The Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance someone with a GF could tell me the hole diameter in the bottom perforated plate? looks about 2mm but not quite sure

Cervantes said:
Grainfather - Quality Control.

I hope the QC on the build is better than it is on the advertising.

I notice in this edition of BYO Magazine the advert claims that the Grainfather can hold up to 2lb of grain.................

attachicon.gif
Grainfather.JPG
No it's really crap, don't buy it.

Should I buy one of these today? I have a 3v Gravity fed system at the moment. I was looking at upgrading to a single level using the bunnings racking, 2 pumps and hard plumbed gas lines. I've always looked at the bm as sort of cheating( anyone can download a recipe and add grain to a machine). These days I'm always busy and don't get to brew no where near as much as I would like too, and find myself drinking shit mega swill at home. I'm now considering a bm or gf, is it cheating??? Should I keep my current system as is and buy the gf? Should I get rid of my current system as I won't use it once I get a bm or gf?? Thoughts????ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423692562.960161.jpg

chopdog said:
Should I buy one of these today? I have a 3v Gravity fed system at the moment. I was looking at upgrading to a single level using the bunnings racking, 2 pumps and hard plumbed gas lines. I've always looked at the bm as sort of cheating( anyone can download a recipe and add grain to a machine). These days I'm always busy and don't get to brew no where near as much as I would like too, and find myself drinking shit mega swill at home. I'm now considering a bm of gf, is it cheating??? Should I keep my current system as is and buy the gf? Should I get rid of my current system as I won't use it once I get a bm or gf?? Thoughts????
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423692562.960161.jpg
gf = girlfriend, right?

i don't see how it's cheating. sure it might make it easier, hardly cheating. you're still making it from scratch. just doing it a different way.

I cant wait to get one of these units.... My mates about to get one . I have to wait till tax time what a buggar.. From all the research I have done im not finding anyone unhappy with their purchase . I will be stepping up from extract / steeping grain etc and cant wait .

Darren.

I ended up getting it this arvo, do most of you guys use the formula's supplied. Was there much adjustment needed to your previous recipes?

chopdog said:
I ended up getting it this arvo, do most of you guys use the formula's supplied. Was there much adjustment needed to your previous recipes?
Chop
Only picked mine up last Saturday, and used the formulas supplied. Boiled for 90 minutes so was a bit low into the cube volume wise, but knocked the efficiency out if the park.

Can't wait to brew again. Haven't really checked adjustment to previous recipes, but suspect it's going to be an efficiency adjustment.

chopdog said:
Formulae are good but you do need to use less water than stated as you go much over 8kg of grain. V hard to get the top plate in otherwise.
Suggest you have the water available but hold back 2-3 litres to add after you've mixed in grain and then add it if it will fit.
I've been brewing strong and then pitching on to 10 litres of water in the fermenter to stretch to 35 litres.

hughbert said:
i'm hopefully picking one up in the next few days. eh Spiesy? gunna be great!
Should be today or Monday, my good man. Not long now!

The old "your mileage may vary" is important here when it comes to calculations.
I've found I need the normal amount of water specified from the formula and the last brew actually required about 2 litres more.

There are a number of reasons why - dare say mine is because I'm adjusting my crush each brew do find a sweet spot.

My advice is, for the first brew stick to the GF calculations and then test and adjust from there.

Enjoy!

I've read back a bit but haven't seen these q's yet, apologies if they've been answered. For owners of the GF, can you tell me:

1. How long does it take to reach strike temp generally?
2. Does it save the last temp when powered off? As in, can you fill it the night before, then use a timer for it to power on in the morning and heat to strike temps with no interaction?
3. Does it need a 15a circuit or is 10a ok?

carniebrew said:
I've read back a bit but haven't seen these q's yet, apologies if they've been answered. For owners of the GF, can you tell me:

1. How long does it take to reach strike temp generally?
2. Does it save the last temp when powered off? As in, can you fill it the night before, then use a timer for it to power on in the morning and heat to strike temps with no interaction?
3. Does it need a 15a circuit or is 10a ok?
1. Depends on temp
2. Yep & yep if the timer is suitably rated
3.10a

HBHB said:
1. Depends on temp
2. Yep & yep if the timer is suitably rated
3.10a
Thanks and sorry, that was a big vague. Can you estimate how quickly it heats from say 20C to 70C if you're indoors at ambient room temps?

carniebrew said:
Thanks and sorry, that was a big vague. Can you estimate how quickly it heats from say 20C to 70C if you're indoors at ambient room temps?
Dunno about 20c, but I put hot water in (55c) and it takes about 10-12 mins to get to strike.

Well given the heating source it should be pretty linear, so that suggests about 1.5 degrees per minute. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back