The Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aamcle said:
Nice a recirculating biab with a bi- pass, I'd think most of the wort goes down the tube so a stuck sparge is impossible.
Aamcle
I'd rather say a stuck sparge is possible but you won't notice it, which makes it even worse as in theory you could be circulating low gravity wort without extracting much sugars.

I'm just going by what people have said on here though, haven't actually looked at the unit in detail, so I am hoping I am wrong.

Florian said:
I'd rather say a stuck sparge is possible but you won't notice it, which makes it even worse as in theory you could be circulating low gravity wort without extracting much sugars.
I'm thinking the same Florian, look's to me like a 1V HERMS unit. Looks good though.

Edit: not sure if it's RIMS or HERMS or neither.

Florian said:

I'm just going by what people have said on here though, haven't actually looked at the unit in detail, so I am hoping I am wrong.

I think for this reason that a sparge similar to what happens with a conventional mash tun 3v system would be absolutely necessary to get you efficiencies.

Trevandjo said:
Who has got the distribution rights? Or will it be an online purchase, LHBS or... Harvey Norman???
Good question.
I was in my lhbs on Friday and I asked about it. They said they had heard of it but didn't yet know who the distributor was.
This was a staff member though not the owner, he may know a bit more.

They said if they could stock it they would.

wobbly said:
  • Seeing is was supposed to be a side by side comparison then assuming the vols would have been the same my question is how did the GF achieve faster ramps with 2000 watt input than the BM with 2200 watt input?
Beersuit may be able to confirm from his side by side, but I Think the GF may be heating less water during the mash. The BM is close to a full volume mash with optional sparge, whereas I get the impression that a much larger sparge is required for the GF.

From their website:
"The Grainfather will be available online to Australia, Europe and UK customers in November 2014"

In this video he has a 6+ kg grain bill and mashed in with 20l

Malty Cultural said:
Beersuit may be able to confirm from his side by side, but I Think the GF may be heating less water during the mash. The BM is close to a full volume mash with optional sparge, whereas I get the impression that a much larger sparge is required for the GF.
I mashed both of them with 25l and sparged with a watering can. Both identical Gran bills. I can only put the faster ramp down to a quicker flow of wort. The GF does have a concealed element and the boil was a lot more vigorous.

I hope the element is not failing on my BM.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
The distribution in Australia is not decided as yet but you should be able to get one through your local HBS store.
Nev
Nev they are made by IMake who do Mangrove Jack, Still Spirit, Blackrock and copper tun so I'm fairly sure if stores have direct access to these products they will be able to stock them at a reasonable price.

Hairy Goat said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmvt52vW1gY
From the looks of this video the return is just some silicone hose into the wort? Is that right or am I missing something?

Thanks

Yeah it is - this wasn't my video but done by someone I know. Mixed result here with some people loving it and some people reporting stuck mash, leaks, chilling problems, build quality issues, slow ramp times.... Not big problems but if you are spending $1k then you want it to be right. Some of the bits are cheap, eg the temp controller is a $10 STC200, the stainless is thin..

Not being a PID controller it is most likely pumping 2000W into the element the whole time while the BM for better or worse is controlling the temp...

Pirate323i said:
Not being a PID controller it is most likely pumping 2000W into the element the whole time while the BM for better or worse is controlling the temp...
This just doesn't make sense.

Whilst the controller may over/under shoot temps during mash, what your stating would mean the mash would be boiling before mash out. Whilst I get that you are probably making this statement about the boil, adjusting for a hard boil is very rarely a problem as long as it's consistent. Further a PID in most cases doesn't use PWM, so in essence the PID is also lighting up all of the 2000w element in the same scenario, only a PID does it for a micro second at a time whilst checking the result of the application/s.

MB

I've done a number of brews on this unit now from pale lagers through AIPA's and still playing with it.

There will be a PID option coming out I believe.

There's still some tweaking of design going on to iron out some minor inconveniences and the Aust release will have these done.

So far, brew house efficiencies are running in the 80+ % range, with due care to milling, temps and mash pH etc. certainly better than I'd expected.

Stuck sparges will be identifiable as only the excess wort from the pump/recirc goes through the overflow pipe. There's a large area of grain bed under the mesh screen and an adjustable height for the overflow pipe.

The 2000w setting is only engaged to elevate the temp if it's a big jump.

I know there's a lot of Brewers who want a PID. Fair enough, but FFS, there's guys out there making good beers using glass thermometers and $10 cheaparse dial thermometers who don't have a nervous breakdown every time they pick it up. The PID option was requested originally and will come, but in reality, +/- 1 degree for 2 minutes isn't going to turn a gold medal beer into swamp water.

There's a team of people out there including some talented pro and amateur Brewers who are working hard to bring a decent product to market at a reasonable price. When you've actually seen it or brewed with it would be a good time to provide feedback both negative and positive.

It's no use trying to compare a GF unit to a BM unit. Different pieces of kit althogether. one is under 1K, the other over 2k.

The Grainfather will fill a niche and will make perfect sense to the majority of Brewers making the majority of beer styles in single batch sizes, but at under 1k, won't be the same as any 2.5 or 5k system.

In the meantime, if anyone in Brisbane or on the Sunshine Coast wants to host a brewday for a dozen or so guys, I'll happily provide the recipe and make the trip down to make it happen. Host gets the beer. No sales pitch and no expectations.

Martin

HBHB said:
I've done a number of brews on this unit now from pale lagers through AIPA's and still playing with it.

There will be a PID option coming out I believe.

There's still some tweaking of design going on to iron out some minor inconveniences and the Aust release will have these done.

So far, brew house efficiencies are running in the 80+ % range, with due care to milling, temps and mash pH etc. certainly better than I'd expected.

Stuck sparges will be identifiable as only the excess wort from the pump/recirc goes through the overflow pipe. There's a large area of grain bed under the mesh screen and an adjustable height for the overflow pipe.

The 2000w setting is only engaged to elevate the temp if it's a big jump.

I know there's a lot of Brewers who want a PID. Fair enough, but FFS, there's guys out there making good beers using glass thermometers and $10 cheaparse dial thermometers who don't have a nervous breakdown every time they pick it up. The PID option was requested originally and will come, but in reality, +/- 1 degree for 2 minutes isn't going to turn a gold medal beer into swamp water.

There's a team of people out there including some talented pro and amateur Brewers who are working hard to bring a decent product to market at a reasonable price. When you've actually seen it or brewed with it would be a good time to provide feedback both negative and positive.

It's no use trying to compare a GF unit to a BM unit. Different pieces of kit althogether. one is under 1K, the other over 2k.

The Grainfather will fill a niche and will make perfect sense to the majority of Brewers making the majority of beer styles in single batch sizes, but at under 1k, won't be the same as any 2.5 or 5k system.

In the meantime, if anyone in Brisbane or on the Sunshine Coast wants to host a brewday for a dozen or so guys, I'll happily provide the recipe and make the trip down to make it happen. Host gets the beer. No sales pitch and no expectations.

Martin
The weather is nice in WA atm ?
Nev

Latest posts

Back