The Laksa Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
We have been to a few restaurants and tried a few Laka's...and to be honest, heave both been dissapointed..

My recipe

1 tin light Coconut Cream
1 tin diced tomatoes
large onion
red/green curry paste
chilli
white fish, cubed ( tuna or salmon is un suitable )
fresh beans
carrot ( sliced into thin fingers )
soft noodles ( prep them first in a bowl of boiling water so they are nice and loose )

Method

The secret is to heat and fry the curry paste,onion and chilli in oil in a hot wok and let the flavours burn in
Once the onions have gone soft, add the coconut milk, tomatoe, beens and carrots
Simmer for a few minutes
The add the fish peices, followed by the noodles.
Simmer until the fish is soft and flaked

Dont simmer for to long as you want the carrots and beens to still have a slight crunch..

Serve

It is simple to make and taste fantastic, especially the next day, re-heated for lunch

I use Ding's laksa paste (from your local chinese grocers). Fry it off in some oil. Add a tin of coconut cream and either chicken or fish stock depending on whether you are making chicken or seafood laksa. Add diced chicken (if chicken) or fish/seafood (if seafood). When that is cooked add thin glass noodles noodles and cook till they are soft (about 2 mins). Finish with bean sprouts and whatever else takes your fancy.

Cheers
Dave

Half a boiled and some tofu puffs are essential! yum LAKSA

Half a boiled and some tofu puffs are essential! yum LAKSA

Fried tofu = :icon_drool2:

Anyone that doesn't like tofu will wet themselves when they have fried tofu in laksa broth.

Anyone that doesn't like tofu will wet themselves when they have fried tofu in laksa broth.

What i was meant to say was half a boiled EGG....

So true FourStar... Tofu Pok, any curry its great in soaks in the flavour. And the fried stuff gives a different texture Im thinking tofu haters may just like!

I also like to sprinkle scrimp chilli flakes over the top! My favourite ready made paste is Por Kwan... most asian stores would have it! Its great as a curry paste as well.

I also find a good tom yum paste can work if you need it to!

When you say soft noodles, do you mean rice noodles?

[quote name='Katie' post='528110' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:32 PM']What i was meant to say was half a boiled EGG....
So true FourStar... Tofu Pok, any curry its great in soaks in the flavour. And the fried stuff gives a different texture Im thinking tofu haters may just like!
I also like to sprinkle scrimp chilli flakes over the top! My favourite ready made paste is Por Kwan... most asian stores would have it! Its great as a curry paste as well.
I also find a good tom yum paste can work if you need it to![/quote]

mmm dried shrimp..... :icon_drool2: Damnit i want to get back to Asia! Ive got that many food photos im scared to post in the 'whats on the plate' thread! Will take up pages and pages!

[quote name='O'Henry' post='528183' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:40 AM']When you say soft noodles, do you mean rice noodles?[/quote]
Yeah, probabaly fresh ones are best over dried. Depending on origin of Laksa (its a mashup cuisine of Nonyan, Malay, Chinese etc etc. Think food form Singapore), it can have noodles such as Hokkien and Vermicelli which is usually found around these parts. Or traditional thin spaghetti type rice noodles. Best option for something as close to the Malay laksas would be fresh Udon or Viet Pho Noodles and a handful of vermicelli. B)

mmm dried shrimp..... :icon_drool2: Damnit i want to get back to Asia! Ive got that many food photos im scared to post in the 'whats on the plate' thread! Will take up pages and pages!

Post them up...

No. No we won't. Fried tofu is still tofu. Tofu in laksa is still tofu. Tofu is a crime against humanity.

No. No we won't. Fried tofu is still tofu. Tofu in laksa is still tofu. Tofu is a crime against humanity.

Naysayer.... :p

Tofu = Protein Paradise! Soy milk on the other hand is a crime against humainty. I have turned many tofu haters with a good piece of fried/puffed tofu. Its like comparing mashed potato to potato crisps. Same same but different!

