The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Build/Advice/Question Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to know, where should these fans be mounted on the unit?

Hi Buckerooni

The SSRs will get warm but if they are too hot to leave a finger on the heatsink then I recommend a fan.
I ordered my fan on epay as it is an odd size. I put a little switch on the side of the controller to switch it on and off. I have a second switch that turns the control line for second SSR off as well as easier than switching 20A. Use that to control the boil if required.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zwitter said:
Hi Buckerooni

The SSRs will get warm but if they are too hot to leave a finger on the heatsink then I recommend a fan.
I ordered my fan on epay as it is an odd size. I put a little switch on the side of the controller to switch it on and off. I have a second switch that turns the control line for second SSR off as well as easier than switching 20A. Use that to control the boil if required.

James

2 x 4500w, it's going to get a little warmer than your or my 2 x 2400w! :)

Having trouble finding the post describing how to wire the fan into the controller. Anyone remember where that is?

Just bought a fan :)

yep , I can confirm having a fan is the shiz ...my heat sink does not even get warm ,,previously without fan ..hot baby hot

mick , is there a chance you can look at my other controller
I believe I need a new board and reflash ... after I zapped it

micbrew said:
yep , I can confirm having a fan is the shiz ...my heat sink does not even get warm ,,previously without fan ..hot baby hot

mick , is there a chance you can look at my other controller
I believe I need a new board and reflash ... after I zapped it
sure we can sort something out. My Lael kit is in pieces on the dinning table while I work on V2.0. I have to say Lael put in a lot of work to get this done, I've really only fleshed some stuff out at this point, it's going to take me months.
Trying to get to town for the southern courage release, but have to see what the doc says. PM me over the weekend.

Hi Micbrew

Shiz ?
Your spell checker seems to be defective!

James
Zwitter

yep............. ..shooda been ..........shizzle

not ta mention my grammatical errors

ha ha

mick

Is anyone having issues with the PWM power adjustment during boil?? In auto mode my controller starts the boil timer once the boil temperature is reached, then it just provides boil temperature adjustment and is a right pain in the ass/impossible to maintain the correct boil power using just boil temperature adjustments.

Any ideas??

I think it's related to the pump during boil setting. As soon as I disabled that I had PWM control return at the boil. It's slightly annoying if you want to do a no chill as if you want to pump the wort out you have to go into settings and enable the pump during boil and adjust the temp lockout to about 100C.

Wish there was just a pump lockout setting you can use without having the pump come on during the boil!

Hi All,

I'm not sure whether it is worthy of a poll, but I'm interested in finding out what size setup most have gone with. I'm not sure whether to create a single batch or double batch setup. I realise that at the end of the day, it is my decision, but I see pros and cons in both setups.

Cheers,
Jase

I went with a 100L main pot, a 35L MP and a 50L(odd)MP. About to put together a second system 50L keg with a BM20L MP. 35L odd malt pipe gives you a mild ground to do singles and doubles but your doubles won't stretch much above 1050.

Hey gang. Just thought I'd share my finished product.
Finally done, however it took me so long that if I have have looked at building now, I probably would have just bought a Gainfather.
Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the final outcome.
Rough prices of components are as follows:
Lael controller $300? I can't recall exactly how much it was
Ss Brewtech kettle $280
Heat element $140
Brau magnetic pump $80
Brau original malt pipe and mesh plates $160 (I think)
Beermometer $80
Skin fittings $17ea
Various parts fittings couplings and cables $100

I also originally used a Bayou Classic (you'll see in some pics) ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027518.178314.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027518.178314.jpgboiler however it never survived the welding. It was an American built heap of thin cheap junk, and I suspect it was very low grade stainless, wasted my money on that pot, had to cut the legs off.

As you can see it wasn't the cheapest of builds as I used more premium end of parts however it certainly came in under the original Brau price. I'm a Mechanical Fitter and an Electrician and when I looked at the Braumeister's I just couldn't see $2500 worth of hardware and software. I was originally going to build a manually operated machine however came across Lael's kit which was great timing.

I'm yet to christen it (although I have cooked a sous vide with it) as I've only finished it this week and am just working out the boil off rates etc.

I also have no idea on how to drive it! Is there a manual for this thing? How do I program the time and temp settings?

It needs a name too. iBrew? Thoughts, suggestions?

Anyhow have a look at the pics. Happy to answer any questions.
Chris
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027582.770834.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027607.536059.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027625.977367.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027664.717087.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027691.489427.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027730.968977.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027767.588054.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027787.127152.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027827.877871.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027870.284607.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027891.717060.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027929.846423.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027948.819980.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028004.138060.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028054.547128.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028103.506161.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028221.418302.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028254.404306.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028309.448331.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028328.781636.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028349.007433.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488028382.835929.jpg

How SSRs are attached to heatsinks? Is there a space between ssr metal plate and heatsink or you covered it somehow? I am doing a new build and I do not have space for heatsink inside but I am not really shure how I can put it outside that way that all metal plate from SSR will touch heatsink.

Beautiful piece of work! Yes you can select manual, and change the temp to match the setting you want. If you haven't already, run through the config on the unit.

LiquidCurrency said:
Finally done, however it took me so long that if I have have looked at building now, I probably would have just bought a Gainfather.
Ss Brewtech kettle $280
Heat element $140
Brau magnetic pump $80
Beermometer $80
Skin fittings $17ea

I also originally used a Bayou Classic (you'll see in some pics)
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027518.178314.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488027518.178314.jpgboiler however it never survived the welding. It was an American built heap of thin cheap junk, and I suspect it was very low grade stainless, wasted my money on that pot, had to cut the legs off.

As you can see it wasn't the cheapest of builds as I used more premium end of parts however it certainly came in under the original Brau price. I'm a Mechanical Fitter and an Electrician and when I looked at the Braumeister's I just couldn't see $2500 worth of hardware and software. I was originally going to build a manually operated machine however came across Lael's kit which was great timing.

I'm yet to christen it (although I have cooked a sous vide with it) as I've only finished it this week and am just working out the boil off rates etc.

I also have no idea on how to drive it! Is there a manual for this thing? How do I program the time and temp settings?

Chris

Cut a hole in your box, so that the SSR goes through, and then make sure your heatsink is larger than that on all sides, with enough space to tap into the heatsink through another set of holes in the box, and then screw it in. heatsink through box. mounting screws - box wall - heatsink.

terragady said:
How SSRs are attached to heatsinks? Is there a space between ssr metal plate and heatsink or you covered it somehow? I am doing a new build and I do not have space for heatsink inside but I am not really shure how I can put it outside that way that all metal plate from SSR will touch heatsink.

@lael

ups, I have a signle heatsink which is exactly same size as SSR. I will have to figure something out :) thanks for help!

That is glorious!

LiquidCurrency said:
Ss Brewtech kettle $280
Heat element $140
Brau magnetic pump $80
Beermometer $80
Skin fittings $17ea

I also originally used a Bayou Classic (you'll see in some pics) boiler however it never survived the welding. It was an American built heap of thin cheap junk, and I suspect it was very low grade stainless, wasted my money on that pot, had to cut the legs off.

Latest posts

Back