Unusual flavour in VB/MB/Carlton?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nineball

Reaction score
Having become familiar with the taste of all different kinds of beer, I now notice that VB, Melbourne Bitter and Carlton Draught have this odd taste that I don't find in international lagers - I would (badly) describe it as a tart bitterness that comes with a faint burning rubber smell.

Does CUB use some brewing methods/ingredients that are unique to them? Is this the taste of "traditional Australian beer" that would have been more common in the decades past?

Well apart from a faint Sulphur smell that comes from the yeast strain and how its used...
All three are brewed over gravity, diluted post fermentation; brewed in fermenters about 6 stories high which puts a lot of pressure (stress) on the yeast; contain a lot of sugar (Sucrose - reportedly up to 40% of gravity); have all the hops added post fermentation as extracts/pre-isomerised hop products and are bunged through the brewery in about half the time it takes to make a typical "International Lager".
It really surprises me how inoffensive they are all things considered!
Mark

PS
No I'm not a fan.
M

I always seem to get a bready sort of aftertaste with these beers. I'll drink them if they're free but I wouldn't buy a slab.

Latest posts

Back