The Australian National Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry needs to reserve a table near the front - save on wear and tear on the legs if as usual prizes are in the offing.

Plus 1 on the OB atble

P1

WOO! it all looks great!

Andy, just a question , what will we need cash for? is lunch dinner and beer included in the price? I couldnt find a specific mention of it anywere.

Getting excited! program looks great and what a selection of beers! and a fair few i have not tried!!

Lunch and beer at the conference venue are included. Dinner's included if you're going to club night or (of course) to any of the dinners, and beer is available there courtesy of our sponsors and homebrew clubs.

The only time you're likely to need to pay will be for dinner on Thursday night after the tour, and for beers that night.

Andy

Goddam I wish I was going to this!!! Had it penciled in, permission from the wife, accomodation teed up, was even going to do a short presentation and then bloody life got in the way!!!

Ah, well, I'll be back in Vic next year so its a 99% chance I'll be there then. Have fun all those lucky enough to be going, hope its an awesome experience.

I'm thinking of you blokes, it's for my girl friends old man. That weekend I plan to ask him if it's ok to ask her that question.(the next day)

Sit him with Barry, Smudge and myself and we'll talk you up so high, he'll be begging you to marry his daughter. : :)

We'll only take half of the dowry he'll pay you as renumeration. :D

Barry needs to reserve a table near the front - save on wear and tear on the legs if as usual prizes are in the offing

If I sneek one of his when he toddles off to the toilet I can claim it as my own ..... My Precious !!!!

Cheers andy!
Bloody hell you cant argue with that!

I cant wait!

any melborintes wanna suggest a pub or 2 for us to hang out in thursday arvo ?

Troydo

Is there something in Melbourne like the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Adelaide. Not just a pub that sells top class beer, but where the bar staff have knowledge about the beer they sell as well.

BYB

Is there something in Melbourne like the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Adelaide. Not just a pub that sells top class beer, but where the bar staff have knowledge about the beer they sell as well.

BYB

Probably, I reckon we'll find out about it late Saturday night ! But with all us smartarses in town, why do we need knowledgable bar staff ? We propbably know heaps more than them anyway. What we need is good looking barwenches ... (he says in a revoltingly sexist way)

Seeing we'll all be ending up at Federation Square at 6.30pm Thursday, I'm guessing we don't want to travel too far away from the city. I know there is a James Squire Pumphouse (Russell Street ?) that I visited last year. The yuppie bar Young & Jackson at least had some St Arnau on tap plus a few other craft brews then too. I guess where the crew will meet will also depend on what time people arrive in town.

Probably, I reckon we'll find out about it late Saturday night ! But with all us smartarses in town, why do we need knowledgable bar staff ? We propbably know heaps more than them anyway. What we need is good looking barwenches ... (he says in a revoltingly sexist way)

Seeing we'll all be ending up at Federation Square at 6.30pm Thursday, I'm guessing we don't want to travel too far away from the city. I know there is a James Squire Pumphouse (Russell Street ?) that I visited last year. The yuppie bar Young & Jackson at least had some St Arnau on tap plus a few other craft brews then too. I guess where the crew will meet will also depend on what time people arrive in town.

First went to the Y&J many years ago, thats when they still had a picture bill board of Chloe hanging outside. Don't really rate ye old Y&J for a hang out. But it does have some interesting history.
Will be visiting the James Squire Ale House if I have my way. Normally travel to melbourne with a group of non beer drinkers so this time round I will be with beer drinkers.
Fed Square sounds interesting.

BYB

First went to the Y&J many years ago, thats when they still had a picture bill board of Chloe hanging outside. Don't really rate ye old Y&J for a hang out. But it does have some interesting history.
Will be visiting the James Squire Ale House if I have my way. Normally travel to melbourne with a group of non beer drinkers so this time round I will be with beer drinkers.
Fed Square sounds interesting.

BYB

Well I'm planning to head out to the Royston (which is a short tram ride away from the city) for a bit before getting back to Transport at Fed square to meet up with the brewery tour.

Others places of interest are Lamb's go Barr and the Normandy Hotel (which was recently been bought out by Jamesons Brewery) which are around the Fitzroy area.

There is also the Taphouse down St Kilda way that has quite a lot of the micro's on tap.

Mrs Parma also has a lot micro's on tap and is located in the city.

