The five stages of inebriation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find! Though stage five actually looks quite desirable, so I'm not sure how effective it is as a form of temperance propaganda ...

It must have made it quite easy for temperance campaigners to identify drunkards in the wild, though. "Saw two 'threes' and three 'twos' down the alley." "And I saw a group of fives, all in a row!" "Shameful, simply shameful!"

Wheelbarrows are absolutely essential for the modern wastrel.

Otherwise known as designated drivers in the current period. Could be a useful piece of old-time nomenclature:

"Who will be the wheelbarrow this evening?"
"Aye."

Could be a # 6 there.
Prostrate in a puddle of vomit. That may have shocked the temperance mob into stress induced fits though. :lol:

Wereprawn - pretty sure this whole thing was done partly for the laughs anyway. The Temperance Leaguers definitely had a sense of humour....

http://ghostsofdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/lips-that-touch-liquor.jpg
lips-that-touch-liquor.jpg

I would say, the modern wheelbarrow makes for a far more agreeable, if somewhat unstable birth in which to take ones repose.

According to this scale, I'm trying to keep it at a step 5.

The_Drunkards_Progress.png

I thought the modern equivalent of the wheelbarrow for most drunk wastrels was the shopping trolley. Or is that just out in the 'burbs?

In the 18th century, Hogarth did this sort of thing brilliantly.

Pretty sure he liked beer....

BeerStreet.jpg

EDIT: The inscription below reads:

BEER, happy produce of our isle,
Can sinewy strength impart,
And wearied with fatigue and toil
Can chear each manly heart.

Labour and Art, upheld by thee
Successfully advance,
We quaff thy balmy juice with glee
And WATER leave to France.

Genius of health, thy grateful taste
Rivals the cup of Jove
And warms each English generous breast
With Liberty and Love.

I love especially how they refer to 'thy balmy juice' - English warm beer!

And Gin..

Though there seems to a little more social decay on gin street. And, apperently, one of Britney Spears ancestors.

IMG_0001.jpg

If your dreams are in black and white and etched then you might want to get your dream artist a colour camera.

Stage one as often as possible
Stage two whenever stage one fails to impress
Always skip stage 3 and jump to stage 4
Stage 5 usually means I hide from life for a week and wait for the dust to settle ( only happens every two days)

Ooohh look beer I made in a handy, easy access tapped keg.
Edit. Sorry what were we talking about?
Edit. Edit. Live youse guys
Edit edit edit .... Love.

Back