The Queensland Homebrewing Conference (The QHC)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks said:
I would think the yeast wouldn't matter. You wouldn't want any simple sugars left, only dextrins so it's not sweet, just full body.
I think a high attenuating yeast is still likely to chop bits off the ends of those complex sugars, so I'd still favour a low attenuating yeast to be sure.

Suits me. Maybe then I can do a decent low-octane brew for my dear old uncle. He's had to resort to ginger beer, which means I've had to render one fermentor unusable for anything else... :unsure:

Paid for my dinner ticketast night and I can't wait .
Adz.

I have just finalised details with South Bank IT today. It looks like it will be pretty good on the food side of things. Lunch will be hot BBQ style food, rather than just sandwiches. Morning and Afternoon beers will have savoury snacks rather than sweet items (a request from last conference).

SBIT is happy for us to have a post-conference session to help clean up a few of the remaining beers. This will be from 5:00 - 5.45. After that, those who are having the dinner can remain for more beers and a great dinner. The menu has been finalised and it is:

[SIZE=medium]1 - Saison - Salmon gravlax, dill, crème fraische, capers
2 - Heffasaurus (A really big Hef) - Seared Scallops with chorizo crisps on fennel and orange
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 - Belgian Tripel and Pumpkin Ale- Turkey breast rolled with pear, craison and macadamia nut stuffing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4 - Chocolate Porter - Cherry cheesecake[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We need to confirm numbers for the dinner very early next week, so if you are thinking of going, please book your tickets over the weekend so you don't miss o[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]ut.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The Spiegelau Glass session has been more popular than I expected and there are only 3-4 tickets left. They will go this weekend, so book it as well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]More Freebies - Super What Not is throwing in a voucher (had some good beers there last night!), so that's at least 4 good beer venues that are throwing cash your way. Also looks like ALL INN Brewing, who are launching at Scratch on Sunday afternoon, have got their license in time to provide us with some beers as well. I think we will break the 576 Litres of beer we had last time. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]See you there![/SIZE]

David, when's the Spiegelau session held, or better, what other sessions would we miss by attending this?

The Spiegelau Glass session will be on at the same time as the talk on Parti-gyle brewing and brewing old English beers. It will probably also stretch into the next session by Ian Morgan from Holgate about using Hops in a commercial brewery. There are still 3 places left.

The Program is now on the www.theqhc.com.au website, as is the dinner menu.

hmm I don't think I want to miss Ian Morgan - but I do want to swill beer from swanky glasses.
Decisions decisions..................

Its great to see the interest in my session, sometimes I think lower Abv beers really get overlooked.

I will be sharing my views on the subject, my opinions and maybe a recipe or two.

I hope if you come to the session you get something out of it.
Cheers
Wade

Wade,
I went to a tasting at a brewery yesterday and they didn't even bother telling us about their low abv ale - let alone present it for tasting.
I was a little disappointed.

It is a bit forgotten, but as with most commercial craft beer interest will grow as more homebrewers experiment and try different things.

Nearly the last update - We have our last brewery sign on for the day. All Inn Brewing, the newest brewery in Brisbane (Launched their beers at Scratch on Sunday!) will be bringing two kegs. Unfortunately, because we have too much beer during the day, we will be serving them at a post-conference session, from 5.00pm. What a great way to end the day, supporting our newest brewery. Good luck guys!

On the Freebies front, our good friends at Cryermalt have donated 7 bags of grain to also go into the lucky door prize pool.

We have now confirmed final numbers for the venue for catering and room hire. Ticket limits have almost been reached and will likely close in the next day or so. If you haven't bought your ticket yet, DO NOT DELAY - there are very few left!!!!

Finally, don't forget to meet other brewers coming to the conference on Friday night, 7.00pm at Archive Boutique Beer Bar.

See you there.

David , Is there any way to catch up on the presentations that clash with the other ones ie I've paid for my ticket to the glass demo but also want to see the presentation on party gyle brewing. Can you help..

Pike, at the moment, there is no way to catch up on this. It seems we may not have video coverage this time. All of Dean's recipes will go up on the website either Friday or very soon after the conference so you can get them. Otherwise, put the hard word on Dean and he may well do a demo at the Brewers Choice Wacol store one Saturday.

Cue shameless plug for Ipswich Brewers Union now ;)

Are there going to be any conference special deals available on the day ?

We won't have much product on sale. I think there will be some sexy stainless steel brewing equipment available from Core, which we will take in. We will probably also have a version of our complete basic mash kit there for anyone that gets inspired during the day.

We will be taking orders for Conference Shirts this year and will have a few of the sampling glasses available for sale. Any other suggestions?

Still about 5 tickets for the conference available if you haven't bought any yet. See you at Archive tomorrow night.

Holy crap this is tomorrow, isn't it?

Was just making a list with things to do around the house in the morning, guess that doesn't happen know.

I better organise my annual train trip into the city.

EDIT: Just looked through all emails I got, but can't find a start time.

What time does this thing start???

OK, 8:15 Rego and coffee, 9am conference start it seems.

Latest posts

Back