The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Build/Advice/Question Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beeing a sparkey I will not ask any wiring questions :)

I do have a couple questions.....

It seems that my board already have the latest version of ardbir and software. I think hehe. I did a dry run with water tonigth and after a few tweeks of the PID settings i got accseptable results. BUT, why do the pump run when mash out are finished and it goes to boil part of the program ? I do have sensor outside in the recirc loop. Will pump run all the time until boil temp are reached ? As i read the manual for ardbir, temp sensor are dismissed for boil settings with external sensor ?

Hey freelander!
There is a setting for pump on during the boil. Try setting it to off.

Sorry everybody, I'm away on holidays with no Internet. Will reply on Sunday when home. GF needs a bigger silicone washer to work.

lael said:
Hey freelander!
This option seems not possible when selected external sensor ? I migth have to select internal sensor and adjust pump behaviour ?

Hi guys, a question.

From what I understand the relay on the board will switch a 240v load, but what if you feed it a12v positive DC side?

Will it switch 12v on and off?

If it will, couldn't we use this as a way to run the second SSR for the pump?

Thanks.

nfragol said:
Hi guys, a question.

From what I understand the relay on the board will switch a 240v load, but what if you feed it a12v positive DC side?

Will it switch 12v on and off?

If it will, couldn't we use this as a way to run the second SSR for the pump?

Thanks.
Yes, IF one SSR can handle your load( heating elements)

Hey Nfragol,

I think I posted about this a little bit ago - yes! it works!

Run a line from +12v to the relay in, from relay out to the SSR DC+, then from SSR DC- to GND. The transistor allows the current to flow from the supply through to ground when switched on, supplying power to the SSR DC side.

I'm looking into SSRs that can switch 2 sets of AC output for people that want to move the 240v off the board and still run 2 heating elements. It also adds a level of comfort knowing that if you accidentally plug your heater into your pump socket you won't burn out the relay (can handle 5A @ 240).

Hi Tzoon

A thought about your heater issue.
You need to run setup and choose electric instead of Gas for the heater source for the arduino to switch the pin that drives the SŚRs?

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Brauduino builders.
Well I have put a small SSR in to one of my controllers to drive the pump. This does require some soldering skills and a solder sucker or solder wick so not for the non electronics folk. It does give the option to take the 240 away from the PCB but I have actually left it on the PCB to keep the snubber circuit in play.
First photo is the before shot.
Second is with the relay removed by desoldering.
Third is wired up to the SSR purchased from jaycar. It is rated to 3amps which is heaps for the normal pumps.
Last photo is all back together again. NOTE I screwed up and have the Mega plugged in backwards here and yes I plugged it in and yes I blew it up!

Had to wait till got home to dig out another one and program it up. It all works but lost my saved configs PID settings etc

The SSR is held in with double sided tape.

Lael is sourcing some double SSRs that offers another solution so stay tuned. That will not require removal of the relay but will require some more wiring changes.

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1451473698.632622.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1451473763.297376.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1451473821.127868.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1451473903.109079.jpg

lael said:
Hey Nfragol,

I think I posted about this a little bit ago - yes! it works!

Run a line from +12v to the relay in, from relay out to the SSR DC+, then from SSR DC- to GND. The transistor allows the current to flow from the supply through to ground when switched on, supplying power to the SSR DC side.

I'm looking into SSRs that can switch 2 sets of AC output for people that want to move the 240v off the board and still run 2 heating elements. It also adds a level of comfort knowing that if you accidentally plug your heater into your pump socket you won't burn out the relay (can handle 5A @ 240).
Hey Lael thanks, must of missed it somehow. My bad.

Should the SSR DC- go to GND (the same one we use for the 240v side) or to DC- on the power supply?

No worries, wasn't saying not to ask. Its a great question! :)

SSR DC- should go to DC- on the power supply. It is probably easier to run the power from and back to the power in terminal though

lael said:
Hey freelander!
Loaded last software....
Tested all the way to boil with external sensor selected and pump runs all the way until boil temp are reached. Ditched the external sensor and installed the one suplied with the kit in the vessel. ( same location as factory sensor) Now it works as a charm :) With internal sensor enabled I can adjust pump operations as I see feit during the different stages :)

freelander2002 said:
Loaded last software....
Tested all the way to boil with external sensor selected and pump runs all the way until boil temp are reached. Ditched the external sensor and installed the one suplied with the kit in the vessel. ( same location as factory sensor) Now it works as a charm :) With internal sensor enabled I can adjust pump operations as I see feit during the different stages :)
Did you need to replace the washer? Can you post pics of your rig? :)

Nice job Lael,
as usual....

Happy new year guys.

Tzoon

Lael,

Just read through the instructions and feel that even I may be able to pull this off.

Great work and many thanks.

As requested :) My rig are of the make Bratberg Compact brewer. I have opted for a single connection with the multiplug :)
Have all power, signals and power for pump (12vcd) going thru a single multicore cable ( ölflex 12x1,5 mm2)
Removed original control panel and mounted the multipin socket in its place. Modification done so brewer can be reverted to original state in the future.

20160103_142402.jpg

20160103_142419.jpg

20160103_142432.jpg

20160103_142644.jpg

20160103_142542.jpg

Latest posts

Back