Techni Ice Mash Tun 40l Or 60l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Wilson

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the process of moving from BIAB to 3V and have settled on the Techni Ice esky for my MLT. I know a few of you guys run with these and would appreciate your comments on what size I should go for.

I'll be running a keggle as my e-HLT and one of Ross's 70L pots as a BK (gas fired).

I'm thinking the 60L esky would fit the bill but the other option would be the 40L.

So what do you guys think??

Cheers

Mr W

Definitely go the 60L.
All your other gear is big enough to do big beers or double batches. Don't want your tun to be the piece that stops you doing it.
Before you say you'll never do doubles, that is what we all say. ;)

Yeah.... definitely go 60L. I bought one online a couple of months ago and haven't regretted it. They hold temp really well too!

Definitely go the 60L.
All your other gear is big enough to do big beers or double batches. Don't want your tun to be the piece that stops you doing it.
Before you say you'll never do doubles, that is what we all say. ;)

That's what I was thinking.

And once I get my processes down I'll definitely go for doubles!!

I suppose I wanted to check that the 60L wasn't too big for single batches.

That's what I was thinking.

And once I get my processes down I'll definitely go for doubles!!

I suppose I wanted to check that the 60L wasn't too big for single batches.
i got an 80ltr it was cheaper on ebay than a 60 (from the store that makes it)
and i do 20-30ltr batches no dramas what so ever just preheat the esky for
10min first with the strike water, you may have to recuriculate it a couple of
times

Deff an 80L if you plan on doing doubles, this will give a good size to do a mash out & also be able to brew to the higher abv end when needed. I plan to get an 80L soon and will also keep my 25L esky for trial single batches. An 80L on the techni ice site is $164

Deff an 80L if you plan on doing doubles, this will give a good size to do a mash out & also be able to brew to the higher abv end when needed. I plan to get an 80L soon and will also keep my 25L esky for trial single batches. An 80L on the techni ice site is $164

Might need to check out the 80L jobbies then.
Cheers for the help guys.

Depends on how you plan to sparge MW. The closer to continuous your sparge becomes, the less volume you need in your mash tun.

So for instance, a single infusion beer and a fly sparge.... The volume of the esky only needs to be a few liters more than the volume of the actual mash.

But at the other end of the scale a "no sparge" or if you like, single run-off batch sparge where you mix all your sparge water in at the end and then just run it all off in one go... You need to be able to fit everything in all at once like a biab. The more "batches" you do, the closer it becomes to continuous and the less volume you need.

dont discount the 70L to guys. I have the 60 and 70L. plus the techni ice packs are awesome for chilling beer if you rotate out often enough

Depends on how you plan to sparge MW. The closer to continuous your sparge becomes, the less volume you need in your mash tun.

So for instance, a single infusion beer and a fly sparge.... The volume of the esky only needs to be a few liters more than the volume of the actual mash.

But at the other end of the scale a "no sparge" or if you like, single run-off batch sparge where you mix all your sparge water in at the end and then just run it all off in one go... You need to be able to fit everything in all at once like a biab. The more "batches" you do, the closer it becomes to continuous and the less volume you need.

Thanks TB
Thinking I'd batch sparge with a copper manifold so I'm leaning to the 60 or 80 litre now.
Cheers
Mr W

Any chance of getting some inside dimensions of the 80L so I can get my manifold happening.

Cheers

Mr W

One the advice of Pennywise and 2much2spend I've gone for the 80L.

Picked one up on ebay for $102.50 which I'm stoked about. Just gotta drive down to Frankston to pick it up.

Now just waiting on my 70L BK from Ross and I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Cheers

Mr W

Necro: Will a 70L techni-ice esky still have enough grain bed depth for a single batch (5-6kgs of grain)? I will be batch sparging and could make do with smaller, but I like the option of having something large enough to do double batches if need be.

I use a 40 liter and am happy with it for single batches. Also have an 80 I was going to use for doubles when the time comes.

I use a 26 L rich and can push a 1090 single batch out of it doing batch sparge. 50-60L tun is plenty for a double of anything up to 9/10% abv.

Latest posts

Back