The Worst Commercial Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My worst ever - and I have had plenty of bland fizz in my time is Powers Bitter. Its below the Tooheys & VB bar - which is oh so low already.. Most over-rated - yep - Crownies. I always have a good laugh, when at overpriced functions/receptions where the new couple of father of the groom etc pay top $$$ and opt for Crown Lager. I go round and tell people that these Crownies are just Fosters in a fancy bottle, to attract women to drink beer. Maybe its a myth, why spoil a good story with a bit of truth anyway? After hearing the 'Fosters in a fancy bottle' yarn, people start drinking wine, spirits, whatever.
Back to Powers - does it still exist? I defy anyone to admit to liking it!

Worst End Dirt, Crownies, Carton Draught Soap and Bluetongue are the beers I'd skip and have a glass of wine instead.

The only beer I've ever had to tip out was a Lawrence Victor Coonawarra Ale. I chewed through the first one but when I tried it a second time I just couldn't do it.

I suppose my vote for worst beer would be the only one I can remember tipping out. I can't even remember the name (stricken from my memory) but it was a chilli beer from, I think, Sunshine Coast Brewery?

I'm actually a big chilli and beer (obviously) fan, just not mixed together that way.

Honourable mention also to Hahn Ice. Bought a slab years ago cause it was cheap. Didn't tip 'em out but gee it was a struggle.

Scott

XXXX Bitter, I'm sure the XXXX stands for Metamucil the next day :blink: :D

Last year- had a Budweiser at LA airport while in transit. Thinking maybe it tastes better here. Wife had to finish it. Seriously, one good thing about Bud Lite is that is has almost no taste, which puts it ahead of a lot of mainstream US beers, that I just could not drink.

Recently had the misfortune to purchase a sixer of Byron Bay "Premium Ale". I was out of HB ale and thought I would go buy something different at the bottlo for a change.

1. its not an ale, its just megaswill lager - ala VB
2. see above

I sometimes don't get why some people quote beers as being bland and boring and taste like nothing as being the worst beers, doesn't make sense. I'd rather drink a beer like that than a bad beer which actually tastes awfull, I take bland and boring over horrible anyday.

Yes of course. But in my books, Good = tasty and interesting, therefore Bad = bland and boring. Foul tasting beers are of course worse.

Anyone who picks a Tooheys Spew over a Crownie needs to have their head and Palate examined. Tooheys Spew is a horrible beer. Its watery and has a horrible off like tang on the end of it. Crownies do have their bad batches - thats for sure - but when they are good (and this is most of the time) honestly - tell me what part of the flavour is undesirable. The crownies I have in the fridge atm are smooth and crisp with a slightly sweet malt flavour followed by a lasting smooth bitter after taste that on a fresh spring afternoon is pretty dam fine. The only thing I can bag is the aroma - ordinary because of the POR but that like CSA is part of the character.
I am a passionate AG home brewer and still to this day If I am offered a crownie I gladly accept.

Cheers! :chug:

On another forum I frequent someone just described Crown as tasting like parmesan and vomit. I couldn't think of the words for the last one I had, but that description pretty much sums it up. I make no apologies to those who like it, it is a shockingly bad beer for the money. Doesn't hold a candle to other Australian Premium lagers. Each to his own, tho. Each to his own. I might wake up one day and discover my palate has changed, but I really doubt it.

After enjoying a recent 2 weeks holiday over in Fiji I would have to say this stuff is the worst I have tried and I have a good idea why:
It has something to do with the fosters group.
No shortage of cane sugar in Fiji and I think at least 30% makes it into this beer.
It's called Bitter but it's a Lager but only in the brew length and maybe a serving fridge.
They do a watered down version called Gold.
l_894bf31e55d7c055ff69ff92949950c2.jpg

If it wasn't for the tropical heat... :blink:

- Luke

I've never had a commercial beer i couldnt drink.

.... two Nigerian beers served in Lagos, with formaldehyde as ingredient (cheap preservative in 3rd world places). They are Star Lager and Gilder (Nigerian Gilder). Ever wanted to die after a night on the lash - these two will bring you close to feeling like suicide as a easy way out of dealing with the hangover

I back up the Formaldehyde assertion. Worst beer I ever had was Egyptian Stella. Apparently the Mummies arent the only thing in Egypt preserved with formaldehyde :ph34r:

Even the (now faint) memory of this beer makes me feel like wretching. :huh:

Festa.

After enjoying a recent 2 weeks holiday over in Fiji I would have to say this stuff is the worst I have tried and I have a good idea why:
No shortage of cane sugar in Fiji and I think at least 30% makes it into this beer.
It's called Bitter but it's a Lager but only in the brew length and maybe a serving fridge.
l_894bf31e55d7c055ff69ff92949950c2.jpg

- Luke
Ah yes, the old Fiji Bitter!

Yep, the tropical heat did help this baby go down.
Would've been tastier if it weren't for those f@@king flies landing in each and every schooner!

Cairns Draught.

After a week on a fossil dig 100 km out of Charters Towers, someone turned up with a slab of this stuff. Even with a throat full of dust this is quite simply unbloodydrinkable.

Off to Vanuatu next week. Home of the dreaded 'Tusker'. Another CUB ******* child, I believe. Not exactly offensively bad, but pretty bland and so little head it would pass for a local in Sleepy Hollow.

I should add that Vanuatu has it's own 'VB' -- Vanuatu Bitter.

- Luke

:lol: :lol: Basically Fiji VB... Hey that rhymes.

Warren -

The last two bad commercial beers I had the misfortune of putting to my lips and did not finish was Blue Tounge Lager and that Cold Ultra Chill Carlton beer - YUK!

Latest posts

Back