The Australian National Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I missed the rooftop meeting, I was up there at 3pm, but had a beer or two with the rook at the insignia.Then I maned a one man assault on the Transport hotel.I met a nice bar maid and she slipped me the accasional half priced pints.The walk back to the hotel was hard and I was attacked by a India food joint that sold me some somosas.Off today to have a wonder around CBD looking for free WIFI ?I believe its at Federation square.This 1 hour session at the hotel is $5.00.
GB

Off today to have a wonder around CBD looking for free WIFI ?I believe its at Federation square.This 1 hour session at the hotel is $5.00.
GB

I was able to find a couple of open access points at the Pensione. There is heaps of free/open wifi around he city.

Currently at the judging session. About to wrap up and head out for lunch/tour.

Micro tour is enroute to transport for anyone that wants to meet up.

Better, nokia e71. In the pale ale presentation at the moment. Conference is great so far. Organisers have done a stellar job.

Remember everyone. What happened at club night stays at club night!

A little lost with out net access but I finally found this joint on Latrobe St.

Must say that so far I have put a number of names to faces now. Great day yesterday and last night. That lot from W.A, what a roudy bunch of bastards but I will say the rocket fuel IPA that was available hit the spot in more ways than one. Met this funny bloke that was carrying a very foul stench and wears a funny bloody hat :icon_vomit: . Bconnery from memory. Great walk home after the club night, eneded up this side ally and walked into a room with long silver poles in it had what looked like monkeys hanging from them with money strapped to them :eek: . Honestly its all a bit of a blur, even now. Shit is that the time better crack off to the Angis

BYB

Would love to be there with guys but unfortunatly I am stuck in sunny Florida drinking SNPA :icon_drunk:

cheers

Darren

It's all done now. The whole things was great. Awesome job by the committee and sponsors. Will get some photos online in the next day or so. Need to sleep for at least 24 hours to recover.

I don't want to rub it in but if you didn't make it you really missed out and you better go next time. I and I'm sure many others will post some details soon.

Unofficial people's choice award for the ANHC photo ID.

LES_ANHC_ID.JPG

Home now. Need brekky. Having a no-brew day although a Roggenbier was planned. May do some bottling/ pitching today, though, when energy has replenished.

Beeerz-ah
Les

*Edit - P.S. The jury is still out on no-chill after the ANHC

View attachment 22017

Home now. Need brekky. Having a no-brew day although a Roggenbier was planned. May do some bottling/ pitching today, though, when energy has replenished.

Beeerz-ah
Les

Looks like that was taken before The Transport staircase trip ;)

BYB

Would love to be there with guys but unfortunatly I am stuck in sunny Florida drinking SNPA :icon_drunk:

cheers

Darren

Unfortunately ?........Don't fool yourself Mr Depresso, one of the main topics of discussion was the fact that we were all very glad that you weren't there. We much preferred to have enjoyed ourselves :lol:
Besides. I don't think you would have enjoyed the resulting flight from the first floor balcony the first time you opened your mouth and identified yourself.
Hey, here's a thought......why don't you stay in sunny florida. Adelaide/Australia would be better off without you :lol:

View attachment 22017

Beeerz-ah
Les

Sh!te Les,

Did you invite all your rello's to come along as well or was there some sort of yeast disaster, where a bit of yourself fell into the starter & out popped a whole bunch of Les clones.

I sounds like those that survived had a great time. Hopefully we'll still have an economy in 12 months time & more HAG's will make the trip.

David.

Unfortunately ?........Don't fool yourself Mr Depresso, one of the main topics of discussion was the fact that we were all very glad that you weren't there.

Gee, I must of missed that... I thought the conference, like this forum, was a place for discussing beer... not personal vendettas. Especially from people hiding behind a forum alias'...
:rolleyes:

Edit:
BTW. The conference was fantastic, interesting discussions, good beers, great food (food paring dinner was amazing). Thanks to the organisers!

Unfortunately ?........Don't fool yourself Mr Depresso, one of the main topics of discussion was the fact that we were all very glad that you weren't there. We much preferred to have enjoyed ourselves :lol:
Besides. I don't think you would have enjoyed the resulting flight from the first floor balcony the first time you opened your mouth and identified yourself.
Hey, here's a thought......why don't you stay in sunny florida. Adelaide/Australia would be better off without you :lol:
Fergoodness sakes, leave him alone while he's happy and laughing with us. :lol:

David,...as for my ID photo, I was telling anyone who asked (and a few who didn't) that I gave all the Hunter guys a makeover and you all look real sexy now! :lol:

Geoff, just to make sure that I stand out from the crowd now, I did some facial remodelling on the bar floor at Transport. The ironic thing was that I could no longer achieve any "transport" from the place once I was a bloody mess. Go figure!

Now that I have some energy, I'd like to acknowledge all the people whose names I remember, and many I may recall later.
The locals are a top bunch. A bit too good in the brewing knowledge (mind you), but they've been at it for a while. I had several conversations with Mark Hibberd (who also liked my ID photo), AndyD, Colin Penrose, Gwyn (the wee sexy *******), the Hunter guys who came along, old mates from Sydney (too numerous to be mentioned individually), some big (and noisy) ******* from Tuross Head, John Palmer, Jamil (there is only one Jamil), Chris White, Jess Caudill (someone will correct any spelling, I trust), local legends (both Vic club presenter and beer dinner brewers - can I hear an "Oh, Yeah!") and national legends including Paul Mercurio (nice firm handshake, Paul), Mick Jontef and Phil Sexton (who lost a lot of cred when he told us that wine tastes better than beer - as if that's true; and no one took the bait and chipped him). Also the Canberra club guys and the Qld guys. I know what happens on club night stays n club night, but I think it's acceptable to acknowledge the effort (both brewing and costuming) for the WA crew. Thanks, Anthony for the bottle of Dubbel too, or is that Dubbel two?

All in all, a great time with a great bunch of people. I'd do it again, but will prob never go back to Transport (ha ha).

(*Edit) A bit odd that the Cooper family weren't represented, either in keg form or other homebrewing product. Did they want to be involved, overlooked (it can happen), or not relevant to the crew. I'm sure that they could have been quite informative in some of the moderated discussions, esp as John Palmer said that a lot of the US brew scene is about full boil extract and hops.

I wished I'd thought to ask Mick Jontef and Phil Sexton what they think of BUL (Brewed Under Licence) beers, and if they agreed with each other. There might have been a point of commonality.

(*Edit) A bit odd that the Cooper family weren't represented, either in keg form or other homebrewing product. Did they want to be involved, overlooked (it can happen), or not relevant to the crew. I'm sure that they could have been quite informative in some of the moderated discussions, esp as John Palmer said that a lot of the US brew scene is about full boil extract and hops.

Yeah - We approach coopers a couple of times, but they couldn't be a part of it this year. They did, however, send along a keg of Sparkling Ale for Tony Wheeler's presentation.

Thanks for being there everyone. We had a ball putting it on for you and are stoked that you had a great time...

Now... I'm going to go sleep for a couple of months bear style :)

Cheers!!!!

Andyd

Back