Temp Used For C02 Levels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crells

Reaction score
I am currently planning on bulk priming my next batch. My question is what temperature do you take into account for working out the c02 levels. Is it the fermenting temp or the temp of the beer when you bottle ?

Eg. Beer fermented @ 10deg but now in cc @ 2deg.

crells said:
I am currently planning on bulk priming my next batch. My question is what temperature do you take into account for working out the c02 levels. Is it the fermenting temp or the temp of the beer when you bottle ?

[post="92103"][/post]​

G'day crells,

I take into account the temp when I bottle. It is very easy to overcarbonate a cold beer at bottling, so take that into account :)

Shawn.

Gough said:
crells said:

[post="92103"][/post]​

G'day crells,

I take into account the temp when I bottle. It is very easy to overcarbonate a cold beer at bottling, so take that into account :)

Shawn.
[post="92113"][/post]​

True. I've never had any luck trying to get carbonation levels right with cold beer, they always seem to be over-gassed. Easier to let it come to room temperature and then bottle it.

Am I the only one who is confused here?

Surely the carbonation level that matters is the one at serving temperature? It shouldn't matter what temp the beer is at when you bottle it!

It is my understanding that the temp at bottling matters because fermented beer already contains a level of c02 in it (which is depends on the temperature of the beer). Depending on what this level is will change the amount of priming sugar required to reach a certain c02 level in the bottle.

WG

Shawn and Rob are talking about the level of CO2 dissolved in cold beer. In other words you have to either warm the beer up before bottling or compensate with less priming sugar.

Warren -

Well, some of us neanderthals are still bottling even after a long time brewing - in my case I just don't have the space or the money for another fridge and a keg system... :( I learnt the hard way a few years ago about bottling straight from the lager fridge. No matter what I did the bottles foamed like anything on bottling when cold (2 degrees or so), and given that I hadn't adjusted my priming rate I then had ice creams every time I cracked a bottle of that brew <_< I only did it once, and like I said, it was a few years ago. So from both a theoretical and a personal experience perspective I'd recommend getting your beers at least to a cool room temp before bottling. Just makes life easier :) It can be done cold but you need to really do your sums priming sugar-wise, and be prepared for some foaming probs in my experience.

Good luck,

Shawn.

Yep, it makes perfect sense, there will be quite a lot of dissolved gas at icy lager temps.

On a personal level, I had a keg fridge WAY before I had a fermenting fridge. Guesss that says something about me as a brewer... :p

Gough said:
Well, some of us neanderthals are still bottling
[post="92138"][/post]​

Must explain why you like Altbiers Shawn. Neanderthal man was first unearthed in the Neander Valley near Dusseldorf IIRC. :lol: :beerbang:

Scuse the light hijack. :D

Warren -

Latest posts

Back