The Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measured the temp with an alcohol thermometer at the end of the tube during recirc for a number of times. It was only a difference of 1°C. This could be also the difference between the STC-200 and the thermometer. I found it OK

Julez said:
But if the probe is in the high temp zone surely the controller will cut power to the element prematurely before enough hot liquor has been pumped up top? I would be interested to know difference in temp in upper part of mash Vs where the controller is measuring. Even if there is a significant difference, I spose easy to compensate by notching the target temp up a degree or so if required, so no biggie really....

Cheers
Not an issue, the temperature will be close enough. As a result of the flow of grain down through the grain bed, more than half of the wort returning to the base area will have come through the grain bed. During the mash process and recirculation, there's excellent flow through the base area where the element is and where the probe is. End result is good equalisation of temperatures. A deep probe placed 15cm into the mash will read less than 1 deg c difference between the mash bed temp and the wort temp where the probe is located. Most guys running 3V HERMS systems run their probe at the wort outflow point or close to it, but it's not necessarily a true picture of the temp deep inside the grain bed since the PID will turn the pump off once it reaches the target temp.

sjgibson said:
Does anyone have/use the GF sparge water heater?

The image of the control knob on ibrew makes it look like it can be set between 45° & 110°, and I'm wondering whether it would hold a temperature well enough to be used for mashing/boiling for <15L mini-batches...
You can't set the temperature accurately with the knob. It can be easily up to 5 degrees off target and needs to be checked with a thermometer.
Cheers

WhiteLomu said:
You can't set the temperature accurately with the knob. It can be easily up to 5 degrees off target and needs to be checked with a thermometer.
Cheers
Thanks for that -- 5 degrees is a bit more drift than I'd like. Cheers!

Can anyone recommend a GF stockist in the Sydney area? I'm pretty keen to make full use of my tax refund.

My grainfather arrived today. Shame I wasn't home to collect it so it's gone back to the delivery depot. Bugger. Tomorrow then!

For anyone still unsure about the Grainfather, here are two shots of my Pilsner (Just Pils, Carapils and Saaz) I brewed today:
Crystal clear wort going into the fermenter, down to 20c in 20mins with 11c tapwater using the CFC (I used 40L of water total for this, collected 25L and used it for cleaning)

Bottom of the unit after a 4 stage step mash, and the filter showing all the hop sediment (60 gm total thrown directly in) captured.

BrewedCrudeandBitter said:
Can anyone recommend a GF stockist in the Sydney area? I'm pretty keen to make full use of my tax refund.
The Campbelltown brew shop has a few in stock.

slcmorro said:
Bottom of the unit after a 4 stage step mash, and the filter showing all the hop sediment (60 gm total thrown directly in) captured.
What are you using as a hop screen there?

slcmorro said:
Nothing. That's the standard filter as is. All I used was a whirlfloc tab.
Can't complain about the clarity there.

Do you use a hop bag?

slcmorro said:
Nothing. That's the standard filter as is. All I used was a whirlfloc tab.
I've also just been using the standard hop screen up to 150g of hops. Yet to have a problem

pcmfisher said:
Can't complain about the clarity there.

Do you use a hop bag?
I do for most beers but in this one, no. That was the clarity I got even after having thrown 60gms direct into the boil loose.

Latest posts

Back