The Laksa Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laksa lemak for me...

Yum..... I do a great Rojak never seen that on a menu before in Australia anyhow!

oh yeah laksame is less than a block from me and less than 100m from Mrs Parmas!

Cheers 4*. will have to go check it out. Laksa Lemak sounds the go. im starving now

oh yeah laksame is less than a block from me and less than 100m from Mrs Parmas!

Cheers 4*. will have to go check it out. Laksa Lemak sounds the go. im starving now

go away both of you.. :icon_cheers:

If only i worked at the Exhibition St office, being down at Melbourne Central the dreaded hike is looking annoying!

Last night's laksa. With octopus, prawn, green beans and pak choi. I know the octopus isn't traditional but I had it there and why not. Thin hokkien noodles as that was all I had. I usually use a thin rice noodle but I'd run out. Rather yummy though.

IMG_1133_1.JPG

That looks YUM

Good thing about Laksa is that most things will work in it

Beef Laksa aint to bad either...

But I find the secret is to add the vegies last to keep them nice and crisp....

Always a jar of home-made laksa paste in my fridge, next to the jars of home-made thai curry pastes (red, green, yellow, jungle, massaman etc).

I love prawns and squid in mine as well as choy of some sort and 2 types of noodles (thick egg noodles and thin rice noodles).

Loads of fresh coriander and basil when making the 'gravy' and a squeeze of lime juice at serving.

Always a jar of home-made laksa paste in my fridge, next to the jars of home-made thai curry pastes (red, green, yellow, jungle, massaman etc).

I love prawns and squid in mine as well as choy of some sort and 2 types of noodles (thick egg noodles and thin rice noodles).

Loads of fresh coriander and basil when making the 'gravy' and a squeeze of lime juice at serving.

Are your laksas RED?

I love putting half a boiled egg in mine!

Are your laksas RED?

I love putting half a boiled egg in mine!

The paste is a dark brown colour, i could describe it but in case people are eating i wont. I love the smell, most people screw up their face but still lick their bowls clean! Brown colour is from the tamarind.

the laksa itself is red in colour.

Next time i make some i will take a happy snap.

OT - i had red vegie curry last night.

I love tamarind... love love love it!

I love the red laskas. Never made a paste for it!

I had a prawn and noodle stir fry!

I have the jars of red and green curry pastes but for some reason never did my own laksa paste. You've inspired me...

The next laksa I do will be using home made paste.

Cheers
Dave

I found a great recipe last night for laska lemak.... will be doing one soon!

Dr do you use candle nuts?

Look what i had for lunch! (Sorry for crappy mobile photo) :icon_drool2:

Went to a little Malaysian cafe in a arcade today with guys from work. BBQ Pork, Chicken, Fish cake, Puffed Todu, Vermecilli, Hokkien, Bean Shoots, Fried Shallots, Spring onions all together in a killer RED broth!

Awesome!

01_10_09_1225.jpg

that's it! i cant stand it anymore! im going to laksame tomorrow and having laksa lemek or similar.

I found a great recipe last night for laska lemak.... will be doing one soon!

Dr do you use candle nuts?

No nuts in my paste but i have seen that in recipes before and will give that a go in the future.

Its different every time i make it as are the curry pastes as i dont measure anything.

No nuts in my paste but i have seen that in recipes before and will give that a go in the future.

Its different every time i make it as are the curry pastes as i dont measure anything.

Dont eat the candle nuts raw! Like I did!

Just in case anyone wanted it.

Laksa paste recipe
3 shallots
3 cloves of garlic
4 red chillies
3 stalks lemongrass
5cm ginger
1tsp shrimp paste
1/4 cup coriander, leaves and roots
1tsp ground tumeric
1tsp palm sugar
1/4 cup tamarind concentrate/paste - black, oily stuff.
peanut oil

I use a mortar and pestle to pound the everything but the tamarind and oil to a paste and then add the rest and stir.

Normally add a few heaped desert spoons when i make the soup which is just paste, 1/2L light chicken stock, 1 can coconut milk, 1/2 cup each of finely chopped basil and coriander and simmer this whilst getting the noodles ready and doing a quick fry of whatever meat/veg i plan on adding.

Tofu puffs have an interesting texture. Quite chewy but suprisingly nice. How do I know?... Having laksa lemak right now for lunch at laksame! Yum yum yum. Will post. Piccy later.
Edit now should I go have a nice refreshing ale at mrs parmas?!

Latest posts

Back