"Things I'm sure you don't need to do to make great beer&#

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoboseyo said:
The difference is that clinical trials for medicine are conducted for the purpose of predicting its effectiveness in the real world when its applied in the same conditions as in the trial. When it comes to brewing, where they have the means to conduct R&D to improve their processes, i.e, commercial breweries, is not always applicable to homebrew, and their goals are different so the scientific method applied to both instances follow different paradigms - they are much more about creating a consistent product than an objectively good product, and there's very little good science when it comes to what flavours are favourable and thresholds at which they are distinguishable, which is important for homebrewers.
I don't think brewing science and medical science are as different as you make out. You might as well contend that medicine isn't valid in the real world because there's no real way of guaging whether people 'feel better'.

Leaving that aside for a moment and going back to my my original point - if you call accepting a long history of brewing science as accepting dogma or a leap of faith, why accept Marshall and his exbeeriments carried out under dubious circumstances on the other side of the world?

I'm all in favour of people trying what works for them. Always have been, always will be. If someone else has tried it 8 billion times and quantified it, don't be surprised when it works out you've flogged a dead horse though.

@peteru : I'm in favour of an educated opinion over simply an opinion.

Everyone's entitled to have an opinion but they're not entitled to expect it to automatically carry any weight.

Back to welly2's topic. To make good beer I don't need to read page after page of highly intelligent and I'm sure very nice people vying for the "Smarty-pants Cup".

manticle said:
@peteru : I'm in favour of an educated opinion over simply an opinion.
Then we are in agreement. Quality of content matters.

manticle said:
Everyone's entitled to have an opinion but they're not entitled to expect it to automatically carry any weight.
Yes, the old adage: Respect has to be earned.

I think we pretty much agree on most things here and perhaps the form of communication (forum posts) is not quite fluid enough to establish that. I'm pretty sure that in a face to face setting over a few good beers, we'd be singing the same tune.

For the record I'm not wound up at all.

If my previous post came across as passive-aggressive, it most certainly wasn't intended to be. It was my guess on what caused those involved to get heated.

Latest posts

Back