Timothy Taylor's 150th

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig will you have to stick to the companies "preferred suppliers" or will you get the chance to experiment?
What I like about LC is that they don't have 'preferred suppliers'. They are not a Lion Nathan company and most certainly do not do things the Lion Nathan Way.

Yes, there is a micro-maltster in San Diego that toasts a Munich from the undigested grains of Guatemalan tree barley that is hand-picked from lima droppings, and yeah, it has a great nutty character, makes a kick arse brown ale, but it's pretty expensive. I don't think Australia is ready for the $175 six pack.

I thought LN owned a good percentage of LC.

What about wallaby droppings? yeah, your right, it might have bit too much menthol character. Well perhaps there might be something in wombat poo, are they all grain, I'm not sure...

My wife owns some LC shares. They don't do things her way.

Hey dig...

Empty your inbox, or check Beeradvocate...

WJ.. :icon_offtopic:

What I like about LC is that they don't have 'preferred suppliers'. They are not a Lion Nathan company and most certainly do not do things the Lion Nathan Way.

Yes, there is a micro-maltster in San Diego that toasts a Munich from the undigested grains of Guatemalan tree barley that is hand-picked from lima droppings, and yeah, it has a great nutty character, makes a kick arse brown ale, but it's pretty expensive. I don't think Australia is ready for the $175 six pack.
Sorry I was just curious they are still a pretty big place compared to some micros and wondered if they were flexible on that stuff or not,

On the specialty micro maltster scale GL already has the market sewn up using his great Danes to process the malt for his critically acclaimed "Big Shit Porter" not sure how they would go with a silo load tho
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ost&p=38664

Love some of the TT speculation being bandied about in this thread. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet though is that if you want an authentic 100% Golden Promise TTLPA then you'll need to pay close attention to your brewing methods.

In particular, I'm referring to the popular topic of wort caramelisation. Now, to do this correctly every brewery needs at least one Grand Master Kenny. From there on in it is an easy downhill ride to the perfect TTLPA clone.

kencaramel.jpg

Love some of the TT speculation being bandied about in this thread. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet though is that if you want an authentic 100% Golden Promise TTLPA then you'll need to pay close attention to your brewing methods.

In particular, I'm referring to the popular topic of wort caramelisation. Now, to do this correctly every brewery needs at least one Grand Master Kenny. From there on in it is an easy downhill ride to the perfect TTLPA clone.

I am not sure that they do caramlise the landlord. I think this comes from some speculation that the colour of landlord can't be achieved with the public version of the TF malt hence they must caramelise the first runnings. I know that there is some evidence that some of TT other ales have caramelisation.

We simply don't have and can't get the malt they use. Even if we get TF FM MO, it isn't the spec that TT require.

All this said, I am sure we could come close with the public version of TF malts.

One of the interesting things I found with researching this ale is their use of open fermenters. I know the effect that different fermenter shape has on wine and especially open fermenters, it has alot to do with pressure and dissolved CO2 from the fermentation.

When I get my brewery back together and I am again happy with it, I have a few opens ready to experiment. Will do the yeast skimming and all. Might do some side by side experiments with the opens, one skimming and one not.

One of the interesting things I found with researching this ale is their use of open fermenters. I know the effect that different fermenter shape has on wine and especially open fermenters, it has alot to do with pressure and dissolved CO2 from the fermentation.

I did a brewery tour at Black Sheep Brewery, Masham , Yorkshire and they also use open fermenters . Some were old "Yorkshire Squares" made from slate and others were stainless steel.

They also pumped the wort from the bottom of the fermentor and sprayed it over the top at 6 hourly intervals, 15 minutes at a time, for the first 36 hours from pitching the yeast. Must be needed for their strain of yeast.

Regards

Graeme

The article speaks about "cauliflower heads" on the yeast crop, there are some pics on the TT website of their open fermenters (stainless vats with lids which just sit over the top which show this pretty well. If you ferment the WY1469 in a 30L pail you will see these form and is noticeably different to fermenting in a barrel fermenter with an airlock, it definitely doesn't like top pressure.

Like a lot of British beers could the colour possibly come from brewer's caramel ??? ;)

Warren -

There's also 20 per cent added of a variety called Styrian Goldings from Slovenia

Damn i was close with 22% :D

also no water modification in my latest attempt (usually add gypsum etc to my english bitters)

and caramalised 10L down to 2L (double batch)

i'm not to bothered if they do or they don't do it in the brewery just something i felt like doing on the day

Cheers Rob

Latest posts

Back