Things I Have Leart From Home Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have learnt do not dicuss beer related topics to your wife or any context about beer. tell them nothing they want to no nothing about it at all so dont involve them.

sav

1. I haven't had a question yet that hasn't already been answered somewhere on AHB, but sometimes you have to wade through a lot of crap to find it

2. $19 pot from Big W was the best money I ever spent on brew gear, but things have gotten expensive since then

3. Having a megaswill drinker say "this doesn't taste like homebrew" then pour himself another (and another) was gold

Cheers,
Flewy

Hell yeah on that one... always a very nice compliment from the megaswill drinkers out there!

- boingk

1. if you brew a bad beer serve it ice cold so you can't taste it
2. if you brew a great beer serve it on the cold side of warm and taste that nectar of the gods

Don't check the immersion chiller for leaks while it's in the boil. I can't believe I just did that.

PBW / Nappisan cleans everything.
Making wine is physically easier than making beer. It just takes so dang long for the clouds to settle.

Some folks think cascade is bitter

Some folks think dark beer has more alcohol.

My kids think hot wort smells like ketchup.

I'm not saving any money after I purchased and built all my equipment. Maybe next year I'll be heavier on the credit side of the ledger. (comparing cheap beer and craft brews to HB-ing too).
If 5-6Kg base malt per 23L batch still costs about $3/Kg in the states.

You can buy big bags of base malt direct from your local grain elevator. Come this Spring I will do just that.

To buy Napisan at Big W ... cheapest place I have found .. happy to be corrected though !!! :)
And Beer clubs are cool ... a bit daunting to begin with but once settled in ... Awesome ... Nice to be Surrounded by fellow Beer addicts...

Well done West Coast !!!

To buy Napisan at Big W ... cheapest place I have found .. happy to be corrected though !!! :)
And Beer clubs are cool ... a bit daunting to begin with but once settled in ... Awesome ... Nice to be Surrounded by fellow Beer addicts...

Well done West Coast !!!

It pays to check the gas pressure setting on your regulator before using a carbonation cap on a PET bottle <_<

1. You don't have to be wealthy to drink the best beers money can buy.
2. The journey (process of making it) is as enjoyable as the destination - which is good because life is 99% journey.
3. Make the right habits (ie, don't leave taps on, keep things clean, don't shortcut on sanitisation) and they reward you.
4. But that i'm still infinitely capable of doing just really stupid things.

First time using quick disconnects don't pull them off the HLT when there's 95C water inside and the tap's open

1. How to make good beer.
2. How to make shit beer.
3 How to tell the difference.

I have learnt do not dicuss beer related topics to your wife or any context about beer. tell them nothing they want to no nothing about it at all so dont involve them.

sav

+1
It will never end well ;)

Batz

How to solder
How to work stainless steel properly
How to weld
How to build a kegerator
How to program arduino (still learning)
How to make good beer
How to clone great beers
How to use excel properly
How to build a good recipe from scratch
How to impress your friends and other people with beer on tap at BBQs
How to build a great mancave/brewery/ for sanctuary from SWMBO during those monthlies
How to barter for goods from other brewers using beer as a commodity...

I also just learnt what the acronym SWMBO means, yeah I know I am slow

Back