The Beer You.d Most Like To Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have a crack at a double batch of Westmalle tripple in a few weeks. Got the recipe off the homebrew chef's website. Anyone tried it??

87% Pilsner
12% clear belgian candi sugar
Saaz 60min 80g
Hallertau 60min 20g
Saaz 30min 80g
Hallertau 30min 26g

wyeast 3787 Trappist
OG 1.087
36 IBU

Mash schedule:

Acid Rest 35c 15 min
Protein Rest 50c 15 min
Gluten Rest 55c 15 min
Beta Rest 62c 30 min
Full Beta Rest 64c 90 min
Mashout 77c 15 min

Something iv'e never tried before so should be interesting. If it doesn't work out so well I live on the sunshine coast and there will be 2 free kegs of beer going in a couple of months, but I really hope not :icon_cheers:

Fraoch.

My uncle Bob introduced me to the guy behind it years back - a job was discussed but I was young and daft and thought a career in the building industry was better :unsure: I had a few pints while Bob sorted the guys phone system out in the brewery. We ended up taking a 5 litre jug home and enjoyed it that evening :beerbang:

Have the recipe and found a store that sells Heather flowers but can't find Bog Myrtle anywhere...

Old Speckled Hen... Nothing I have ever tasted home made comes even close...

How they get that rich malty falvor balanced off so cleanly with the bitterness all packaged up in a perfectly clear beer in a clear bottle - totally beyond me or any of us here Id say.

Must be the water and perhaps their yeast.... I continue to dream.

AndyTork on here brews Old Speckled hen - had a pint when I bought some kit off him a couple of years back. Nice bloke and his clone is pretty damn close to the real deal - grew up drinking that stuff in the local.

If we're talking english ale Flowers IPA or Castle Eden would be nice beers to have a crack at cloning, or Thwaites Original - used to drink that at college :icon_cheers:

Would love to get some ideas for a Ringwood Brewery Boondoogle, a real hoppy, tasty summer beer.

Ngne Two Captains Double IPA

Jan Halvor Fjeld, winner of the Norwegian home brewing championships 2010 brewed his champion Imperial IPA at Ngne .

Here is his original recipe (for a 20L Braumeister) for the comp. When I put it in Beersmith the numbers didn't match up, so I changed some of the text to reflect his numbers. Oh and Google translate had no idea about some of the stuff from his recipe.

He put LDME in the comp winner!

Recipe: Humlehelvete (Hops Hell) / Pliny goes to Telemark by Jan Halvor Fjelds

Style: Imperial IPA

EBC: 22

IBU: 260 IBUs with Tinseth formula

OG: 1.075

FG: 1.011

ABV: 8.3%

Final Volume 18.0L

Boil Volume 27L Sparge volume 5L.

Boil Time: 95 Mins

Competition Score: 42.66 / 50

Total Grain Weight: 6.47 kg Total Hops: 402.00 g.

---MASH PROCESS------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.30 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter(Thomas Fawcett) Grain 1 66.5 %

0.25 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (26.0 EBC) Grain 2 3.9 %

0.12 kg Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (30.0 EBC) Grain 3 1.9 %

0.10 kg Crystal Malt (120.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.5 %

30.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] - Mash. Hop 5 9.8 IBUs

Note: DME and sugar in the boil make up the missing %

Step Temp Step Time

Mash-in 27 l of water 38.0 C 30 min

52.0 C 5 min

62.0 C 30 min

66.0 C 20 min

70.0 C 15 min

76.0 C 10 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---

Sparge with 5L

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------

Amt Name # %/IBU

1.50 kg Muntons Light DME (7.9 EBC) Dry Extract 23.2 %

0.20 kg Dememera Sugar (3.9 EBC) Sugar 3.1 %

100.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] - Boil 90. Hop 165.5 IBUs

24.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] - Boil 45. Hop 34.1 IBUs

30.00 g Simcoe [11.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 27.9 IBUs

74.00 g Simcoe [11.10 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 3.9 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial [8.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 1.1 IBUs

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------

Wyeast 1056 American Ale (200ml of slurry from an APA)

Primary 14.00 Days at 19.0 C

Secondary 14.00 Days at 19.0 C (dry hopped in secondary?)

Lagered for 8 days at 1.0 C

---NOTES------------------------------------

Filtered: Yes

CO2 added

30g dry hops for 14 days (I think to secondary)

8g dry hops for 5 days (after 9 days) (I think to secondary)

Brewed 26.01.2010

Bottled: 3.03.2010

Based rather closely on Pliny the Elder Clone From Zymurgy # 4, July / August 009

(sorry about the formatting of this post I can't seem to get it correct)

Burt and DrSmurto provided some very helpful input/recipe design in this thread: http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic...=11&t=10282 (thread turns to shit after page 2 though). It didn't work out to be a bang-on clone but it was in the ball-park and more enjoyable (IMO) than the bottle of the original I found a little while after. YMMV

Anyone ever tried the Rhubarb beer that Ruddles used to do?

I remember having a few whilst I was over there (UK) and then it seemed to die out...would love to try cloning that. How would you go about adding rhubarb to a beer you rekon?

Anyone ever tried the Rhubarb beer that Ruddles used to do?

I remember having a few whilst I was over there (UK) and then it seemed to die out...would love to try cloning that. How would you go about adding rhubarb to a beer you rekon?

I recall in Radical Brewing reading about pumpkin beers - cook it and toss it into the mash.
For rhubarb why not stew it and toss that into the mash?

If this is a question of having a cloned beer on the first attempt, I've always been interested to know what the original VB tasted like, before it was turned into what it is today.

If it is a case of "what would you spend time and effort into cloning", I wouldn't bother, just go and buy some - life's to short and there are too many interesting things to do with brewing to keep flogging out a clone. May as well go work in a brewery.

Cheers

I wouldn't bother, just go and buy some

That way I see it there are some beers that are damn expensive and damn nice. If you could knock out a 20 litre batch of that beer for the price of buying two stubbies, then surely cloning this beer makes sense? Particularly if you've always wanted to be able to drink more of it but couldn't afford it.

For that reason I'd never get hung up on trying to clone something that's cheap and available. But to truly clone a really good trappist beer for example would be awesome.

DOGFISH HEAD PALO SANTO MORAN

12% ABV
50 IBUs

American brown ale aged in Palo Santo Wood Barrels.

Seriously one of the best beers I've ever had. F. all you haters ;)

palo-santo-marron.png

DFH Palo Santo

Back