Timothy Taylor Landlord Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give me a bell when they arrive and I will come around and discuss the merits of them :beer:

As you have probably guessed there are GP malts and GP malts. The GP that TT use was exclusively supplied (and may very well still be) by Thomas Fawcett and is a floor malted malt. TF are very picky about the GP barley they buy and in any event most of it is contract grown these days. The Bairds GP we now see here in Australia is pnuematically malted in the "modern" method and simply has nothing like the flavour and aroma of the floor malted style.

The "kilning" temp you quote will be the "curing" temp, in fact sometimes they will use an even lower number than 150F. There is still a final kilning though at much higher temps - usually aroung 95 to 105C but only after the moisture levels are below 2% or so. This is the stage where the final colour is fixed along with the flavour compounds. The process of floor malting and in the TF case, direct fired kilning with anthracite coals produces a very unique malt. There are only 2 maltings I think, left in the UK that still do this and then ONLY for their ale malts. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Wes

This should clear things up.

Thanks alot Wes.

Damn, I'm fresh out of anthracite coals :unsure: :D

I've never attempted a TTLL brew, but I've experienced the original many times....superb. I'll add a recipe to my long list of 'future brews'...

PS. Anyone know of any retail outlets for this beer in Melbourne??? (G&G used to have it, but not at the moment).
Hutch, 1st Choice in Balwyn has it on the shelves (I bought a few bottles from them a few weeks ago).

Cheers for the tip NRB. Will definitely check it out once SWMBO has forgotten about this latest purchase!

The 12 assorted bottles from megabeer.com arrived today (8 days delivery???).

Including delivery cost, $5 per pint bottle of TTLA is cheap in my books - almost the same price as a pint in ol' Blighty! :p

So can anyone tell me whether it is possible to get TF malts in aus anymore?
Or if not does anyone know the reason why its all bairds now? Price?

Cheers
Q

*BUMP* :D

You guessed it - another fan of TTL. Drank many a pint of that during my 2 year stint in the UK. A very very nice drop indeed. One of the main reasons i took this hobby back up again when i got back. Now that i have made it to the dark side i thought its time i had a crack at this.

As others have done i have spent many hours researching this beer, talking to others, info from pommy forums etc.

Reading this thread it seems that the GP malt we get here is very underwhelming. So how do i go about changing this recipe accordingly? stick with GP and add up to 5% crystal? Switch to MO?

What about yeast?

Cheers
DrSmurto

You guessed it - another fan of TTL. Drank many a pint of that during my 2 year stint in the UK. A very very nice drop indeed. One of the main reasons i took this hobby back up again when i got back. Now that i have made it to the dark side i thought its time i had a crack at this.

As others have done i have spent many hours researching this beer, talking to others, info from pommy forums etc.

Reading this thread it seems that the GP malt we get here is very underwhelming. So how do i go about changing this recipe accordingly? stick with GP and add up to 5% crystal? Switch to MO?

What about yeast?

Cheers
DrSmurto
IMHO, if you're seeking more flavour, and can't get hold of the genuine Fawcett GP malt (and we obviously can't), I'd be trying another floor-malted British grain, such as Maris Otter.

That might really mess with the purists, but may produce a closer taste than any lesser malt, GP or not.

If you can get hold of the malt specs, you can then decide if you need any crystal for minor colour variations.

Cheers
Seth :p

Don't think we can get floor malted M.O anymore either, the bairds isn't.

Correct Jayse. Bairds malt is not floor malted.

We are looking at bringing floor malted in but the cost is a lot higher. Hopefully we can keep it at an accptable level.

cheers Ross

What about yeast?

Cheers
DrSmurto

I still have some of teh TTL Yeast that was done in the bulk buy - stored in the fridge - should still be good.
you are welcome to try some - just drop by the BrewInn.

Ken...

Tim Taylor's landlord, you know a great beer, but very difficult to simulate. Have read an article in a british publication re. landlord. The yeast strain is commercially available. Try wyeast 1463, I have spoken personally to a rep of wyeast and let me know of this little gem. They obtain there malt/s from scottish growers, but can't help with variety. Top choice!!!!!

Sorry to drag up an old thread,but I was wondering if wy 1469 is the correct yeast for TTLLA?Had a look on the wyeast site and 1469 isn't even mentioned.

I see Ross has it.But don't know a lot about UK yeasts.

Cheers

Yes..It is the yeast. Split the pack into starters or slats. It is a LIMITED release.

Cheers tazman,I thought it limited or seasonal.Will order some instantly ;)

Just cracked my first keg of TTL. Very well balanced nicely rounded, carbed, well pours up to the top of the glass with around half an inch of head. With Easter just around the corner can't see this lasting long.

Cheers

Just cracked my first keg of TTL. Very well balanced nicely rounded, carbed, well pours up to the top of the glass with around half an inch of head. With Easter just around the corner can't see this lasting long.

Cheers

What recipe did you use Beernut?

Cheers

RM

Latest posts

Back