The Brown Falcon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef_g

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Just a recipe idea I'd like some feedback on, based loosely on an American Brown Ale single hopped with Falconer's Flight (hence the name).

Fermentables:
1.5kg light DME
1.5 kg dark DME
300g medium crystal grain - steeped 30 min at 70 degrees
100g chocolate grain - steeped 30 min at 70 degrees

Hops:
15gFalconer's Flight @60 min
15g FF @20 min
20g FF @10 min
30g FF dry hopped at 5 days

Yeast:
US05 pitched at 22 degrees. (I generally drop about 4 degrees over the first three days before it evens out)

Couple of questions. Does using DME instead of LME contribute to cloudiness in beers? I have not tried any clearing agents in the past. If I was to add anything to clear my beer what would be the best approach? And most importantly, what do you think of the recipe?

Keef, having not brewed with dry malt before (DME) I can't help with the LME v DME question, but for clearing the beer I use a fermentation fridge with enough grunt to drop the temp down really low say 3 degrees or less and then leave it at that temp for about 4 days to 2 weeks depending on how quickly I need my beer.

Obviously finishing fermentation (2 weeks) is somewhat of a pre-req for this cold conditioning phase.

Cheers,
D80

Few things I would suggest.

Move the 20 min addition to 15 or less.

Use two types of crystal to add some complexity. So say a light and a medium crystal (not a big deal but personally find it nicer)

Up the Choc to 150-200g.

What was your expected OG and IBU?

thanks keifer33

Using Ianh's spreadsheet OG 1.052 and IBU 36. Calculated IBU 29.8, I guess this is due to the size of my boil (5L)

Latest posts

Back