The French Press Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using the french press method of adding some hop flavour/aroma, rather than dry hopping. Couple of questions-

Does it work ok with pellets, or only with flowers? (i imagine it might get a bit messy with pellets?)
How much water should i add to the press? (planning to use about 25g of hop pellets)
What temp should the water be when i add it, and how long should i let it sit and brew?

I am aiming to get both aroma and flavour out of the addition.

Cheers!

I use a 1L plunger. Don't bother with a small plunger, by the time the hops swell up you will be wasting your time; pellets do swell a bit and the 1L version helps heaps. Measure the hops, throw them in the plunger, pour water from your kettle into it. Stir and leave for 10mins (or more if I get sidetracked) plunge and pour into keg.

If you are planning on using the french press/ plunger, allow this extra volume of water in your original brew sheet. ie nearly a 1L of hoped water will dilute you malt goodness, so allow for it. Also if you have a keg that needs a hop bump, you can half refill the plunger, re stir, sit for another 5-10mins and pour that into it. You will be surprised how much goodness comes out from the second batch.

After you have added the hops to the keg I find it improves dramatically after 24hours.

QldKev

Do you do All Grain and No Chill in a cube?
If so then a useful trick with flowers, but not too good with pellets, is to make a strong hop tea in a 1 litre plunger and put that in the fridge. Then use the pressed flowers in the boil of your brew as part of, or all of, the bittering addition (depending on the AA of the hop), no chill and add the hop tea direct to the fermenter.

As Kev says there is still goodness left in those pressings and it's satisfying to be able to get everything out of the hop that you can - especially if you are using ten bucks worth in a brew.

Do you do All Grain and No Chill in a cube?
If so then a useful trick with flowers, but not too good with pellets, is to make a strong hop tea in a 1 litre plunger and put that in the fridge. Then use the pressed flowers in the boil of your brew as part of, or all of, the bittering addition (depending on the AA of the hop), no chill and add the hop tea direct to the fermenter.

As Kev says there is still goodness left in those pressings and it's satisfying to be able to get everything out of the hop that you can - especially if you are using ten bucks worth in a brew.

How do you calculate the new AA of the hop after french pressing?
I think this could be used for chilled AG as well.

How do you calculate the new AA of the hop after french pressing?
I think this could be used for chilled AG as well.

Seat of pants method :rolleyes:
It's one of those suck it and see methods, I did it with NZ Hallertau Aroma flowers and made a very nice fake lager. IMHO it goes really well in beers that don't need a heck of a lot of background IBU anyway but where aroma is good - Pale continental lagers, Asian lagers etc. Would probably work very well with UK bitters as well - which often aren't all that bitter.

Seat of pants method :rolleyes:
It's one of those suck it and see methods, I did it with NZ Hallertau Aroma flowers and made a very nice fake lager. IMHO it goes really well in beers that don't need a heck of a lot of background IBU anyway but where aroma is good - Pale continental lagers, Asian lagers etc. Would probably work very well with UK bitters as well - which often aren't all that bitter.

or a S&W clone using flowers which I am tomorrow, low bitterness, plenty of late and dry hopping mmmmmm hops 4 thought. Ta!

The other thing I was thinking what type of beer is this? 25g is a big late addition is it a APA/IPA?

QldKev

Thanks for replies guys.

Yeah- AG and no chill in cube. I usually use pellets, but if using flowers in future i'll give it a shot Bribie!

I know its a big late addition- kind of a messy APA, though not really to style. Keen for a pretty big flavour/aroma hit.

Back