Naysayer.... :p

Tofu = Protein Paradise! Soy milk on the other hand is a crime against humainty. I have turned many tofu haters with a good piece of fried/puffed tofu. Its like comparing mashed potato to potato crisps. Same same but different!

Yeah I love tofu but not the milk.

mmmmm I feel a laksa coming on!

Yeah I love tofu but not the milk.

mmmmm I feel a laksa coming on!

I think you're right. I might whip up a lovely (and tofu free) laksa tonight...

Mmmmmm... seafood laksa. *burp*.

Photos when I pull my finger out and grab them off the camera.

Half a boiled egg and some tofu puffs are essential! yum LAKSA
ok im going to regret asking but what are tofu puffs Kt and why do they belong in a laksa.

great thread. might be able to get the missus to whip one up since they are such easy recipes.

ok im going to regret asking but what are tofu puffs Kt and why do they belong in a laksa.
great thread. might be able to get the missus to whip one up since they are such easy recipes.

The usual types of tofu going around are silken tofu and 'firm tofu'. AFAIK, silken tofu when deep fried gets a crispy coating and stays custard like on the inside, firm tofu literally puffs up with a doughy/chewy texture. You can buy these in asian grocers in little baggies, You simply cut them up into 1/2s or 1/4s and pop them into your laksa, as they are 'airy' they soak up some of the broth so they carry all of the laksa flavours with it.

They are perfect for soups and thin sauced stirfrys.

Tofu puffs are deep fried tofu, changes the texture of tofu. Acts as a sponge. they work well in curries but they actually traditionally belong in a laksa!

I didnt make this laska but heres a picture

laksatofu.jpeg

lakasas.jpeg

Tofu puffs are deep fried tofu, changes the texture of tofu. Acts as a sponge. they work well in curries but they actually traditionally belong in a laksa!
I didnt make this laska but heres a picture

Guess who's contemplating leaving his leftover 'Assam (Tamarind) Chicken curry and rice' behind for lunch in favour of some serious laksa?!?! :icon_drool2:

Guess who's contemplating leaving his leftover 'Assam (Tamarind) Chicken curry and rice' behind for lunch in favour of some serious laksa?!?! :icon_drool2:

You enjoy, very envious. Steamed vegies for me! But wouldnt mind the Asam chicken also!

I could imagine in Melbourne you could get a great laksa! You could in Sydney (Happy Noodle Chef in Dixton Street, Vegetarian Laksa $6.99, pre 2000). Perth there hard to find! There generally the yellow curry ones! I like them RED! with the thin (laksa ) noodle. Not hokkien! And HOT.

You enjoy, very envious. Steamed vegies for me! But wouldnt mind the Asam chicken also!

I could imagine in Melbourne you could get a great laksa! You could in Sydney (Happy Noodle Chef in Dixton Street, Vegetarian Laksa $6.99, pre 2000). Perth there hard to find! There generally the yellow curry ones! I like them RED! with the thin (laksa ) noodle. Not hokkien! And HOT.

Try the oldest chinatown in Australia and the longest in the world ;) Wikipedia told me so! :ph34r: :lol:

Chinatown has plenty of options, ive been here before... very very good laksa. http://www.laksame.com/index.htm

Decisions Decisions.

My Mum's Laksa
Originated from Ipoh, Malaysia. Another version of curries Laksa. The main different is, instead of the common Rice Vermicelli it use thin fresh "Hor Fun" (Pho Noodles) 9.0
- Fresh Thin Hor-Fun top with Char-Siu pork, shredded chicken and prawns meat in a fragrant Laksa broth .

Laksa Lemak
Fine rice vermicelli top with fish cake, fish dumplings, hard-boiled egg, fried tofu puff, prawns meat, and shredded cucumber in a fragrant mouth watering creamy Laksa stock. 10.0

Back