TIAB (Trub In A Bag)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Normally not necessary, it falls out very effectively because it's insoluble.
Yeah, it's not something I am worried about when using Brewbrite, however I have had others mention it. I am fairly lazy and just use whirfloc most of the time(or brewbrite if I have it) and follow up with gelatine in the keg. When I am keen or know I need to transport a keg, I will use brewbrite in the kettle followed by polyclar in the transfer keg and filter. (much better result)

Cheers

IIRC, there was someone on here, not that long ago that used a round perforated cake tin like contraption at the bottom of the kettle to trap the trub. Simple and ingenious. Keep meaning to shamelessly steal the idea, but haven't got round to it yet.

That's basically what I've got, it's just made of cloth. I might make one out of SS mesh instead and see if it stays down better: there was some trub caught under the cloth, presumably because it's close to neutrally bouyant in wort.

Blind Dog said:
IIRC, there was someone on here, not that long ago that used a round perforated cake tin like contraption at the bottom of the kettle to trap the trub. Simple and ingenious. Keep meaning to shamelessly steal the idea, but haven't got round to it yet.
Yeah I remember that, genius idea. Didn't think it was perforated though...?

This might be a cheap and sturdy option?

sieve.jpg

Avanti Stainless Steel Drum Sieve 25cm
Product Code: 23110
PRICE : $7.95
(Shipping is $8.90 flat rate Australia-wide)
http://www.everten.com.au/avanti-25cm-stainless-steel-drum-sieve.html

Method would be to drop the drum sieve into the kettle immediately after boil.
Whirlpool the wort to pull the suspended trub material away from the pot walls and into the centre in the form of a column (there's a common misconception that whirlpooling forms a cone of the trub on the bottom of the pot, but it doesn't. Whirlpooling moves the trub into the centre of the vessel in the form of a rotating column).
Then leave it all alone and allow gravity to drag the trub down to form a cone-shaped deposit on top of the stainless wire of the sieve.
Drain wort from kettle via tap leaving behind the trub trapped within the sieve.

In my experience, for that to work properly there has to be some way for wort to flow out of the sides as well as the bottom. You could cut slots or drill holes in the drum sieve but since I've got different types of SS mesh anyway I'm just going to make it from that.

I'm going to try #16 mesh for the sides and #32 mesh for the base and see how it goes.

Feldon said:
Whirlpooling moves the trub into the centre of the vessel in the form of a rotating column
It was apparently Albert Einstein who worked out why it happened (stochastic walk) over a cup of tea.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
It was apparently Albert Einstein who worked out why it happened (stochastic walk) over a cup of tea.
Albert was a keen homebrewer. Only kits though. Never made the quantum leap to all grain.

But his kit beers were very good, relatively speaking.

Reading this thread..could find a use for my Ikea splatter guard thing I've for years..

Blind Dog said:

Matplat said:
Yeah I remember that, genius idea. Didn't think it was perforated though...?
I saw this too. By my memory, it was a steel dog bowl with the inside cut out (so it was just the outside cylinder that sloped in a little). Trapped an absolute shiteload of his trub after a good whirlpool.

I keep meaning to try it with one of this springiform pans (used for cheescakes, etc.) with the bottom taken out. My only concern is that it may not be heavy enough......

Regarding the gelatine, I used it once or twice to drop more yeast out, then switched to isinglass. I don't think gelatine will be going anywhere near any of my beers ever again. Stupid fluffy yeast sediment, kind of defeats the purpose. It's nicely compacted with isinglass.

The only time I've seen issues with gelatine is when too much is used. I do 15-16L batches & use just under half a teaspoon. Works brilliantly with zero fluffy crap. I've seen on the internet some people say to use 1 or even 2 teaspoons in a 23L batch. This is too much.

I definitely didn't use 2 teaspoons. It was somewhere between half and 1 teaspoon for 25 litre batches, left in there at cold crashing temps for about 3 days before it was bottled. Either way, fluffy sediment was the result so I switched and have been very happy with the performance of the isinglass ever since.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
D: In beer the pH is closer to the isoelectric point so it's less effective
I should point out that I was wrong here: the effect of isoelectric point is probably different in wine and beer, wine relies on the presence of phenolics to assist with the precipitation of the protein. I do not know if that is the case with gelatine in beer, since it isn't used by commercial brewers so not much research has been done.

Was just in IKEA and saw this and thought it might suit this purpose... $5 and 100% stainless

1481941254931.jpg

Latest posts

Back