeks. The longest I've left one is six weeks. There was no bad effects that I could detect, but I wouldn't leave it that long again! :)

Re 'bottle bombs', I store mine in plastic boxes with clip on lids from Bunnings. They're 50 - 60L in size, and about $10 each and if the bottle go bang it's all contained within a plastic box that I can simply tip into a bin and then wash out with the hose.

Ben

Not trying to be an ass hole here, but storing your beer in an enclosed environment probably wont help you if you are holding the bottle bomb in your hand when it explodes.
If you are unsure about how much carbonation there will be in your finished product - you should be. However if still unsure, use PET, which aren't completely safe, but they can hold more pressure before failure.

Last Thursday I bottled a kit brew that had been in the fermenter (in a fridge at around 18 deg. C) for 32 days, mainly because there was still airlock activity. I don't check the SG to avoid stirring up the sediment by shuffling the fermenter around in the fridge, a system that's worked so far (30-odd brews).

I was starting to worry so checked with my highly knowledgeable local supplier. He said the brew should be "well and truly done", advised bottling immediately, and said there should not be much to be concerned about. He couldn't offer any real reasons as to why activity was continuing but suggested it was maybe some 'enzymes'. (Shouldn't no sugar = no activity?)

I did a few taste tests through the bottling process and there did not seem to be any 'off' flavours. In fact, they tasted quite nice. Hopefully the end product will taste as good.

My main concern now is 'bottle bombs'.
Airlock activity is due to carbon dioxide coming out of solution.

I too would be concerned about bottle bombs if I wasn't testing gravity.

I know I posted earlier in this thread that I wouldn't worry about the OP's situation, but there's a lot of "I always leave mine in the FV for at least 3 weeks" type of comments getting about here (and all over AHB for that matter) that keep propagating. Now, this type of practice probably isn't going to ruin your beer (which is why I told the OP that I wouldn't be worried), but if your other practices are up to scratch - proper amount of healthy yeast etc. - then I tend to agree with many brewing scientists that it's at best a waste of time. Of course, everyone should do their own research on the matter before changing their brewing practices, and here's a good place to start - an article by a very well respected brewing scientist, Dr. Charlie Bamforth (many AHB members will be quite familiar with his work and books) that Screwtop recently linked in another thread.

Note: I'm not saying that you should remove the yeast from your beer as soon as fermentation is finished, of course you need to warm mature your beer, but remember that more (longer) isn't always better.

My experience of extended leaving of beer on primary yeast has sometimes resulted in some unwelcome flavours. There's a balance between too long and not long enough. If yeast is healthy, 2-5 days should be more than ample to clean up diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc. Then any further aging should be done in the cold in a container that can be sealed and preferably without the bulk of the yeast trub.

By extended, I mean 4 weeks or more. I wouldn't be super concerned in the OP's circumstance.

Well said, manticle. I tend to waffle on a bit. :p

Cheers to everyone's advice! I'm finally getting home tomorrow so will bottle Saturday the next day. I can't wait!

I think 3-4 weeks is standard, especially if fermented at colder temps. As for the gent concerned about bottle bombs, definitely grab a hydrometer or refractometer mate!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1400834786.364246.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1400834786.364246.jpg My two brews all ready to bottle!!!!! Great to be home!

Latest posts

Back