To Filter Or Not Filter Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblythongs

Reaction score
Just done my first AG stout and not sure if it's worth filtering it or is it going permanently stain my cartridge. EBC around 80

Any advice Thanks.

It is proble a personal preference but I wouldn't have thought there would be any need to filter a stout.

Stout should be treated exactly the same as any other beer. I remove yeast primarilly for taste improvement, the visual sparkle is a bonus.

Your cartridge will clean up exactly the same as well.

cheers Ross

I also filter stout to remove yeast and break material for a flavour improvement. The stout will be much smoother and cleaner when filtered.

Filtering isnt all about apperance!

A teaspoon of napisan in tap hot water soaked for 15 min, rinse and replace...... soak overnight and the filter comes up as white as the day you bought it.

cheers

I use Brewbrite then cold condition and fine as normal. Stout is not generally opaque, when you raise the glass against the light you should see lovely garnet highlights like looking through a Church Stained Glass Window.

I usually filter my stout through my kidneys ;)

Ok, filtering will give you a brighter beer as a result, so will cold conditioning.
ie: what tey said.

just filter the sucker mate........ it will be a better beer for it :)

Latest posts

Back