Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All money has now been received for the controllers, so this order is now closed. I should get the units late this week or very early next week, so will be aiming to get them out the door around this time next week.
I still need adresses from the following (I think):
MAH
FNQBunyip
Goat
Wally

Cheers
dreamboat

Hi all,
Temp controllers are now all sent, and some of you may see them in todays post :)

dreamboat

Many thanks Dreamboat, just picked mine up from the post office.

cheers

nifty

Thanks Dreamboat , what a great place this is . shoping and beer talk all in one place ...
Cheers

cheers rob i got mine the other day just have to hook it up. the other ones working quite well

Thanks Rob - Mine arrived Thursday...

Andy

Hi guys,

I have got one of these from the initial bulk buy (although I still haven't managed to pick it up yet, so Rob is likley to either kill me or charge be a storage release fee :D - really, I hope to get out your way soon Rob!)

Anyway - sitting around christmas morning, I've been thinking about this, and think I can use it for both heating (HLT) and cooling (beer fridge) by using a switch to change the output type. Does this sound reasonable?

I guess it might be worthwhile trying to pick up another probe, so I don't have to completely rip everything else apart when I want to use it - 99% of the time it would be on the fridge, but every now and again on the HLT.

Thoughts, comments anyone?

I'd have a couple of lights on the box, so I could easily see if its in cooling (blue) or heating (red) mode....

M

Don't need a switch or anything like that....
You can just press a few buttons to change the system from a cooling to a heating cycle.

The term you are looking for is demurrage - can be quite expensive I understand.... ;)

dreamboat

I think that, after all this to & fro (searches included), that a old bloke like me would be better off just getting the Adloheat THF 0-40 & saving a lot of hassles with the other brands mentioned.
No-brainers have a lot to recommend themselves to the uninitiated. ;)

:beer:

dreamboat said:
For $90 each, I can get as many or as few as are required. Just a bit of stuffing around for me to pick up and one a week for the rest of my life.
If there is interest in some more, maybe another mini-bilk-buy... and with the interest, we could close up in a week, and still get half a dozen or more to take care of those with interest at this time, then I won't have to do it again for another month or two...

dreamboat
[post="89044"][/post]​

Dreamboat:
I know it is not a couple of months yet :( , but I have just joined the forum & have only now seen this posting. If you are in for another order put me down for two (2).

Cheers

I picked up my thermo from Rob yesterday - awesome stuff - looks pretty easy to set up. I got the tour of the brewery, I didn't get charged demurrage ( :D) and he even let me illegally use his hose to wash dog vomit off the back of my ute! Thanks Rob!

Matt

Wiring....

I'm just going through the instructions and sorting out the wiring for it. It looks pretty easy, but I thought I'd explain what I think I'm doing before I do it - I will be getting this checked by a sparky before I use it!

So as I understand it (and this is my read, don't try this at home, no care responsibilty etc etc)

AC power from male plug (which obviously goes into a powerpoint!) - Active to pin 7, neutral to pin 8. Earth to earth of female plug (for the fridge plugging in)

Active jumpers from pin 7 to pin 4 to give the active for the apliance being plugged in. Pin 5 (other side of the thermo's switch) then goes to the active on the female plug.

Neutral for the female plug connects straight from pin 8.

The probe connects to 11 and 12 - I assume there is no polarity here?

So does this sound the gear?

Matt

TidalPete, my Th 40 is working a treat - just plug and play!! The play part is adjusting to get the temp to where you want it and I am sure after a couple of ferments I will have it dialled in with more accuracy. But for now it is working great!

Thanks to Rob for organising the bulk buy on these - its awesome! I may not have a march pump, but "Real brewers use dixel thermostats" :D

Wiring was a cinch.

Dixel temp controller $85.00
Project box $9.92
Extension lead $2.98
Nylon cable glands $4.94

IMG_8635small.jpg

Cutting holes for the controller and leads $free
Wiring the beast $free

IMG_8637small.jpg

Having a temp controlled keg fridge

PRICELESS!!

IMG_8647small.jpg

And of course I had to show of my new $50 4 ring 52MJ burner :D

The brewery cam a long way today :D

Matt

Has anyone found a source of probes that will happily sit submerged in the HLT or Mash Tun?

The one that came with the unit just doesn't look particularly watertight.

Andy

Andy,

Back in posts 70 and 71 Rob said:

Post 70
<QUOTE>
Confirmation is in that the probe (NTC Type) supplied with the controller is good for being submerged, operating range up to 110C. It is an encapsulated plastic blob on the end of the wire. IIRC the wire length is around 1-1.5m.
Apparently the older metal type (which I have been using) is not suitable for submerging (but I have some heat shrink around the joint).
</QUOTE>

Post 71
<QUOTE>
Look through this link, for info in English on the Dixell gear.
Included here is the info on the probes, while I am not 100% on which is the standard probe, look at the list of NTC type probes, and one of the first two on the list look like the one which is included, though the link to details of the first type (N6N) is broke. Probes all seem to be rated to 105 or 110C, with IP67 rating which is protection against dust, and protected against submersion between 15cm and 1m.
Looks ideal for most brewing applications, but I would not use in the boiler.
http://www.thermofrostcryo.co.uk/home/dixell.html
</QUOTE>

That all said, I'd love a nice stainless guarenteed waterproof (not resistant) probe for this baby for use in the HLT.

M

OK - just did some looking. Looks like the standard probe is IP67, which means

Totally protected against dust (6)
Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m (7)

What we want is the next probe up which is IP68

Totally protected against dust (6)
Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure (8)

There are four Dixell probes in this catogory:

NX6P
Inox steel cap, IP68, for ICHILL

NY6P
Inox steel cap, IP68, for ICHILL

NY6PJ
Inox steel cap, IP68, with 2 poles connector, for ICHILL

NS6SJ
Inox steel cap, IP68, with 2 poles connector, for ICHILL

I wonder if Rob (Dreamboat) can ask the supplier if any of these will work with our units?

Matt

Back