Tight Fermenter Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a nice idea from vlbaby last year.

Lid Spanner

As commented it's a bit extreme though :)

Tried to open my screw lid fermenter to rouse the yeasties in a swartzbier thats stuck at 1.024 ...

Couldn't shift it!!!!!! Even with a piece of timber across the lugs as a lever! :(

Any ideas from those who overtighten their fermenter lids? I tried to give the contents a "swirl", but I really think I need to get a paddle in their to break up the yeast cake.

Anyone? :huh:

I have actually poured boiling water around the edge of the lid. Sometimes you may get a bit of a sticky rim from the wort. The lid goes on then when it comes time to remove it F%#K. The hot water seems to soften it a bit.

BYB

I second the food grade lubricant idea. It are grouse. Lid seals better without as much tightening and then undoes much easier... I like my bloops thank you very much.

I find it's easier to loosen the lid when it's still full, the extra weight helps to get a good hold. Well, actually the missus wraps herself around the fermenter and while I undo the lid.

Before sealing it up, I always put keg lube on the O-ring. I use Haynes LubriFilm, a food safe lubricant that I bought from G&G. Be careful though, because it's really easy to badly over-tighten a lubed up lid!

What I do is to screw it up tight, and then loosen it a few times. It helps to seat the O-ring properly so that the final time you tighten it it really doesn't need to be very tight at all to get a good bubble going through the airlock.

Before I started using the lube I had one fermenter lid that was so tight it was impossible to take off. I ended up breaking the little fins off too trying to lever it with a piece of wood. Ended up using the Dremel to cut the darn thing off, and went out and bought another lid. But, at least I got the beer out safely. :beerbang:

....the extra weight helps to get a good hold. Well, actually the missus wraps herself around the fermenter and while I undo the lid.

Before sealing it up, I always put keg lube on the O-ring. I use Haynes LubriFilm, a food safe lubricant that I bought from G&G.
Im not sure that your missus would like the idea of the words 'extra weight' preceeding her name, or the words 'keg lube' coming after it :excl:

anyways. back to thetpoic. brute force and swearing works for me. I have a tendency to overtighten the lid which is made worse when I make lagers etc that are brewed at lower temps, hence everythings contracts and makes the problem worse. Hot water poured over the fermentor might be a good idea to try in those situations.

PS I like my bloop blopps too. makes you feel all warm and fuzzy hearing your beer make that noise :p

When my fermenter lids are tight, I put the fermenter on the floor, hold it with my feet/calves & use my body weight to help push down on the lid while turning it. I find the downwards pressure helps to crack any seal thats developed from vigorous agitation or yeast activity (the fact the fermetner is too full would never have anything to do with it I'm sure :rolleyes: )

Beers

crozdog

I've used a leather belt.

placed around threaded thru loop then pull backward in an anticlock wise direction

I've done this, when I used to over tighten. Works a treat.

Another one for undoing the fermenter lid (and this will seem a bit esoteric) is visualisation. Just stop for a few seconds before you attempt to undo it and 'feel' or imagine the lid undoing. This results in the brain working your muscles most efficiently. Works well though I'm not sure it'll help jimmy. Maybe a jackhammer Jimmy?

tywebb.jpg

"There is a force in the universe that makes things happen...and all you have to do is get in touch with it. Stop thinking...let things happen...and be the lid"

Latest posts

Back