The Flag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough with the ******* Qantas kangaroo! It makes everything look like a souvenir, not a national flag.

While I'm sure it won't look identical, the general silhouette of a kangaroo in mid-jump that's used everywhere always reminds me of Qantas. Damn them and their effective advertising...

Why would you want a animal on the flag that we slaughter by the tens of thousands each year, how embarassing that would be.

-Browndog

How bout this then??

gallery_7556_552_15052.jpg

Murcluf,

My grandfather has almost the exact same story, just sub "The Netherlands" for "Algeria". I'm not sure what your reply to me has to do with what I said...

Whenever this flag or republic issue comes up, without fail some nationalist will jump up and say "if you don't like it fk off". Of course, this response is about as un-Australian as they come - as I stated, Australia is built on differences amongst people, and it's what makes us great. That some people think people with different opinions should just leave, and that you (and plenty of others) are more then happy to close the door behind them is an embarassment. Personally, I'm more then happy to share this country with people with different opinions to mine.
Agreed a difference of opinions is a good thing and Austraila is a welcoming nation and the fact that it is a multicultural society. What is missed and most probably because people do jump to the wrong conclusion when some one says "if you don't like it leave", is that....that is exactly what those who immigrated did with the country they came from they left and Australia is better for it.

Even with differences of opinion we need to work together to continue making Australia the great nation it is, I love Australia everything it stands for and everyone in it regardless of race creed or colour.

Group Hug :D enough said....

Under your logic I presume you'd equally be calling for a change to Kingsland once Liz abdicates?
liz wont abdicate. shell die or retire. charles should abdicate and let prince whatsit be king. more people would follow him than charles. if nothing else he has better taste in women and takes military choppers for joyrides to see his girlfriend. thats the kind of king you want. kind of the like that movie king ralf with John Goodman.

edit: oh and again. i vote for international australia day.

i like that we eat the animals featured on our coat of arms. only country in thw world to do so. makes us special :)

It's on the coat of arms so what's the difference?
Got to love a well cooked marinated Kangaroo fillet, was in Mildura's working mans club on the weekend they had Emu and Croc steaks on the menu. Couple years ago I was up in Quorn and at one of the pub had Camel steaks on the menu.

We're not shy....

It's on the coat of arms so what's the difference?

I tend to think the Japs would give us heaps in retaliation for our stance on them whaling, not to mention the conservationists. If they did decide to change it, I think the outline of Ayer's Rock in the center with a blue sky and red foreground would be cool, after all, it is a symbol of the heart of our nation.

I tend to think the Japs would give us heaps in retaliation for our stance on them whaling, not to mention the conservationists. If they did decide to change it, I think the outline of Ayer's Rock in the center with a blue sky and red foreground would be cool, after all, it is a symbol of the heart of our nation.

Uluru, please BD, Uluru.

:)

Most conservationists would (or should) understand the great damage that non indigenous animals can do to our environment that indigenous ones don't. Kangaroo vs cattle? Kangaroo wins hands down.

Free range too. Who could complain about that?

roos aren't endangered either. or being killed under the guise of science. but we digress

II think the outline of Ayer's Rock in the center with a blue sky and red foreground would be cool, after all, it is a symbol of the heart of our nation.
hmm not sure about that. sure Uluru is a symbol. and in the middle-ish of australia, but not sure it being the heart of australia.

something to do with mateship. yup. making it easy arent i! picking something that means differant things to everyone.

NFI what we could have. maybe just a big arse bbq qith lots of meat and booze. lamb chops, roo, emu, booze, beaches all squished onto a flag. oh and the southern cross. dont mind the old stars

AusFlag is a pretty good website for this debate.

I personally like this one...

95_1.gif

I like the idea of ochre instead of red. Red with blue and white would still tie us too closely to the UK. But ochre is the colour of a good proportion of the land. I like the white on the fringes which to me represent the coastline around our island. And the blue obviously is the oceans and seas surrounding us.

I think the southern cross is a fine enough symbol to represent Australia. Even though it isn't unique to us, it works well.

Alternatively you could something like the following design, but with the blue, white and ochre colours. Not keen on green and gold.

95_4.gif

Either way, I'm pretty keen on losing the Union Jack. I'm also a Republican, but could live with remaining in the Commonwealth instead of a presidential campaign like the USA. I was actually a fan of the model proposed in 1999.

Most conservationists would (or should) understand the great damage that non indigenous animals can do to our environment that indigenous ones don't. Kangaroo vs cattle? Kangaroo wins hands down.

Free range too. Who could complain about that?

Youd have to be a frign school teacher <_<

You'd have to be a frig'n school teacher <_<

Not even vaguely sure why you think so but no.

What does my occupation have to do with my opinion on a flag or my understanding of what I eat?

the old soldiers who fought in the boer war went to south africa under their state flags and in state units, and the ww1 diggers fought under the red ensign as the aussie flag'

so are these old soldiers rolling in their graves already!

the old soldiers who fought in the boer war went to south africa under their state flags and in state units, and the ww1 diggers fought under the red ensign as the aussie flag'

so are these old soldiers rolling in their graves already!

See, the thing is they are dead, gone, no longer here. You could piss on their graves and it won't matter a whit, you never lived in their times so you just don't know what went on. Your suggestion has no relevance to the people living today that have a stake in changing the flag.

Latest posts

Back