The Beer You.d Most Like To Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Speckled Hen... Nothing I have ever tasted home made comes even close...

How they get that rich malty falvor balanced off so cleanly with the bitterness all packaged up in a perfectly clear beer in a clear bottle - totally beyond me or any of us here Id say.

Must be the water and perhaps their yeast.... I continue to dream.

+1
Anyone tried Old Speckled Hen (Clone) by Five Eyes Brewing Company recipe which is on the recipe data base?
Does it come close?

Fullers London Pride here,

if anyone has something similar / close pls PM me. I would be attempting it via BIAB method.

Cheers,
D80

Have you tried trois monts Charst?

A little duvelish but with something extra and more complex.

yes have had it only once and have vague memories but good ones. supposed to be the benchmark for biere de garde isn't it?
Ive only has this and the Bridge road one and they were quite different. I thought the bridge road one was very dubbelish

Any reading I've done about biere de garde suggests that colour and flavour can vary widely so a benchmark is difficult. However it is a lovely beer and a favourite of mine.

Haven't had the bridge road one but despite them trying, I think they have a long way to go with some of the brews I've had.

I agree about Old Speckled Hen it was my go to beer when I was in the UK,

I also Highly rate their Old Golden Hen, apparently made with Tasmanian galaxy hops. I only got to try it once but it was the one of the best Golden Ale type beers I have had. I think I might try to clone it for summer.

For those interested

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Wired Hopwired IPA, LC Rogers.

+ 1000000

8wired Hopwired IPA damn i love this tongue splitting hopaliceous little number , working on a clone recipe from info i've gleaned by some innocent net stalking of Soren the Head brewer, still working on the recipe.

And Budvar, if i could brew something half as good as this id be as happy as someone who just brewed something half as good as this.

+ 1000000

8wired Hopwired IPA damn i love this tongue splitting hopaliceous little number , working on a clone recipe from info i've gleaned by some innocent net stalking of Soren the Head brewer, still working on the recipe.

And Budvar, if i could brew something half as good as this id be as happy as someone who just brewed something half as good as this.

hey bulp any chance you can post your hopwired findings?

Any reading I've done about biere de garde suggests that colour and flavour can vary widely so a benchmark is difficult. However it is a lovely beer and a favourite of mine.

Haven't had the bridge road one but despite them trying, I think they have a long way to go with some of the brews I've had.

Try their anniversary edition Black Saison if you can get it before it's all gone. Amazing beer, I just ordered my best (probably not very good) guess at the malt bill, and will give it a shot.. A great summer quaffer.

My number one beer I want to clone is a Hobgoblin though. A recipe based on Orfy's is fermenting as I type.

Epic Armageddon/Ballast Point Sculpin/Firestone Walker IPA,
Dupont Cervesia
and
Rodenbach Grand Cru/ Duchess de Bourgogne.

One was too hard to choose...

Plus the 6 month? aging in oak barrels :) Old speckled hen is beautiful.

Ahhh I didn't know they aged it in oak barrels. Thanks for bringing that up. :)

I wish I could get a hold of the original and fresh BrewDog 5am Saint recipe!

right now.. feral - hop hog, or possibly feral - fantapants. even a hybrid of the two. any takers on knocking up a recipe for me ;)

right now.. feral - hop hog, or possibly feral - fantapants. even a hybrid of the two. any takers on knocking up a recipe for me ;)

You have also posted the same sorta question in two old threads, INSTEAD of starting a new thread with the same question. :beerbang:
Good on you for having used the search function instead of starting a new post without having a good read first. :kooi:

I do try. Although possibly it is more annoying to see same/similar questions pop up in 3 old threads than 1 new one? haha

Latest posts

Back