The NEIPA thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First attempt at an oat cream ipa today
Sounds good, keep us posted, you didn't include your hop schedule though? Hitting that perfect glowing colour can be tricky, if you get a chance post a pic when it hits the glass along with some tasting notes..

After discovering that my main rotating keg is nearly empty (whoops!) I've decided to do an impromptu brew tomorrow (Sunday).

Going to base it off of Gash's Jedi Juice clone recipe, a few changes to suit what I have onhand etc., should look something like this;

EDIT: Had to update this recipe as BF screwed up my post boil volume and hence all my weights/numbers, grrrrrrr! This is how it *should* have looked but I ended up having to alter my post boil volume and add 290g of sugar to get the OG up to scratch to hit 6%.. I was not happy, was feeling like it wasn't quite enough grain to begin with, anyway, here is the proper recipe..

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Specialty IPA: New England IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 28 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 33.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.058
Efficiency: 73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 6%
IBU (tinseth): 40.42
SRM (morey): 6.3
Mash pH: 5.35

FERMENTABLES:
4.29 kg - Simpson - Maris Otter (58.6%)
2.5 kg - Wheat Malt (34.2%)
300 g - Rolled Oats (4.1%)
230 g - CaraMunich II (3.1%)

HOPS:
50 g - Ahtanum, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 20.71
50 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.8, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 80 °C, IBU: 6.62
50 g - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.3, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 80 °C, IBU: 6.88
50 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 80 °C, IBU: 6.21
50 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.8, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
50 g - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.3, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
50 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
30 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.8, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
30 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
30 g - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.3, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
30 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 36 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
7.5 g - Calcium Chloride (dihydrate), Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
4 g - Epsom Salt, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
6 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1 tsp - Wyeast - Beer Nutrient, Time: 10 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
1 each - Campden Tablet, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Kegging

YEAST:
White Labs - London Fog Ale Yeast WLP066

Last edited:
^ ^ 1021 Final Gravity is really high, what was the mash temp that you were using?

1021 Final Gravity is really high, what was the mash temp that you were using?
Well two things, the recipe above isn't exactly what I've got in the fermenter (it's what was supposed to be in there before BF changed a key number on me automatically and I didn't notice)! Hmmmm, maybe I should change that and post what I actually did instead of what I was intending to do..

Anyway, I was going to mash at 67 but it ended up being 65-66, so the FG on the actual brew should be 1.019 (still high but I think it might come out a point or two lower than that possibly). WLP066 isn't a great attenuator either but I did want some residual sugars in there to balance the large hop additions, another reason I chose it in addition to it's low flocculation. It is fermenting like a beast at the moment though so it will be interesting to see where it ends up..

I believe the attenuation specs on the White labs website are wrong for WLP066, it will probably be over 80% at that mash temp

Question for the NEIPA guru's, brewed one yesterday that I've done before.. simple grain bill for 23L:

6 Kg Ale malt
700g Flaked oats
600g Wheat

Mashed at 67c for 90, 90 minute boil.

Brew day stuff up incoming:

I rushed this one after work and as a result I didn't measure mash pH, didn't measure pre or post boil gravities, ended up with a super slow run-off, overshot volume by 3L (it was 0130 so I didn't want to boil any longer) pitched an active starter and went to bed. In the morning I checked the gravity of the little bit of wort left in the kettle and I have ended up with 1.040 OG instead of my expected ~1.064 OG.
Emptied the malt pipe into a garbage bag and noticed a lot of intact grain, went and checked my mashmaster mill and sure enough one side of a roller had slipped and was wider than the other side, and in turn not crushing all the grain correctly.

My thoughts are to add 1.8 Kg dry malt extract when I add my day 3 hop charge, would you just go straight LDME or a mix- say 1Kg LDME, 800g Dry wheat malt extract?

Last thing I want is a thin, hop juicy water abomination.

Or I could re-brew using the same grain bill with a slightly smaller volume and higher gravity- blending the two?

What would you do?

^ ^ Ok so you didnt measure pH, or pre or post gravitys and rushed a beer into the FV, so you really your outcome will be an abomination....

Now to try and be helpful, Id be leaving it alone at 1040, it will be very low ABV but you have alot on its side.

1 - mouthfeel from oats and wheat
2 - higher mash temp so higher FG and body to the beer.

Its likely you have very low IBU being a NEIPA so its going to be a juicey beer without ABV which isnt the end of the world. Write it down to brewing experience, it may be great beer.

I believe the attenuation specs on the White labs website are wrong for WLP066, it will probably be over 80% at that mash temp
You appear to be correct, my FG was supposed to be 1.019, it's sitting at 1.014 (but mash temp on brew day actually fluctuated a little between 65-67 degrees)..

