Thick, Rich Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm making an ale using Coopers Real Ale (maybe 2 cans?), 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1, and 500g Light Dry Malt. I still havn't decided which hops to use yet and was thinking of maybe doing an 18 litre brew instead of a 23 litre brew, just to thicken it up.

Some questions I need answered are:
- What hops would be best in an ale?
- Should I use 1 or 2 cans of Coopers Real Ale?
- Is doing an 18 litre brew a good idea?

Any answers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ryanator, I recently did a brew using Coopers Pale Ale kit with 800grams of coopers brew enhancer 2 and 500 grams of Light malt extract. turned out REALLY good. I used the recultured yeast from a the dregs of a few bottles of coopers pale ale.

I think the CPA kit is one of the best on the market, especially if you are a fan of the beer cos it comes out very similar.

using two cans of real ale would be a little over the top I think.. especially at 18 litres. there are better ways of getting some mouthfeel to your beer and avoiding that thin beer taste of kits. probably the easiest way, if you want a "thicker" beer as you put it would be to add 1kg of malt extract and maybe only 750 grams of the brew enhancer two. make it to 20-21Litres.

as for hops.. feel free to experiment.. Coopers beers that you buy from the shop use pride of ringwood exclusively in there beer (I think).

they mgiht be a good place to start for an aussie ale. you could also try goldings for a more english style bitter. There are heaps to choose from..

Try MB89. Similar to POR, but a blend. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would be good. Perhaps it's a POR/Goldings blend.

The kits probably have Pride of Ringwood already in them. You can't really go wrong adding Goldings.

Latest posts

Back