Tether: END OF - BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G_T_G said:
When you say "did with only late additions" do you mean the only hops added to brew where in the last 20 minutes or so?
What was your HOP schedule for the latest successful brew?
That is correct. schedule as follows:

5gm neslon @ 20
16g nelson @ 10
30g nelson @ 1

My theory is that after waiting an hour for settling and whirlpool, this turned into the equivalent of one 'early' bitterness addition.

In future I'll only no-chill single hop addition brews.

I use a hopsock and remove it after boiling. For hop additions at or after flame out, i empty the hop sock and drop in the aroma hops for 10mins. You could use this method for no-chilling too.

My understanding is that even if you remove the hop material using a hopsock, once the hops hit the hot water the oils will dissipate into the hot wort and will therefore continue to add bitterness beyond the removal of the remaining vegetative matter...this bittering effect will stop once you cool the wort,...so when no chilling, even a 5 minute addition will act like a 60 min addition (by which time it has pretty much contibuted its maximum bitterness) as it takes ages for the wort to sufficently cool.

It could me the ns hops itself that you dont like...as others have said it can be in your face...

Are you having the same problem using other hops?

It could me the ns hops itself that you dont like...as others have said it can be in your face...

Yeah I was getting it with a lot of different beers. I narrowed it down to late hop additions combined with no chilling.

I've had a bad ass IIPA in the fermenter for the last 4 days which I used an immersion chiller to cool that tastes very promising. It's a recipe that I have previously had the problem with so should be a good comparison.

Yeah I was getting it with a lot of different beers. I narrowed it down to late hop additions combined with no chilling.

I've had a bad ass IIPA in the fermenter for the last 4 days which I used an immersion chiller to cool that tastes very promising. It's a recipe that I have previously had the problem with so should be a good comparison.

My experience is that 10-15min is the latest hop addition you can manage with no-chill. I do this by adding hops straight to the empty cube then hot wort is poured over the top. Anything later than 10-15min needs to be by the argon method or dry hopped.

I gave up on the argon method for most beers, mainly due to difficulty getting the wort out of large quantities of hops in a small plunger. Alternately, just throw the hops in with the wort. (Sure to get some passionate responses, but I couldn't taste the difference fermenting on hops and/or trub or not)

Also, if you are using BrewMate, check the BU:GU ratio (0.6-0.8 as a ballpark) which gives the balance of bitterness and sweetness.

So the results are in (almost). I've just, yesterday, set the old keezer to crash chill mode on my DIPA. This is the first brew I've done with the new immersion chiller. Apart from the 60 minute bittering addition, it had a 10 minute addition of about 150g.

Just had a sneaky taste and TA DA! no unwanted bitterness. I'm super stoked! I'll let it chill until thursday then its keg and carb time ready for friday night.

Thanks again to all who chimed in on this thread. I never would have fixed it without you :kooi:

And.... The result. Can't see too much bitterness there. Bit cloudy but it's just been 'Ross method'ed

Tastes good

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1390295978.210362.jpg

Edit: obviously I know you can't see bitterness

nice job. glad to hear you resolved it... now think of all those great beers to come. :)

:beerbang:

Back