Things I Have Leart From Home Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. PBW is not a substitute for 5.2 Stabalizer
2. PBW doesn't taste too bad in a finished beer

Following on from Argon...

When you get distracted adding 5.2 to your mash, ten times the recommended dosage will not make you sick.

Yes this did happen to me. Dont ask me how....

Needless to say, i didnt have a problem with my pH that brewday.

1. You are the most desireable when brewing. Try and get some all week and get knocked back, start brewing and suddenly you're weizen has been boiling for 3 hours and smells burnt from trub/protein getting onto the element. somehow you're still smiling. (not trying to claim 3 hours, I had other things like cubes to empty before the boil could be finished)

2. The burnt smell seems to settle out with the trub, but a bit of ginger will cover the last of it quite nicely making for a very nice beer.

You can live like a hermit all your life with no one paying you any attention, but as soon as your planned brew day turns up everyone wants a piece of your time - the phone keeps ringing, people come knocking at the door, the kids need to be picked up and driven all over town, the wife needs you to pay an urgent bill, pick up her dry cleaning, someone you haven't heard from in years rings you up for a chat etc. For God's sake, leave me alone :angry:

According to the wife;

1. Leaving the house and going out for 4 hours is perfectly acceptable
2. Staying at home and brewing for 4 hours is totally unacceptable

3 more learnt this week :(

1. If you have a last minute change of heart on which cube you're going to pour into the fermenter then you probably need to review your yeast selection to make sure you've got something remotely reasonable.
2. Yeast for a punchy ESB will probably not impress in a bland lager intended for the general new years crowd.
3. if you decide to throw an extra fermenter in a fridge that you store commercial bottles in and that fermenter happens to throw off some "interesting" smells it will be all you taste drinking from the bottles.

According to the wife;

1. Leaving the house and going out for 4 hours is perfectly acceptable
2. Staying at home and brewing for 4 hours is totally unacceptable

Saturday: quote.

Missus JD: just off to chadstone for a few hours.
Me: no worries, have a nice afternoon.

Sunday: quote.

Me: just about to start brewing so I'll be busy for a few hours.
Missus JD: Are you really going to waste 4 hours on a sunday making beer?

Six hours walking around the shopping centre (and not buying anything) is an afternoon well spent, but 4 hours of making beer is a waste of an afternoon? Please explain?

Six hours walking around the shopping centre (and not buying anything) is an afternoon well spent, but 4 hours of making beer is a waste of an afternoon? Please explain?
To answer that is to answer the ultimate question, ie, what are women actually thinking?

So to answer your question, 42

Dood, you got 6 hours of peace and she did not buy anything! Win Win. :ph34r:

women logic.... i think we will never get it, not because its more advanced, but because as males, we tend to think logically, a word unknown by women.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

back on topic:

1. temperature is an important ingredient
2. rinse out bottles after use, unless u like dry hopped cockys and a blue cheese malt character...

1. There is very little difference between making a tutorial thread that gets 50,000 hits and SkyNet becoming self-aware.

2. The PMs launch like ICBMs.

3. This is not a problem, until someone bumps it ... again. :lol:

The thing I learnt that it was worth doing a plumbing apprenticship before taking up home brewing. Makes life so much easier.

You learn to reign in your ADD. well sometimes anyw....Oh look something shiny and expensive!

You learn to reign in your ADD. well sometimes anyw....Oh look something shiny and expensive!

You have mentioned your ADD twice in as many hours !

We all have the same issues with shiny stuff, bro. Brewers are no different to European magpies in that regard

I've just learnt that including my labour and materials, but not the shiny, blingy gear, water or electricity, I'd have to sell a longneck of my IPA for 40 bucks to make a $2 profit on each bottle.

or you find yourself in the big green shed looking at welders and dreaming of building a new rig. even though you have never welded before and know nothing about it. but you still start thinking

Latest posts

Back