The Greatest Beer Of All Time!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe the LCPA of 3 or 4 years ago...

its gone downhill IMO...

I had a stubbie a few months ago and thought "I could have sworn it was hoppier." That said, my lupulin threshold has shifted somewhat in recent years! :p

For a while I've considered to Guinness to be somewhat overhyped- thin, one dimensional in flavour and relying on the nitrogen to give it body and texture.

Good work P&C. It's brave to be able to confess the crazy thoughts that can occupy a mind. With that kind of attitude you should be able to find the help you need.

:icon_cheers:

Best Beer in the World? I havent found it, when I have thought I found it............. months later I find it again.
For my palate, Saison Dupont does it eveytime. I dont think there is a BEST beer unless you can control all the procedure i.e mash, fermentation, storage transport etc etc. Thats why the best in the world will most likely come from your own backyard.

Last LCPA I had tasted "rusty". A kinda metallic bitterness.

EDIT: I prefer it on tap.

Best Beer in the World? I havent found it, when I have thought I found it............. months later I find it again.
For my palate, Saison Dupont does it eveytime. I dont think there is a BEST beer unless you can control all the procedure i.e mash, fermentation, storage transport etc etc. Thats why the best in the world will most likely come from your own backyard.

Just picked up a bottle from G&G Haysie and also a stubbie of Temple Saison. If it's as good as you say I will order some yeast.

I'm with you there haysie, although I reckon I've got a Saison in primary ATM that will give Dupont a run for it's money :ph34r: :p

Hi Razz, Temple is nothing on a true Saison, I have tried it on many occasions and tasted no profound Belgian/Farmhouse character, two worlds apart and so is the beer.
Hutch, I beat you to it, I`m drinking mine :icon_drool2: its a 58>08 Wyeast Belgian Saison, fwiw this yeast loves it hot hot hot upto> 32deg. My ferments are mostly around the 25 mark then 14 days + step it up. Depends on your yeast strain, 3255 is great over and done with 10 days, Saison yeast will work slowly at high temps for weeks, the one i am drinking now, Whitelabs?Cal Ale was added a small dose at 18 days too finish it off.
Great results so far.

Without editing, waffling outside the topic. Thems the breaks and Cheers.

Dark Ale?? Try Special Bitter.

It's pretty special but it's described as dark English Ale on the label.
I've only had the bottled version (and not many of those - the ones I had just stuck with me) so I can't comment on what it may be anywhere else.

Except I wasn't massively serious. We could spend the next six months discussing which bit of Lancashire the horse that drove the dray to the brewery in 1817 used to graze in but I thought we could talk about something else.

Have a go at someone else sweetcheeks.

We could spend the next six months discussing which bit of Lancashire the horse that drove the dray to the brewery in 1817 used to graze in but I thought we could talk about something else.
Did I hear the word "1187" ? :icon_drool2:
Oh, sorry, you said "1817".
I'll shut up now.

Hobgoblin - If you read here it is an "Extra Strong Ale", "Strong Ale", "English Ale", "Dark Ale"and "English Brown Ale"
http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/pr...?product_id=122

Product Description:

This dark English "strong ale" boasts a full and flavourful malt bouquet, a chocolate toffee malt flavour, and a moderately bitter and fruity hop finish. It is a fine English Brown Ale available both in the bottle and in the can (usually).

11B. Southern English Brown
Aroma: Malty-sweet, often with a rich, caramel or toffee-like character. Moderately fruity, often with notes of dark fruits such as plums and/or raisins. Very low to no hop aroma. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Light to dark brown, and can be almost black. Nearly opaque, although should be relatively clear if visible. Low to moderate off-white to tan head.

Flavor: Deep, caramel-like malty sweetness on the palate and lasting into the finish. May have a moderate dark fruit complexity. Low hop bitterness. Hop flavor is low to non-existent. Little or no perceivable roasty or bitter black malt flavor. Moderately sweet finish with a smooth, malty aftertaste. Low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but residual sweetness may give a heavier impression. Low to moderately low carbonation.

Overall Impression: A luscious, malt-oriented brown ale, with a caramel, dark fruit complexity of malt flavor. May seem somewhat like a smaller version of a sweet stout or a sweet version of a dark mild.

History: English brown ales are generally split into sub-styles along geographic lines. Southern English (or "London-style") brown ales are darker, sweeter, and lower gravity than their Northern cousins.

Comments: Increasingly rare. Some consider it a bottled version of dark mild.

Ingredients: English pale ale malt as a base with a healthy proportion of darker caramel malts and often some roasted malts. Moderate to high carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity. English hop varieties are most authentic, though with low flavor and bitterness almost any type could be used.

Yes I am bored away from home think I may walk down to the bottlo.

Having been brought up in the area, Northern 'brown' ales were traditionally more of a copper colour, strong and a working man's drink, with a similar market to packaged VB nowadays. In those days take-home beer was invariably in bottles and a few pint bottles of broon was their equivalent of sinking a six pack nowadays.

double_maxim_bottle.gif

Southern Brown, on the other hand, was in little stubby bottles and was more of an old guy's or even ladies drink to be supped politely from a goblet type glass, and was much 'browner' and sweeter. Very few examples still exist, I don't know if Mann's brown is still available. These browns were often mixed half and half with bitter in the pub to make a sort of black and tan.
IIRC you wouldn't turn up to a party with a carton of Mann's unless you wanted to be rated as a total poofter :ph34r:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php#1c

11C. Northern English Brown
Aroma: Light, sweet malt aroma with toffee,..............

Commercial Examples: Newcastle Brown Ale, Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale, Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale, Wychwood Hobgoblin, Tregs Rugged Trail Ale, Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown Ale, Avery Ellies Brown Ale, Goose Island Nut Brown Ale, Samuel Adams Brown Ale

Back