The Greatest Beer Of All Time!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
now that i've got everyones attention (i would hope, hehe) although there is countless syles of beer and everyone has a different opinion etc. I would like to know peoples thoughts on what they think the best beer in the world is, weather it be a local microbrewery, homebrewer, yourself or a big name beer etc. I love trying all the different beers I can get my hands on and trying to brew beers that give me those warm fuzzy and often slightly bloated feelings inside, As with many other obsessive homebrewers I would like to carefully craft (when I have the equiptment for AG, which will be soon) absolute liquid gold, beer that has an absolutely complex magic about it that is worthy of the gods! The perfect beer is what I strive to one day create, by gathering together everything that makes certain beers stand out obove the rest together and balancing them, also a possible hint of an adjunct thinking outside the beer(box) to round it u! Such a beer would have to be perfected over years but it's a greatthought hey!

There is no perfect beer. The diversity of beer is what makes it perfect and I'd hate to think of a smoked, soured, aged, dubbel weizen style clean drinking pilsner with loads of late american hop additions.

However favourites include most trappist dubbels (particularly chimay and westmalle), some tripels (particularly chimay and westmalle), English ales on the darker side (old speckled hen, Black Sheep ale), malty eastern european pilsners (Zyviec) and a good stout (Hobgoblin).

Best beer in the world .......................

I know it won't have any fruit in it.

Or be a lambic.

Muggus : I believe it's this beer.

I'd back you to make better beer than that crap !

In fact I know you would make better beer than that stuff !

How can a beer score THAT low?

Best laugh for a long time .. thanks Muggus !

The best beer is always the next beer. Never forget it !

I'd give the gong to Pilsner Urquell.

It's the beer that changed the world (well that's a bit dramatic) from Ale drinkers into Lager drinkers. Although the world is full of fascinating and complex beers, not to mention a few challenging ones, Urquell is a beer that I keep coming back to.

MHB

isn't Carlsberg "probably the best beer in the world"? ;)

It's too hard to pin one down but if you want a brewery that produces high quality beers of many of many different types I'd vote for Holgate. The macedon pale, temptress porter, ESB, hopinator... All great!

I love Coopers special old stout (not the yellow best extra stout)

In Australia... I'd find it hard to split between murray's Wild Thing and Murray's Icon. If I had to choose, I'd go the Icon just because it's available all year round. Maybe not so sessionable for some, but I'll be damned if I can stay away from the stuff...

International.... Wow, what a world to pick from. Hard to nail to one beer alone, but if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Rochefort 8

Been pretty much obsessed with Schlenferla's Urbock lately. Very much out of style for me too. Pretty much strictly a hoppy pale ale man. Sign of a really strong beer? Possibly. Only had one so I dunno if I want to put it forward as my suggestion for best beer ever but it is a contender - certainly the most memorable of recent memory. Other possibilities are White Shield IPA, Meantime IPA and (fresh) SNPA (and sadly most of the ones I've ever gotten my hands on had seen better days).

Too wishy washy? Fine. TED FTW!

[EDIT: bizarre apostrophe]

I can't say I've tasted enough of the world's beers, but my favourite so far is St Bernardus Abt 12. Fruity, spicy, malty and very smooth. http://www.sintbernardus.be/en/beers.html

I have one of those in the fridge. Unfortunately the Tripel didn't survive the plane rides home :angry:
PA162004__Large_.JPG

[quote post='561140' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:08 PM']I'd give the gong to Pilsner Urquell.

It's the beer that changed the world (well that's a bit dramatic) from Ale drinkers into Lager drinkers. Although the world is full of fascinating and complex beers, not to mention a few challenging ones, Urquell is a beer that I keep coming back to.

MHB[/quote]

I don't know if it's the World's Greatest... but this was the most enjoyable beer I've ever had. Open fermented in the Pilsner Urquell cellars.

P9140942__Large_.JPG

Served unfiltered and unpasteurised out of wooden casks. :D

P9140947__Large_.JPG

"....High school dropouts and bums alike enjoy this malt, daily I am sure. Has a strange smell, almost like a strong piss soda. Flavor is filled with hints of goat urine and day old, in the sun cheese. This beer is useful when pouring one for the homies...."

ha ha yeah i'm sure it is :lol:

I have one of those in the fridge. Unfortunately the Tripel didn't survive the plane rides home :angry:
View attachment 33522

I don't know if it's the World's Greatest... but this was the most enjoyable beer I've ever had. Open fermented in the Pilsner Urquell cellars.

View attachment 33520

Served unfiltered and unpasteurised out of wooden casks. :D

View attachment 33521

That looks amazing Josh, I wanna be there :beer:

I love the pilsner urquell, definatley an international highlight. As far as Aussie I'd say you can't beat Coopers Sparkling Ale. In the world ever........? tough question. You'd have to travel the globe and have incredibly extensive beer knowledge. What's the beer equivalent of a wine sommelier......?

Bowie

Beer sommelier. Not being a smartarse. I googled it. Even listed as a job on careers.com.au

I'm not actually a Urquell fan but that last pic is pretty friggen cool Josh.

Beer sommelier. Not being a smartarse. I googled it. Even listed as a job on careers.com.au

I'm not actually a Urquell fan but that last pic is pretty friggen cool Josh.

Can you send me the link, can't find it when entering the words in the search engine

I have to see this job description...

Bowie

Back