The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cranking out snags since I was at Uni 99-01 and have supplied snags to sandgroper brewdays on a couple of occasions(AusDB, Deebees Sangroptoberfest 05 & Ashers). I use my grandmothers meat grinder with a hog casing funnel and get my natural hog casings from Master Butchers Ltd for $20(Enough to last me a couple of years). Favourite recipes have been Bratwurst(Pork n Veal) and Italian pork snags(Plenty of Fennel seed)and I prefer a coarse grind but always seem to go a bit low on the fat content....probably due to living with a Health Promotion graduate....this causes the snags to be a little on the dry side.

I will dig up pics n recipes when I get home tonight.

Chrissy Casing Swap?

Xmas beer/snag/cheese case swap?

Dammit Andrew. now i want to make sausages too...

Can you make Kabana? i know it's smoked, but is there recipes out there?

This one makes a nice sausage. Only made it twice but pretty tasty.

Thuringian Pork Sausage

Per 1 kg pork

18 gm salt
2 gm pepper
1 gm mace
1 gm ground ginger
0.3 gm cardamom
1.5 gm caraway
1 gm marjoram
zest of 1/2 lemon

cheers,
Andrew.

If this site was once called "Greg Metha's Home sausage making", I used the kangaroo recipe many times until little Johnnie Howard took my rifle from me. Also there was a recipe for some Thai sausages (Larp Moo Sausage). These are a real winner. The only trouble is that in West Aust, the coriander and lime can cost more than the pork.
Incidently, I cant seem to access Pete and Gregs recipes to see if they are the ones I printed off the above mentioned site.

If this site was once called "Greg Metha's Home sausage making", I used the kangaroo recipe many times until little Johnnie Howard took my rifle from me. Also there was a recipe for some Thai sausages (Larp Moo Sausage). These are a real winner. The only trouble is that in West Aust, the coriander and lime can cost more than the pork.
Incidently, I cant seem to access Pete and Gregs recipes to see if they are the ones I printed off the above mentioned site.

Tony

Here is the original page which has the roo and thai sausage recipe. Damn they look tasty!

Cheers
DrSmurto

Harris Scarfe are selling a meat grinder with sausage attachment (I rang and asked) for $79.95.
The Mrs is on her way :)

Meat Grinder

C&B
TDA

Nice find TDA, very similar to mine. Just be aware that with this style of mincer the sausage funnel is quite large, you will not be able to make thin sausages, but the thick ones are a breeze.

Cheers
Andrew

Nice find TDA, very similar to mine. Just be aware that with this style of mincer the sausage funnel is quite large, you will not be able to make thin sausages, but the thick ones are a breeze.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for that info Andrew. I am sure I could make up a suitable funnel to make thin sausages as well.

Going to be a busy weekend in the kitchen.

C&B
TDA

I saw a meat grinder with sausage attatchment in big w for $69 i think.. normal price.

Anyone got a recipe for Emu sausages? I've had them a few times and they were delicious...

EDIT: Funny how we can eat our nations national emblems hey...imagine the stink in the States if you roasted a Bald Eagle!

I'm sure it would just taste like chicken. Roo on the other hand, tasty tasty!

The hardest thing about making your own sausages is training a good sausage puller.

Dammit Andrew. now i want to make sausages too...

Can you make Kabana? i know it's smoked, but is there recipes out there?

If I can make kabana (at Kawana :lol: ) I am starting to get interested here.
I have an old hand-cranked mincer that belonged to my dear old long departed aunt (one of those things that you screw on to the bench top & turn like s#*t) & am wondering if it would be any good for making snags? Will post a pic when I get the chance.

:beer:

If I can make kabana (at Kawana :lol: ) I am starting to get interested here.
I have an old hand-cranked mincer that belonged to my dear old long departed aunt (one of those things that you screw on to the bench top & turn like s#*t) & am wondering if it would be any good for making snags? Will post a pic when I get the chance.

I have looked high and low for a Kabana recipe since Fixa posted but I have had no luck, but there has to be one somewhere. Pete post the pic and your questions will be answered, sounds like a Porkert mincer, they make very good sausages.

Cheers
Andrew

I have looked high and low for a Kabana recipe since Fixa posted but I have had no luck, but there has to be one somewhere. Pete post the pic and your questions will be answered, sounds like a Porkert mincer, they make very good sausages.

Cheers
Andrew

Will do ASAP! Cheers mate. See you on the 28th. :party:

Latest posts

Back