I had just over 80% at 68c last time I used it. Actually it looks like they have updated their website now to show 75-82%, most resellers are still showing the old data of 65-70%

Actually it looks like they have updated their website now to show 75-82%, most resellers are still showing the old data of 65-70%
I adjusted the custom attenuation to 75% in BrewersFriend and that seems to align with my FG, now I've got a 6.75% beer instead of 6%.. live and you learn!

Just kegged this on Wednesday View media item 10945
70% american ale, 12% pale wheat malt, 6% carafoam, 4% toffee, 4% flaked wheat, 4% dextrose (10mins)
10 IBU Columbus FWH, 15 IBU Columbus 10min, 15 IBU Columbus hopstand starting at 74C for 20 min
OG was 1.066, 1.5L starter of WLP067, soft crashed at 1.015, harvested yeast, then
1st DH at Day 6 with 20g Columbus, 30g Citra, 50g Mosaic
2nd DH at Day 8 with 20g Columbus, 30g Mosaic, 60g Citra
Cold crashed day 9 for 2 days

No 2nd day hops, still super hazy

Last edited:
Just kegged this on Wednesday View media item 10945
70% american ale, 12% pale wheat malt, 6% carafoam, 4% toffee, 4% flaked wheat, 4% dextrose (10mins)
10 IBU Columbus FWH, 15 IBU Columbus 10min, 15 IBU Columbus hopstand starting at 74C for 20 min
OG was 1.066, 1.5L starter of WLP067, soft crashed at 1.015, harvested yeast, then
1st DH at Day 6 with 20g Columbus, 30g Citra, 50g Mosaic
2nd DH at Day 8 with 20g Columbus, 30g Mosaic, 60g Citra
Cold crashed day 9 for 2 days

No 2nd day hops, still super hazy

Hey why no dry hop during high krausen ferment for biotransformation process of hops which is one of the methods for this style?

Also, water , what did you do with it?

Heads up any other SA brewers. Just saw that ibrewSA have some of the elusive honey malt in stock.

Thanks for the heads up. They have a good price on some pils malt too, and they home deliver for free around Adelaide and the S.E. Freeway up to Mt. Barker, which is awesome.

Thanks for the heads up. They have a good price on some pils malt too, and they home deliver for free around Adelaide and the S.E. Freeway up to Mt. Barker, which is awesome.

I've been using Beerbelly since Brew Adelaide slowed down operations, definitely keen to give ibrew a go for my grains next as they look pretty well priced.

Haven't been able to brew for the last month or so, but planning to do an ESB or similar next with the main goal to harvest some Conan or similar for future NEIPA batches.

Hey guys, so my NEIPA has turned out really bitter (drinkable but still confronting) which is disappointing. It's got good colour and body although it's not as pillow-y as I was hoping for and it's also not as fruity/tropical as I wanted. It had Azacca, Mosaic and Idaho 7 in equal amounts (around 7g/L @ WP and DH1, 4g/L @ DH2) with a touch of Galaxy as well at half the amounts. I'm thinking about brewing a second batch with the same malt bill but not adding any bittering hops and just want to focus on getting fruitiness in there - then blending them. To get an idea of what that might turn out like I thought I'd buy like maybe a S&W Pacific Ale and blend that in a glass to to see what it does.. not sure, I really don't want to waste this brew but I need it to be better so I'm not drinking it all myself and can happily share it with others.

Hey guys, so my NEIPA has turned out really bitter (drinkable but still confronting) which is disappointing. It's got good colour and body although it's not as pillow-y as I was hoping for and it's also not as fruity/tropical as I wanted. It had Azacca, Mosaic and Idaho 7 in equal amounts (around 7g/L @ WP and DH1, 4g/L @ DH2) with a touch of Galaxy as well at half the amounts. I'm thinking about brewing a second batch with the same malt bill but not adding any bittering hops and just want to focus on getting fruitiness in there - then blending them. To get an idea of what that might turn out like I thought I'd buy like maybe a S&W Pacific Ale and blend that in a glass to to see what it does.. not sure, I really don't want to waste this brew but I need it to be better so I'm not drinking it all myself and can happily share it with others.

You could always throw a little CaCl in a glass with it (and then in the keg if it works for you) to help with the mouthfeel. I haven't done it myself, but have heard of people doing it.

I would personally either halve or get rid of the FWH altogether and move the IBUs to a late/whirlpool addition. I aim for 8-10g/L of hops throughout the whole process (combo of flameout, cube hops and dry hop) when I make my NE pale ales (and could certainly go higher if I really wanted a punchy hop character), so for 6%+ I'd be pushing up towards 15-20g/L

Back