The Worst Commercial Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tooheys Draught/New or whatever they call it these days. I reckon it must be brewed in rusted out 44 gallon drums.
VB and Crown aren't far behind it.

Worst beer I've had at a pub was a scharers lager. drank it at a pub in pyrmont.. terrible. tasted soo wrong.

Have to agree with bugwan here, have drunk a few scharers over the years and quite like it then about 18mths ago in one of my locals (The Boundary Hotel, in Redfern) had the most disgusting slop ever served up. You couldn't even call it beer, it was this infected pond juice - cloudy, vinegary with this god-awful smell. Needless to say it was straight back to the bar for a swap. This was shortly after the two lads took over the brewery and it was taken off tap at this pub shortly after.

Apologies for OT: - I haven't been in there for a while but dropped in a week ago and they now have three Barons beers on tap - Black wattle seed, pale ale and lager. Pale Ale wasn't the best but I enjoyed the other two

Tooheys Draught/New or whatever they call it these days. I reckon it must be brewed in rusted out 44 gallon drums.
VB and Crown aren't far behind it.

Had a Hammer and Tongs the other night, followed by a Tooheys New, both from the inlaws beer fridge.
The H&T won, it was at least drinkable (and wasn't half bad as far as a thirst quencher went, just a bit bland).
The new was shite

Tooheys New is a lay down misere for worst Australian beer. I think they use rejected bread yeast.

Has anybody actually tried that bottled liquid from New Zealand called Tui? Evil has a new name.

You have one of the worst right there in your avatar pickledkiwi2 - Speights gold medal bland cold fizzy adjunct riddled sweet caramelly amber lager.

Dude I think I have finally found a fellow countryman I may not like :(
I bet you were a Lion red man or prehaps a you were more into Reineck drink :) or better still a Stienlager Blue man :D

If you were to take a tour of the great southern beer factory in Dunedin even you bush islanders may come around.

Even if not your allowed your opinion,
sample on :chug:

Next Foriegn dogies would bein order:
The "Oragibom" (not sure of spelling, but think it came from europe somewhere)

Cheers and Beers

It's Oranjeboom, from Holland. (Means 'orange tree'.) I have tried it. Not horrendous. Not stupendous. But then mine didn't have 'crude' additives.

Has anybody actually tried that bottled liquid from New Zealand called Tui? Evil has a new name.

yeah my sister in laws fiance drinks it.....he offered me one the other night after i'd finished off my six pack of LCPA. I politely said no, I'll have a glass of lemonade instead.
Cheers
Steve

"RESCH'S DINNER ALE"
DA is actually funny in that I think what they do is put odd batches of other stuff in there and call it DA.

I bought it once and though "this is great for a CU beer". It was really malty and had great mouth feel. Then I bought it the next week and it was pretty much Carlton Draught. Thin and tasteless.

It's Oranjeboom, from Holland. (Means 'orange tree'.) I have tried it. Not horrendous. Not stupendous. But then mine didn't have 'crude' additives.

Thanks for the spelling Geoff, It was propably as much the treatment of the cans in transit as the oil additives that did for the taste, but hey after 7 or 12 of them in a dry country where it was illegal to drink anything alcoholic, its all good.
:super:

Is is just me, or does the "Award-winning Redoak Rauch" taste just like burnt mash/bacon?

I was looking forward to opening this one today - Damned if my 50L German pilsener I recently tipped down the drain due to scorching the mash a little didn't taste equally as good, if not better. |-o

I actually thought Oranjeboom (Orangutang Boom) was a breath of half decent beer in a store full of shit last time I bought it, not sure what it would taste like with added crude though :lol:

And lets not start picking on Speights. Next to any Aussie mega swill it's liquid $^$&# gold in a bottle. (Right then, I'll just go put the gloves and helmet on....)

... James Squire Golden Ale ...
... Matilda Bay Alpha Ale ...

I find both to be pretty average. Reasonable tasting mainstream beers at the absoulte best. Both are pretty much to style but lack the excellent malt profile to balance the hops.
Both beers make me glad I live in NZ. If any of you get a chance to try this years Three Boys Golden Ale - grab it with both hands.

I also find it hard to believe that Super Alpha is using imported Cascade. It's not a patch on Little Creature's or Epic.

However... to even mention them in a worst commercial beer thread is worth lynching, isn't it? Who's got the rope.

Back