Careful if you go to the Y & J. Went there with some mates and were in Chloe's bar where smoking is permitted. Mate got out a cigar and we got booted out <_< cos apparently cigarettes are ok but cigars are not. WTF???

Mrs Parma also has a lot micro's on tap and is located in the city.
Know her and her five daughters well.

Chris, its not about where we can go (thanks for the references .. they are mostly just places and names to us foreigners) - we are asking .... WHERE are we going TO !

let's assume its about 4.00pm Thursday, I finally get in town after a dozen hour drive, I'm ready for a few before we hit Federation Square, I want it full of AHB types attending the conference .. where do I (we .. including all these other interstaters with no idea) go .... where will we go ???

I would like ONE Victorian to say to me. You know what, Fatgodzilla, I reckon come 4.00pm on Thursday, you and every other AHBer going to the ANHC should be at ............................... (Please fill in the missing words) cos it will have good beer and and we can all say G'day.

And the first bugger that recommends that we all go to Werribee or Broadmeadows will face me ............................. :ph34r: ................................. :D

I reckon come 4.00pm on Thursday, you and every other AHBer going to the ANHC should be at ............................... (Please fill in the missing words) cos it will have good beer and and we can all say G'day.
+1

I want to meet an overweight Godzilla and all the other AHBers before we meet up with the guys from the tour... and I want some decent drinks while we're at it. So let's make a determination. Which in that list is the closest to Federation Square, and/or the least effort to move from while still having a good selection of beers?

BYB

Your two best bets are [post="0"]The Local Taphouse [/post]in East St Kilda and [post="0"]The Royston [/post]in Richmond.

They both serve good quality beers & staff generally know what they are talking about.

I assume your going on the micro tour which is finishing at [post="0"]The Normandy [/post]anyway.
Mrs Parmas has a few decent beers on tap and most of the Victorian micros in bottles, although some may be a bit old. Cookie & Transport can both be a bit hit or miss, both have a big bottle selection but only have one guest tap but it's usually a Victorian micro or uncommon (on tap) import.

Lambs Go isn't worth going out of your way for with the other options Melbourne now has.

[post="0"]Mrs Parmas [/post]would be my pick if your short on time as ******* about with public transport when you don't know where your going can be a real time drainer. James Squire Brewhouse & Cookie are also close by.

Edit: Meant in reply to Bonj.

[post="0"]Mrs Parmas [/post]would be my pick if your short on time as ******* about with public transport when you don't know where your going can be a real time drainer. James Squire Brewhouse & Cookie are also close by.

Edit: Meant in reply to Bonj.

I agree Mrs Parmas would be the go in regards to logistics etc.

I'm sure I could squeeze that in between The Royston and where ever the dinner is going to be.

Actually on that point does anyone know where the dinner is supposed to be?

The email for the brewery tour mentions the Normandy Hotel, where as the ANHC website has it as Transport bar.

I agree Mrs Parmas would be the go in regards to logistics etc.

I'm sure I could squeeze that in between The Royston and where ever the dinner is going to be.

Actually on that point does anyone know where the dinner is supposed to be?

The email for the brewery tour mentions the Normandy Hotel, where as the ANHC website has it as Transport bar.
I wondered about the two different venues for Thursday night too. I thought perhaps they were deliberately trying to keep us separate :)

+1

I want to meet an overweight Godzilla and all the other AHBers before we meet up with the guys from the tour... and I want some decent drinks while we're at it. So let's make a determination. Which in that list is the closest to Federation Square, and/or the least effort to move from while still having a good selection of beers?

+2

OK I will take the bull by the horns. I/we fly in early Thursday morning and come rain or shine I will be at the Young and Jackson at 4pm!!! Its a land mark thats easy to find (well for me anyway) Be there or be square. Not sure what condition we will be in. Will have the AHB logo stuck to my shirt and maybe a comotosed kiwi somewhere in the distance (Dom maybe :lol: ). So there you have it!! What about it.
May head out to the Royston or down to St Kilda to the Taphouse before hand. Not doing the brewery tour.
BYB

+2
maybe a comotosed kiwi somewhere in the distance (Dom maybe :lol: ).
BYB

I think not old man ...:lol: .....I reckon you're more likely to fall by the wayside first :lol: .....
................................................................................
...THAT'S if we survive the Tiger Airways flight (or even manage to catch the flight properly considering that there have now been 5 yes 5 changes to the flight itinerary since I booked the ticket!!!!..........I'll never book a flight with them again..... <_<

Back