Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And these look like the options for the better probe for HLT etc...

NX6P.jpg

NY6P.jpg

M

I will make an enquiry.... but, for mash and fridge control, I think we are already on the right track.

dreamboat

Rob,

I agree - for mash and fridge, the supplied are the ducks nutz! I am a little concerned about HLT use though for longer periods of time. I plan to use my HLT as a temp controlled system in the preserving of fruit also, which would mean long periods of exposure to near boiling water - thats where my concern is coming from :D

M

Thanks Matt & Rob,

Sounds like it'll probably do for my HLT, but I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Andy

Hi guys, apart from the 'ol frozen coke or milk bottles, is there a more up-to-date method of temp control, maybe in the form of a thermostat or something along those lines?
I've read the idea of using a Aquarium thermo but wasnt sure if this was the only tried & tested method.
Looking for something relatively cheap at this stage, if not then I'll just stick to the coke bottle method for now!

Not bad price for the dixxel, i went to the local dealer and wanted $140 for the thing, and they wondered why i said bugga that. Still looking

I've bought Omron E5CS temperature controllers off ebay for as little as $36. They are simple to use like the Dixell on the interface-ie. don't need complex programming, just set the temp and go. Given they don't have a 10amp relay (usually a 3A relay, if you need more you will need to wire a second relay rated for 10amps) and you need a thermocouple ($12 @ Jaycar) but they still come in pretty cheap.

Other options involve getting ones that power a solid state relay. You can buy the SSR relays for about $22+postage.

Hey Justin.

Just out of curiousity, how hard/expensive is it to buy thermocouple wire? eg; K-type Chromel / Alumel?

Would it be that difficult to make your own probes this way? :unsure:

I could be running off on a tangent here though.

I've used the Jaycar ones and found that the cheaper one went on the fritz after a couple of months. The metal 5 inch probe isn't too bad though.

Warren -

Well, I haven't had extensive use of the Jaycar ones yet so can't speak to their quality. Initially they seem ok. I've been using the SS probe ones but it's only early days here at the moment with these controllers and thermocouples.

I did look into buying thermocouple extension wire but I think it's a little bit costly (because you have to buy a fair bit of it eg 10m roll). Have a look at RS Components and see what they have, I know they have some options (I think it's www.rscomponents.com.au or maybe www.rsaustralia.com.au or something, maybe try google if they don't work).

I was thinking about buying some extensions and connectors so I could plug in and unplug my controllers to the thermocouple for storage. I think I'll just make the thermowells on the vessels easy enough to remove the thermocouple for storage rather than buy the connectors and extension now.

Cheers, Justin

Hey guys,

I'm keen on getting two of the Dixell Temp controllers! Is there any one else out there interested in putting togeather another bulk buy? I'm sure if we could get a few more takers another order would be viable. Don't know what the minimum order would be but the two I am interested in will be a start.

Cheers,

Chilled

Warren,
Thermocouples:
RS Components
Farnell

Neither of these two are very cheap, they're the sort of company that supplies other companies the stuff they need right now, at whatever cost.
But their range is good.
Farnell is usually the cheaper/better of the two, but their website sucks.
RS is sometimes cheaper, their website is easier to navigate thru the catalogue.

Simo

this might help a few guys who are after thermocouples. I've bought from this place before. They'll make anything you like in any dimension and sensor type you like.

Industrial Thermocouple supplies

I got some 6mm X 100mm s/s blind tube and put my own sensor into it. Maybe another option for some.

VL.

:chug:
Hi guys
Helios at Underwood in Brisbane make temp probes and heating elements in 316 Stainless to your own requirements.
I had a K type probe and an element made. the probe cost $75.00 and it is extremely accurate 07 3341 5222.
Cheers Altstart

Jagerbrau,

How many of the units are you interested in. Can we put you down for one? :super:

Chilled

I reckon a nominal order of 6 ... as I have said before, I don't want to do this once a week for the rest of my days.

But, really any qty is ok, and then maybe a nominal couple of months before I do it all again!

Rob

Dreamboat,

I appreciate the effort you go to in getting these units. It is a true sign of commitment to your hobby when you go out of your way to help others for no reward, other than the gratitude of those you have helped!! Thanks mate. :beerbang:
If jagerbrau is up for one we are half way there!
Any other takers?

Chilled

Chilled, I'd be interested in one depending on the price. As I missed the "Dream" boat last time.
cheers

Browndog

dreamboat said:
For $90 each, I can get as many or as few as are required. Just a bit of stuffing around for me to pick up and one a week for the rest of my life.

Browndog,

I am assuming that this price is still current.
Dreamboat correct me if I'm wrong.

Chilled

As far as I know, $90 is still the current price....
Can't see that it would have changed in the last couple of months.

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back