Authentic British Indian Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
As most curry aficionados are aware, favourites such as Butter Chicken, Lamb Madras, Chicken Tikka Masala were actually invented in Birmingham or Glasgow. Curry became the national dish of the UK as a result of mostly Bangladeshi (not Indian) immigrants who set up restaurants, initially in working class areas where sit down restaurants were either very posh or incredibly basic (fish and chips) so they filled a void in the market at a time when the workers were getting some real disposable income. Here in Australia, because many of these migrants, and their families, have re-migrated here via their UK citizenship and set up restaurants, the fare is very much the same as in the UK - Chicken Tikka, Lamb Biryani, Goat Vindaloo............... you know the score. However it only bears passing resemblance to what is actually eaten in India. Their bad luck in India.

The core of the "system" is a basic sauce that is prepared in bulk and can be added to the base ingredients (goat, chicken, eggplant) etc, which enables them to cook up your menu choice in around 15 minutes while you sit impatiently in the waiting area at the takeaway, or get drunk on Kingfisher at your table.

You can't really get that authentic Pom Oz curry experience without the basic sauce. There are a number of quite authentic sources (pun?) on the web:

Here's my version:

sauceLarge.jpg

• Onions (red preferably, here I've had a fridge cleanout so a bit of an assortment)
  • Garlic at least 4 cloves
  • Ginger (stick, washed but unpeeled, or heaped teaspoon out of a jar as in this case)
  • Oil - a good oil like Peanut or Rice Bran
  • Tinned tomatoes
  • Paprika heaped dessertspoon
  • Turmeric heaped dessertspoon

Don't' worry about the "higher" spices like Cumin etc, they come later.

Chop medium fine and saute slowly in a chef's spoon of oil until soft
Add a good spoon of turmeric and paprika, and a pinch of hing if you like (asafoetida)

Stir then add the tomatoes and half a cup of water.
Cover and simmer slowly for about an hour.
sauce2Large.jpg

sauce3Large.jpg

sauce4Large.jpg

Stick blend until silky smooth.

This is your base sauce.

Now let's attack some dead sheep and do a sort of Lamb Madrassy Vindalooish thing. Start all over again. In an Indian Restaurant the lamb would have been precooked in its own sauce ready to just throw in the appropriate spices and reheat for about 15 mins in the base sauce, here we can be a bit more leisurely.

curryLarge.jpg

• Kilo Lamb chops cut into curry 'joints'
  • one onion, 4 garlic, ginger again
  • oil
  • Coriander 2 heaped tsp
  • Cumin 2 heaped tsp
  • Chilli powder well heaped tsp or fresh chopped
  • Cardamom heaped tsp
  • Brown Sugar round dessertspoon and salt to taste.
  • Fennel Seeds 2 heaped tsp
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • some tamarind paste if desired
  • a half handful of methi leaves (fenugreek) if desired
  • a bit of what you fancy, garam masala, cardmom pods whatever

In large heavy based covered frying pan, fry lamb chops till browned, remove to plate
wash out pan and fry garlic ginger onion until soft in a chefs spoon of oil
Add spices (enhancement: use the whole spices, grind in mortar and toast in pan first)
Add lamb pieces and turn in the spices until covered.

Start adding the base sauce a chef's spoon at a time, turning as you go. This might start to spit
Add half a cup of water, lid the pan and cook on very low for around 90 mins, check occasionally, maybe adding water sparingly if it starts to stick.

curry2Large.jpg

When cooked, stir through half a tin of coconut cream then rest for ten minutes.

Garnish with chopped Coriander leaves if desired and serve with Basmati rice and a Raita.

For more of a vindaloo style add some rice wine vinegar half way through the simmer.

Smelling great already, I'll post later when it's served :icon_drool2:

Kingfisher heavy - I had a couple of Tallies when I was in Wellington last year at an Indian and it's very nice indeed (around 6.5% ABV) woot. Kingfisher in Australia is now BUL by that stupid secretive mob that do Haaaaagen so I don't bother here.

Fantastic. I love me some curry, and love cooking them... there's not much literature around on "western restaurant" style curries though, so I have usually ended up using recipes that are more towards the "authentic" end of the scale - the 2 part sauce-base-first procedure looks great, and would really help push it more towards the "restaurant" end. I will definitely give this a bash.... thinking a couple of litres of that sauce would freeze up in chinese containers perfectly.

In large heavy based covered frying pan, fry lamb chops till browned, remove to plate
wash out pan and fry garlic ginger onion until soft in a chefs spoon of oil

That's the only bit i'm concerned about - why waste all that brown charry flavour goodness down the sink? The first hit of the liquid will lift it right off the bottom and it'll dissolve back into the sauce.

Also, along with the vinegar you mentioned, vodka works wonders to give a vindaloo some extra oomph :D

forget the oils and making with the ghee for authentics type

Good to see more people getting into the curries!

