Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Unusual flavour in VB/MB/Carlton?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nineball, 7/6/19.

1. Nineball

Posted 7/6/19
    Having become familiar with the taste of all different kinds of beer, I now notice that VB, Melbourne Bitter and Carlton Draught have this odd taste that I don't find in international lagers - I would (badly) describe it as a tart bitterness that comes with a faint burning rubber smell.

Does CUB use some brewing methods/ingredients that are unique to them? Is this the taste of "traditional Australian beer" that would have been more common in the decades past?

2. MHB

Posted 7/6/19
    Well apart from a faint Sulphur smell that comes from the yeast strain and how its used...
    All three are brewed over gravity, diluted post fermentation; brewed in fermenters about 6 stories high which puts a lot of pressure (stress) on the yeast; contain a lot of sugar (Sucrose - reportedly up to 40% of gravity); have all the hops added post fermentation as extracts/pre-isomerised hop products and are bunged through the brewery in about half the time it takes to make a typical "International Lager".
    It really surprises me how inoffensive they are all things considered!
    Mark

PS
    No I'm not a fan.
    M

Garagebrew, razz and Lager Bloke like this.
  3. Garagebrew

Posted 8/6/19
    I always seem to get a bready sort of aftertaste with these beers. I'll drink them if they're free but I wouldn't buy a slab.

4. Timbo

Posted 14/7/19
    I notice this most in CD. Definite bread aftertaste!

Garagebrew likes this.