The need to just let things sit.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewermp

Reaction score
Hi fellow Brewers.. I've been brewing for about 3 months now and I think I've found that "mantra" (not sure if that's the right word) where I don't feel compelled to check up on my beer every 2 minutes. Is this normal. Am I too complacent? What are people's frequency of visits to check up on fermentation?

I check every few days at the start, then let it do its own thing for a week or 2

brewing needs patience, poking at it won't help, let it be man

I check it the day after pitching then once a week after that. Then again on the two week mark and the day after that to make sure gravity reading is the same.

I'm a very patient person so brewing is great for me :)

I pitch my yeast, then check it one day later for activity, then at 1 week(while dry hopping) then at 2 weeks ( cold crashing) then at 3 weeks (bottling). I believe I have my technique down enough to let the brew do its thing. it makes brewing more relaxing.

Meh. Nowadays I only head to the shed at the start of fermentation and at the end. Seems a bit of a wank to run down there every ten minutes like it's a newborn child.
And anyway, the CCTV footage plus Brewpi datalogging will alert me via the web server of anything more than a .25 degree Celsius variation in the predicted fermentation pattern versus ambient temp divided by Pi.
RDWHAHB.

Camo6 said:
Meh. Nowadays I only head to the shed at the start of fermentation and at the end. Seems a bit of a wank to run down there every ten minutes like it's a newborn child.
And anyway, the CCTV footage plus Brewpi datalogging will alert me via the web server of anything more than a .25 degree Celsius variation in the predicted fermentation pattern versus ambient temp divided by Pi.
RDWHAHB.
Getting my brewpi bits from santa, going to see if I can run two over bluetooth to the Pi and have Raspberry pints on the keggerator in the dinning room. I'm mounting a 32" TV to the freezer door above the taps. I'll post something when I get started on it.

Must be my bleeding heart, paternal instinct, I check twice per day.

MastersBrewery said:
Getting my brewpi bits from santa, going to see if I can run two over bluetooth to the Pi and have Raspberry pints on the keggerator in the dinning room. I'm mounting a 32" TV to the freezer door above the taps. I'll post something when I get started on it.
I, was only kidding...you, my friend, have a problem. Love it MB, full details when it gets under way, please.

To the op, I still like to taste a couple of times along the way and I love the whiff you get when you open the fridge door.

MastersBrewery said:
Please do, I'm planning on doing both as well. Would like to hook up flow measures on kegs to track what's left. When does it stop...

I am the same check 1-2 days after pitching then another week or so unless I need it in a keg and want it done lol then I check it like hurry up!! :chug:

I have 40l fermenting and some bottles aging. No beer to drink atm so a little impatient lol. But that's what I love about fermentation. Just set and forget for the most part of it.

Moad said:
When does it stop...
oh in this case it will be when I get one of these to do this. Pity that kick starter failed, now I at some point have to learn to program in python. But having done all that I'll be able to see exact temp and SG to.001. So to answer the op's question, with Brewpi installed for the first month I'll be checking every time I pick up my phone or sit at the pc or sit on the toilet......

I must have a busy life, I need to set reminders on my smartphone so I don't forget to check during fermentation...

Beer I've brewed before - don't care, bottle when I feel like it.

Beer i never brewed before - taste every morning, spray the hell out of the tap with Starsan and and wonder if they can pick up my half nip taster with drug and alcohol testing at work.

MastersBrewery said:
oh in this case it will be when I get one of these to do this. Pity that kick starter failed, now I at some point have to learn to program in python. But having done all that I'll be able to see exact temp and SG to.001. So to answer the op's question, with Brewpi installed for the first month I'll be checking every time I pick up my phone or sit at the pc or sit on the toilet......
Hey man pm me with your Python issue. I learnt it this year for work so may be able to help.

For me it depends.

If it's a yeast I haven't used before, or am still learning, I'll check at least once a day until I hit FG. That includes smelling, tasting, and measuring the SG. If it's a yeast I know well I'll check that it took off OK and then leave it until it should be done, and then check over a few days to make sure it's ready to package.

Here's an example of the data I collect when I'm learning a new strain:

Data.jpg

Latest posts

Back