Think I've stuffed my cider.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Put down my first cider on Tuesday - 5l of store bought juice mixed with 5l of fresh squeezed juice. Noticed today some white spots sitting on top of Juice foam which was created as a result of juicing the fresh fruit.

Could it be mould? I have a sneaking feeling. Took a couple of dodgy photos through the glad wrap seal..... The spot can be seen just above '6 o'clock'........

image.jpgimage.jpg

Photos have not come up well when viewed - at least on my iPad they haven't. Can't really see too well what I'm referring to...

My guess is I should have reduced the headspace in the fermenter and mixed in the foam.....

Any thoughts....

if you were sanitary and pitched enough yeast , why would you think it was mould ?
Headspace is irrelevant...and has absolutely nothing to do with the production of mould...as long as your yeast is active and producing gasses as it metaolises the sugar , you have nothing to worry about...unless you weren't clean...i'd also be wondering about the fresh juice...it's not sterile...
Mixing in foam isn't gonna cause unfermentation , either....
Just relax, take a sample in a couple of days and see if it tastes "off"
Cheers
Ferg

Did you let the fresh juice sit for 10 or so minutes after you juiced it?
It looks like the pulp floating on top there. If so, it could very well be a bit of mould.
Just get a sanitised spoon and scoop it out. It should be fine.

Added 5g of cider yeast - didn't think it would need anymore only being a 10l batch....plus added a little extra sugar.

Bit hard to spoon out - it's a 10l plastic jerry can.......small opening at top......

Sanitised the jerry can and juicing equipment......

Headspace is important, so is a good lid and seal. Don't get into the gladwrap thing if you are making cider, you need to keep airspace minimal and a good seal, oxygen is the enemy of good cider.
A few little white bits aren't going to hurt, but letting air in is the best way to encourage infections. Cider is not meant to be sterile, but it is meant to be made without air contact as much as possible (after pressing - air during juicing is fine).

Ok - so don't try and get white bits out and screw lid on........

Next time you may also want to rack the freshly squeezed juice off the pulp. The pulp, as it dries out on top can get mould on it if it is exposed to oxygen (and by the brown colour there is plenty of oxygen around).

I let my juice settle overnight and the pulp rises to the top. I then then run it off from under the pulp into the fermenter.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back