I've been making them for about a year now, thankfully I have an Indian grocery shop nearby so I can buy most of the spices in bulk (and get things like fenugreek, which seems to be impossible to find anywhere else)

So far my specialty is butter chicken and lamb madras... I've been trying vindaloo's but cant get the taste right, and no one recipe is the same

Since my trip to london earlier this year, no curry has come close to some that I had over there... Which is quite depressing, our restaurants dont compare here. The vindaloo's that aussie indian restaurants put out have only a touch of spice in comparison.

Thanks bkmad, just ordered the book from the Book Depository, less than $10 - incredible.

I've made ghee in the past, it's dead easy but a bit messy to strain the clarified butter off the brown bits. Can't beat it in Indian cooking but as Yasmani says it's very authentic - probably too authentic for British Indian cooking :lol:

Kingfisher heavy - I had a couple of Tallies when I was in Wellington last year at an Indian and it's very nice indeed (around 6.5% ABV) woot. Kingfisher in Australia is now BUL by that stupid secretive mob that do Haaaaagen so I don't bother here.

Yeah, I got burned twice by that local Kingfisher at two different Indiant restaurants around these parts. Order one, take a sip, grimace, then read the label.

2 things:

paprika!!!! wtfing ****!!! %65^$%&%^&*# Get some red chilli powder pussy!!! Well, don't put heaped teaspoons full of it in though :p

Oil.......... Rice bran!!! u gotta be effin kidding me!!! If you want authentic Indian, get some Mustard Oil. That is gotta be used in moderation though.. its got a strong flavour and it smokes strongly. Or for modern wussy Indian, sunflower oil or whatever wussy vege oil. I'm quite a wuss.. Olive oil, Mustard oil is reserved for where THAT flavour is important, not burnt off.

Also, You add the tomatoes/paste last to the 'sauce' and drop a bit of salt in when you do to help it cook and lose its sourness. No need to use a blender in pot if you chopped the onions etc fine enough, although, I prefer mine coarsely chopped.

I'd say Indian in UK (In a good upmarket restaurant, my only UK-Indian food experience) was much like good food back in India - North India. IF you go decent North Indian restaurants in Melbourne, they are pretty much spot on with their food - Jaipur Curry house, Clyton; Shehnai, Preston (really love Shehnai), There is another excellent place in Doncaster that I forget the name of. Can't say the same about fuckwit takeaways and Cairns food.... I've worked for 2.5 hotels/restaurants, including an Indian place in melb... I sort of know what they're doing...

Ditch the "curry powder", its the most un-authentic ingrediant out there. Add spices by taste if you can figure them out. Garam Masala is to be used in extreme moderation, and then.. where the other tastes aren't important or the dish soaks spices like a sponge - like chicken. Nobody in India will call the dish curry (unless its made from a few days old yoghurt and has a sort of pakora going into the gravy).

In Summary:

Chilli powder - Not Papruika

Mustard Oil/Ghee - Not vege oils of variety

Choose your spices - stay away from "curry powder"

You'd be surprised how different it is.

Nut's to option b.
Might as well by my beer from liquorland while I'm at it.

I dont agree with the liquorland comparison :p

Clarified butter is clarified butter - there's not a lot that you can do to **** it up. It's shelf stable once you remove all the milk solids, so they put it in a dinky little plastic container, and sell it in the indian section of woolies. I don't buy much else from that section, but ghee in a tub is handy.

Do you make your own peanut oil? :p

I'm not even sure you can make good ghee with the processed butters in the market! I might be wrong there though, haven't bothered trying. Making it is simple enough though. Heat until it's lost all the water content and the slight leftover milk solids have precipitated or frothed out.

Many thanks for the recipe Bribie.It was a cracker :icon_drool2:

Paprika is added for a rounded background flavour in the base sauce. This is so that the base sauce can be used in a multitude of different curries. A Korma, for instance, wouldn't have any chilli in it. Chill goes into the main dish that you're making.

I agree with you on the curry powder, stick to the individual spices. Ground coriander is a good base spice, a couple of teaspoons helps to bring out the flavour, then cumin and turmeric, a teaspon of each at the start of the cook. But Garam Masala tends to be a finishing spice which is added towards the end of the cook to enhance the flavours of the rest of the dish, a teaspoon, or two depending on tastes, will help a lot.

Bribies recipe is pretty much spot on what I do. Though I tend to make a batch of about 10 litres of the sauce and freeze it in ziplock bags.

I've found that the best Indian (read Bangladeshi) food in the UK is from the low-end take-aways or curry-houses. The places where plastic tablecloths and formica tabletops are still very much in use :)

I'm bumping this thread for anyone in Brisbane who may be interested. In April there's a couple of curry training days being run by an Indian Restaurant at Coorparoo - on Sundays - cost around $50, and you get to eat the items you have cooked.

I haven't made a booking yet as I need to sort out my work roster, but I reckon it's going to be gold - being able to knock out an authentic restaurant curry - almost as exciting as moving up to AG brewing :)

For those interested the guy's called JJ and he has this site.

Guy on my curry forum put me onto it, he works part time at the restaurant making their gravies for them and he says it's one of the best kitchens in Bris.

Back