The Queensland Homebrewing Conference (The QHC)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone going to be able to give me a cold homebrew before I talk at 10am?

Bring your note books as I'm giving away my GABS beer recipe.

tomorrow
tomorrow
I love you tomorrow
you're only a day away

Here is the recipe from my preso today...enjoy

[SIZE=18pt]Original [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Gravity (OG): 1.037 (°P): 9.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Alcohol (ABV): 2.67 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Colour (SRM): 8.2 (EBC): 16.1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Bitterness (IBU): 62.3 (Average)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]50% Pale Ale Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]25% [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Caramalt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]25% Wheat Malt [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Weyermann[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]1.3 g/L Pride of Ringwood (9.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]1.7 g/L Cluster (7.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]1.3 g/L Cluster (7.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]0.9 g/L Cluster (7.6% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Fermented at 18°C with [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Danstar[/SIZE][SIZE=18pt] Windsor[/SIZE]

thanks wade.
I haveaudio recordings of wades presentation if anyone is interested.
I recorded all of the main presentations except IanWatson's minimising oxidationandtheimproving your bees panel discussion.
Iwill make them all available on dropbox if people areinterested. not sure if there is the ability to share them here on ahb?

Spewing I missed the conference. Wade, I really like your Ippy Challenger - very flavoursome mid strength beer.

I had a great time at the last conference and the dinner but couldn't make it this time. Hope you all had a great night.

I didn't end up getting there either but would love to hear the Audio of the presentations.Could you drop us a link Radshoes? I'd really appreciate it.

Well, it's over for another two years. The second Queensland Homebrewing Conference was bigger and better than the first – more beer, more speakers, more prizes, more fun. It's hard to pick highlights with such quality speakers, but Ian Watson's one handed demonstration of oxygen free kegging was definitely up there. Josh's laid back presentation style (a result of lunch time beers) was a definite contrast to Dean, who pulled out all the stops to keep us awake during the afternoon, post-lunch death session! And finally a special mention to the babes in lab coats, those fine looking brewers from Townsville!

So some statistics – 1030 litres of some of the best beer in Australia, 140 keen brewers, 60 well satiated diners, 11 presenters, 2 brilliant post-dinner entertainers (courtesy of the Scratch Bar) and 1 clear winner in the Club Beer Wars.

Once again, we need to recognise the support given by our sponsors - 4 Hearts, Green Beacon, Bridge Road, Fortitude Brewing, Blue Sky, Holgate, Brewbake, Brewhouse Brisbane, and All Inn for our beers; Cryermalt, Bintani and Imake for product; and Superwhatnot, Scratch, Archive, Tipplers Taps and Bitter Suite for the hotly contested door prizes.

Also, a special mention to those presenters who came simply to help educate us about other aspects of brewing – Noriko Watson (Sake), Tony Jacobs, (Yeast Management), Scott McNulty (Whisky), Dean Tummers (Old English Beers), and Micah Rees (Brewing equipment).

Notes from the presentations will be posted on the QHC website over the next week, so keep checking in. Beer Wars videos will also go up over the next week. If we are able, the audio presentations will also go up on the site.

So, to everyone that contributed and everyone that attended, I hope you had a great time and have already earmarked 2015 for the next Queensland Homebrewing Conference. See you then.

Spiegelau Glass Deal

For those who were dead impressed with the Spiegelau Glasses, we have been able to do a deal with Spiegelau to get more glasses at a discount price - Just $45. They can be bought on the Brewers Choice webshop - www.brewerschoice.com.au

Look forward to seeing all the photos, videos ect and results too!! poor old GoldCLUB didn't even get a place for Club Wars but still happy to participate in the event.

tricache said:
poor old GoldCLUB didn't even get a place for Club Wars but still happy to participate in the event.
As long as your beer wasn't the diacetyl bomb or the stand-out winner the rest were pretty on par IMO.

Parks said:
As long as your beer wasn't the diacetyl bomb or the stand-out winner the rest were pretty on par IMO.
We all tried it the night before the conference and all seemed to enjoy it, no mention of diacetyl...what club ended up winning and with what beer?

tricache said:
What club ended up winning and with what beer?
Townsville club I believe (just a regular pale ale).

Parks said:
Townsville club I believe (just a regular pale ale).
Yep, Righteous Brewers of Townsville. This was the stand out beer for me - clean & well made, with a good presence of late hops. Turns out it was decocted and keg-hopped! BABBs came in second and BBC third.

Townsville's keg was number 6. It won by a significant margin. Clearly the result of simple good brewing - no tricks!

Brewers Choice said:
Townsville's keg was number 6. It won by a significant margin. Clearly the result of simple good brewing - no tricks!
I thought it was number 4? That was the beer I was describing, anyway.

tallie said:
Was definitely No. 4, on the cup, that won.

tallie said:
I voted for number 4. Gold Club was number 1, and I do know of someone that voted for this (I don't believe it was the diacetyl bomb).

Having attended the Spiegelau session, I think perhaps if the tasting was done in one of their tulip glasses, it may have been easier to come up with a winner (though of course this would not have been practical).

Brew Matt said:
I voted for number 4. Gold Club was number 1, and I do know of someone that voted for this (I don't believe it was the diacetyl bomb).

Having attended the Spiegelau session, I think perhaps if the tasting was done in one of their tulip glasses, it may have been easier to come up with a winner (though of course this would not have been practical).
The diacetyl one was No. 2

Apologies. Townsville was number 4. I have now thrown out the list and my memory is not as good as it was.

Unfortunately I missed this one. How did it compare to the previous conference? How were the presentations and who was the standout? And how was the beer? I see David's comments but like to hear unbiased reviews.

Latest posts

Back