The Best Home Brew Bottle Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnno.

Try reading the thread closer before bagging people's posts. People are just offering up information, even if it's not what you wanted to hear...

You need to read the original post, it had nothing to do with removing labels.

please gentlemen does it really matter that it had nothing to do with the original post ... the messages above the one i posted regarding a rugby game arent even close to being remotely close to the original topic but is anyone crying over that , i as Kaiser stated was simply replying to a previous message if thats a bad thing then i dont see the point in the whole site ... are we not all adults and able to converse tangently about similar but differing topics ??

thats my bit hope i didnt upset anyone .... Cheers Barra

Barra, try quoting next time to avoid confusion.

Oh, and any chance you can make that signature smaller? 28 lines for a signature, c'mon! Try condensing each category into a single line - check out Ross' and Doc's signature for ideas mate.

Perhaps you should pass it on then!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, Have you done many bottles that way? do they seal/ store well enough?
Seems like a good idea, and when you have a significant other consuming quantities of bubbly like mine the resource cannot be wasted!

FHG

I've sealed tons of champers bottles with the tirage bell. Seals as well as any crown seal. Just costs a little more for the caps.

A lot of my posts from 2004 and earlier now view as blank or full of weirdness. Weird.
I'll bet you're using [insert browser thats not internet explorer here]. I've come around a lot of forums using this same forums software that do it on random posts. the old post of yours shows up in firefox as the email link and an "---> arrow. if you look in the source html, the post's contents is still there but there's an improperly closed comment which nukes all of your post up until the next correct comment. IE interprets it differently to basically every other browser (which in my eyes means IE is flat out wrong), and the developers obviously only tested in IE back then so you end up with this situation where the page stuffs up in anything but IE. my little standards compliant rant

Looks OK in IE. I've seen it a lot with my old posts. Is it something in my actual posts?

28 lines for a signature, c'mon!

That is pretty excessive, barra.

Well my mum likes to go out to markets and the like.
She normally comes home with crap, but on the weekend, she came back with the bottle of all home brew bottles!

Behold.

swingtopimages2.gif

It's the one in the middle. 1.5l swingtop. It is much bigger than the picture indicates. It's wider than a normal 1l stein and its 40+ cm high!

Im trying to track down more of these! I think I'm in love!

BTW, does anyone know a good place to buy 750ml glass beer bottles? I am after about 100 (You know, longnecks, longies, tallies) I'm in Sydney. (But come to Canberra every so often!)

Davee et. al all I can say is that I'm not worthy! Well done lads my best is an ol' Emu Export King Brown 750 ml. Extra thick glass, but the one you unearthed is truely top shelf!

please gentlemen does it really matter that it had nothing to do with the original post ... the messages above the one i posted regarding a rugby game arent even close to being remotely close to the original topic but is anyone crying over that , i as Kaiser stated was simply replying to a previous message if thats a bad thing then i dont see the point in the whole site ... are we not all adults and able to converse tangently about similar but differing topics ??

I dint think its so wrong to go slightly off topic, what seems strange tho is that you replied to a thread thats over 3 years old.

I dint think its so wrong to go slightly off topic, what seems strange tho is that you replied to a thread thats over 3 years old.

Thats about the same vintage as the jokes I post on here !.....

Oh sh1t !, Now I've gone off topic too.....RRUUUUUUUNNNNN !!, here comes the flames!!!

The empty 1.5litre Grolsh bottles are turning up everywhere, I guess the attraction to no-brewers is wearing off. Cellarbrations at Epping in Sydney is selling them for $19, not bad if you are a Grolsh fan.
Around $1-$3 seems to be the garage sale price!

Council clean ups are a great time to pick up tallies. Our supply of 2nd hand tallies comes from people who have recently moved on to kegging & want some space cleared in the back of the shed. $8 for a crate of 16 bottles seems to be the going rate. Keep an eye on our website & newsletters, as at the moment we have sold out of everything & have started a waiting list!

Champagne bottles are a good alternative, although the punt in the bottom of the bottles can cause a carbonation problem. This is usually only an issue with your higher priced bottles of sparkling wines, basically the flat bottom like the Scharers brewery bottles work best. The Tirage bell is very easy to swap on your bench capper.

Cheers
Gerard

Looks OK in IE. I've seen it a lot with my old posts. Is it something in my actual posts?

i think it's to do with how the forum software used to denote quotes. they used to have a comment before quotes like:
< !--QuoteBegin--Boots+Sep 1 2003, 08:33 PM-->
i dont completely follow why, but im pretty sure the -- between QuoteBegin and Boots makes browsers look for a different "end comment" sequence or something. now quotes have a comments like:
< !--quoteo(post=157939:date=Oct 4 2006, 05:37 PM:name=fhgwgads)-->
so it doesnt happen.

i use those bottles all the time, magnums certainly save time bottling. But you can't stand them up in the fridge because they won't fit in the door and generally too tall to fit in the normal part of the fridge. Good for esky full of ice though.

The best home brew bottle IMHO are the Grolsch bottles.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if it wasn't for them I dont think I would have ventured in home brewing at all as I really did not like the thought of manually capping bottles.

Lucky the Grolsch option popped up. Also probably because of the Grolsch bottles I have delayed commisioning the keg system. That will change once I shift later this year.

On a side note: Let's keep this thread on track. It is about home brew bottles. Not about removing labels or internet browsers. As for the rugby comments, well in those days there was far less active users than now and threads did tend to go off topic more easily.

These days we like to keep the board as neat as possible as there are many more active users and things can get out of hand rather quickly.

Feel free to bring back old posts. But keep them on topic.

cheers
johnno

I scored a few of the 1500ml Grolsch swingtops recently. They are handy for taking along a bit of keg beer to a BYO without all the paraphernalia of a portable draught system.

They can also make you look sociable and generous with your precious brew when in fact you are only turning up with a few stubbies worth.

Of course, there's nothing sociable or generous about swigging out of a 1.5 litre bottle, but that works too...

I scored a few of the 1500ml Grolsch swingtops recently. They are handy for taking along a bit of keg beer to a BYO without all the paraphernalia of a portable draught system.

Now THAT is a great idea. One of the things that has been putting me off kegging (apart from $$) is that I like being able to take a good volume of my beer to parties for "Others". A couple of 1500ml Grolsch bottles would do the trick.

I also recall seeing somewhere a 3 litre bottle with a wee tap. I thought at the time "That would be a great HB bottle" except that it may leak under pressure.

They can also make you look sociable and generous with your precious brew when in fact you are only turning up with a few stubbies worth.

Thats why I love taking an esky of HB stubbies to a party. "Whoa he bought a carton of beer".....Yeah but it cost me about a tenner!!

Of course, there's nothing sociable or generous about swigging out of a 1.5 litre bottle, but that works too...

I dont know. Sounds pretty sociable to me.

BTW whats that in stubbies? 1500ml ~ 4 stubbies.
Im gonna get me some of them if I can.....

ATOMT :party:

This always raises a good smile and plenty of good cheer when I bring this baby along. You're the most welcomed person at the party, but does make you look like an alco to the girlies ;)

I agree, the novelty of draging an 18L keg and full gas bottle along wears off real quick when you have to do 2 or 3 trips to the car to get the stuff out. This is a nice self contained unit that I can get in one go. Saves me having to grab the empties at the end of the night. But a big bottle or two would be good but this is my big bottle.

100_0962.jpg

Back