Temp./altitude Equation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilArge

Reaction score
Apologies if I have unintentionally raised an issue that has been been dealt with elsewhere in these fora (I did a quick check), but can anyone tell me what adjustments (if any) have to be made to mashing temps or the thermometer when brewing at different altitudes? I live in Armidale which is c. 1000 metres above sea level. I know that water boils at a lower temp. than normal (i.e. 100C) up here but does that mean that I need to change the measured temp. of my mash water additions, etc.? Probably a dumb question, but there you have it.... :(

Cheers

ToG

Apologies if I have unintentionally raised an issue that has been been dealt with elsewhere in these fora (I did a quick check), but can anyone tell me what adjustments (if any) have to be made to mashing temps or the thermometer when brewing at different altitudes? I live in Armidale which is c. 1000 metres above sea level. I know that water boils at a lower temp. than normal (i.e. 100C) up here but does that mean that I need to change the measured temp. of my mash water additions, etc.? Probably a dumb question, but there you have it.... :(

Cheers

ToG

At an elevation of 3000 ft pure water boils at 97 Deg C. But as wort normally boils a few degree higer (due to the sugars) there is not much to worry about.

For mashing - the measured temperature is the temperature of the water, mash etc so no adjustments needed.

HTH,
Dave

I'll leave a definitive answer for those who have thought about physical chemistry in the last 20 years (for me it's a happily receding memory), but....

Actually, the slightly lowered boiling point probably has an advantage in as much as it's going to make it harder to extract tannins, which is a good thing. On the other hand, it may mean your boil is going to be less effective - less hop isomerization.

Interesting thought: would there be any benefit from doing a separate small (e.g. 3-5L) boil with some hops in the pressure cooker? Would you get better hop utilization?

Now all the experts who actually know what they're talking about can weigh in. ;-)

T.

At an elevation of 3000 ft pure water boils at 97 Deg C. But as wort normally boils a few degree higer (due to the sugars) there is not much to worry about.

For mashing - the measured temperature is the temperature of the water, mash etc so no adjustments needed.

HTH,
Dave

Thanks Dave - sounds very sensible when you think about it but I just thought that I should ask in case I was making a Haymes of my mashing...

Cheers

Neil

ToG

TOG, no two systems and all that stuff, don't sweat it. Make beer, after a few you will know which way to adjust your mash temps no matter what the thermometer says. As for the boil well you can adjust boil length to adjust for evap or isomerisation.

Screwy

TOG, no two systems and all that stuff, don't sweat it. Make beer, after a few you will know which way to adjust your mash temps no matter what the thermometer says. As for the boil well you can adjust boil length to adjust for evap or isomerisation.

Screwy

Thanks Screwy - fair advice. Even though I have been far from impressed with my bumbling brewing process and dead ordinary efficiency over the past few brews, the beers have been very noice and by far the best that I have made. The thought just occurred to me that maybe all my problems could be sheeted home to lack of temp. calibration but I can see that that is a furphy. I did play around with my trusty ol' thermometer today and it registers exactly zero when put in the freezer and 95C when put in boiling water, so we soldier on...

Slainte

Neil

ToG

Latest posts

Back