The New Unique Australian Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATED
Grains:
Choc Chit - JW
Wheat Flaked - Blue Lake
Rice Flaked - Blue Lake
Caramalt - BB
Ale Malt - BB
Pils Galaxy -BB
Pils Pale Malt - BB
Wheat Malt - BB

There could be a couple more I'm sure?

Hops
Galaxy
POR
Cluster (Aust grown)
Summer Sazz (necer tried it)
Super Pride
Millennium
Nugget

Yeast
Coopers

I have had a thought I'm gunna brew say the 3 best recipes that comes from this little exercise split off 6 tallies to the recipes' owner and take the rest of 'em to the BABBS meeting for opinions.

Chappo

But, Chappo, don't forget it really should be BIAB and no-chill.

What's wrong with VB as an aussie beer?

I might as well be the one to ask the stupid question: what would make it a style?

Making a decent beer is one thing, making something that adds to the brewing nomeclature is something else.

Your right, my suggestion would be somewhere between a summer ale and a weizen, hardly that different.
Back to the drawing board.

But, Chappo, don't forget it really should be BIAB and no-chill.

Actually Bum for once your dead right! It MUST be BIAB and No Chill.

Hmmmmm? Bribie mate might have to come up to yours for a big brew day mate?

Cheers

Chappo

What's this "for once" bullsh1t?!

IT IS ON!

[edit: swearbear]

I posed this question in an other thread (sorry Pumpy for the wee hijack) but I am very interested in everyone's thought's on what we could come up with as craftbrewers as being uniquely Australian in style.

I just wonder with all the grains, yeasts and hops available to the Aussie brewer would it not be possible to pioneer a new uniquely Australian style of beer? I wonder if there is an opening between all the various styles to come up with something, well Dinki-Di Australian?

I guess it would have to be an easy drinker, something for the hotter months and would need to appeal to the greater masses as well. So what would be your suggestion for an unique Aussie icon beer?

I like the SMASH idea of James Craig's with a single BB pale malt and Galaxy but instead with a clean lager yeast like 34/70?

What's your suggestion?

Chappo

True but unlike a fair majority I really don't like the coopers yeast culture. I can hear the stampede on the keyboards now but quite simply I don't and it lends itself more toward a belgium than anything else IMHO. That being said I'm not aware of a lager or ale yeast strain that is uniquely Australian? Maybe a guru or three might correct me?

Cheers

Chappo

Chappo, on Sunday at the case swap I will ply you with two examples of a SMASH of BB Pale Pilsener and Superpride, rice and sugar. I made two identical recipe batches and fermented one with w 34/70 and the other with a uniquely Australian yeast, Mauri Lager 497, bottled on the same day. I was going to bring them both along to the BABBs June meeting but they are both now drinkable, so we can do a taste off. :icon_cheers:

Edit: for a truly Australian style it better frign RAIN so the rice can be Murray River rice :p

And the no chill cube has to sit on the top step of the swimming pool to chill down prior to pitiching.

Very Australian....

BOG

What's this "for once" bullsh1t?!

IT IS ON!

ROFL! Didn't think you pick that one up so quick? Whoops did it again didn't I? Nuthin worse than an angry bum.

Chappo, on Sunday at the case swap I will ply you with two examples of a SMASH of BB Pale Pilsener and Superpride, rice and sugar. I made two identical recipe batches and fermented one with w 34/70 and the other with a uniquely Australian yeast, Mauri Lager 497, bottled on the same day. I was going to bring them both along to the BABBs June meeting but they are both now drinkable, so we can do a taste off. :icon_cheers:

:icon_drool2: Taste off!

What about the BIAB Bribie any chance of using your gear?

are we suggesting that BIAB and no chill are uniquely aussie?

edit:

i didnt think so. but they might be. i'll admit i havent investigated. so i guess its a legit question someone can answer.

I wasn't around while all the hoohaa was happening but I thought Pistol Pete and Thirsty Boy really pioneered the whole thing?

Tall Poppy Syndrome!!!
my bum it is Bum. I just didnt think we (Aus) was the first to thihkn it up. if we did, then bloody marvellous! this thread is a bloody great idea. cant wait to see the end product.

Playing with the idea of

Galaxy 75%
Roasted Wheat 15% (home roast :icon_drool2: )
Caramalt 5%

Suguz or rice 5%? Thinking rice but I'm a rice addict. Aussie grown of course

Cluster
Nugget

Cooper yeast

I understand the premise behind this... but it's probably important to think about what a "style" is. The styles (BJCP, I'm referring to, but in general) are based off descriptions of well-known commercial beer styles. They were created for a couple of reasons.. to promote the rich heritage of beer, and to provide a baseline for brewing competitions. Without baselines, beer judging would be completely subjective and pointless.

On Australian styles... for competitions' sake there are already guidelines for the AABC that cover many Aussie beers.

As far as the BIAB/No-chill malarkey goes, style guidelines should be (in the words of the BJCP) descriptive, not proscriptive. They should describe characteristics of the final product, not prescribe exactly what ingredients should be used, and how it should be brewed.

*takes of his Negative Neddy hat*

I think what you want to get out of this is the question, do you want a style added to the state and nationals?
If so any ingredients you use are up to you, you could make it out of anything you like because its the final beers colour, flavour and aroma etc which needs to be addressed. How you brew it is up to you, if you can get that flavour as described in the style guidelines out of dirty dishwater then so be it.
Its all about the finished beer, I think we do need a 'new world' pale and pilsner class to fit more into what local and NZ microbreweries and home brewers are brewing.

Or are you looking more at how the mash paddle first started, ie the beer must be brewed with these ingredients but there isn't really a style profile, judging is based on technical merit, balance and drinkabilty etc.
Anyway my ideas would be more toward lobbying for the introduction of 'new world' pale etc styles into our competions.

So yeah whats the bigger picture of what you want to achieve?

As far as the BIAB/No-chill malarkey goes, style guidelines should be (in the words of the BJCP) descriptive, not proscriptive. They should describe characteristics of the final product, not prescribe exactly what ingredients should be used, and how it should be brewed.

Adam bet me too the punch, but yeah this is my line of thought.

Latest posts

Back