TCP Smell, taste (Partial mash)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Tasted my newly bottled IPA a couple of days ago. It stinks. Tastes bad. Like TCP.
I was really looking forward to it and even used all my swing tops that I have been saving up!

Might have been caused by leaving sterilisation fluid in the barrel for a few days. It was rinsed and I don't remember smelling inside the barrel, but I think that is the issue.
It is also cloudy, but I am not worried about that, not caring about clear beers (for now anyway)

Going to leave it for a month and retry it. If it is still yeurgh then I am going to dump the stuff in the swing tops so I can reuse them.

Learning curve still steep :angry2:

Dr.Google tells me that this is not good...

What yeast strain did you use? Do you filter your water? What sanitising agent do you use when cleaning your fermenter?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
What is TCP?
TetraChloroPhenol - an antiseptic common in the UK ('didn't have to google it :p ).

It's characteristic smell is medicinal. Hence, phenolics (as a beer fault) are often described as "medicinal/Band-aid-like".

@dibby33 - It's infected & no amount of waiting is going to help you (since it's trapped in a sealed bottle). Turf it & chalk it up to experience. Make sure that you THOROUGHLY clean & sanitise absolutely everything that came in contact with it. Consider where you went wrong in your processes. If you've got the problem into your next brew, it might be time to get some new stuff & start again.

Don't despair, it's all just part of the learning curve. 'Dunno how many 50L AG brews I've chucked down the drain. Shit happens, just learn from it & try again.

They are just about bottle bombs also. Lol Rdwhahb. The entire batch is being dumped. First time ever. I was using sodium meta bi sulfate. As I said. Never had that problem before.

I have not been boiling after the mash. Would that have caused the issue?

You're mashing but not boiling the liquid?
Don't do that.
Boil for at least 10 mins any liquor from grains.

Yeup. I agree. My first four were okay. Luck. Got a brew steeping just now and will be boiling. Just emptied the batch. *tears* now I have to clean the fecking bottles as well as bottle a batch and finish this brew. On a school night!

Rdwhahb. I am just about chanting that. At this rate I will not finish until midnight.

I think he means Tri Chloro Sodium Phosphate - AKA Pink Stain Remover, Neo Pink.....
A very powerful cleaner and steriliser useful especially on plastic, if used correctly but not something you want in your beer
Mark

dibby33 said:
I was using sodium meta bi sulfate.

I have not been boiling after the mash. Would that have caused the issue?
******* OATH mate!!!

Sodium Metabisulphite is just a bacterial "inhibitor", not really effective as a sanitiser. Get yourself some Star-San (or equivalent). Relatively cheap, effective & you can re-use it (up to a point - more reading required).

Not boiling your wort is DEFINITELY a problem!!! Boiling serves a number of purposes, perhaps the most important of which (from your perspective & in this instance) is sterilisation. The grain you mash not only contains the enzymes to do the starch conversion, but also a SHITLOAD of bacteria. Boiling kills them, so you can then introduce the "good organisms" (yeast).

Don't rush this thing - it can take YEARS to get it right, but once you do, it puts a really smug smile on your face when all the numpties are swilling their VB & paying ever-increasing excise tax for the privilege.

I may appear to be a bit heavy-handed in the advice-department here, but I honestly think you should take a step-back & read-up on the whole beer-making process so you get your head around what you're doing & WHY you're doing it. Good beer will be the result.

Slowly-slowly.

The question about not boiling after the mash was a bit hypothetical. I must have got lucky the past four batches. I am learning yes.

Thanks for the advice. I do keep my gear clean and never had this issue before. The only difference is the grains.

I have just finished my boil now on my latest batch. The barrel I used has been retired. It was old anyway.

Got to go Bottle (this is the time I am glad I only have to uncap my clean bottles that I did last month)

Thanks again for the advice. I like brutal honesty.

Aside from the obvious the refusal of the yeast to settle and the phenolic/medicinal taste point to wild yeast in my experience.

Wild yeast! Arghhh. ..

I am going to tighten up my procedures. I will be Sheldon clean.
I have just pitched my stout. Ready fir bed.
Learning curve is good. That is why I am here.

MartinOC said:
******* OATH mate!!!

Sodium Metabisulphite is just a bacterial "inhibitor", not really effective as a sanitiser. Get yourself some Star-San (or equivalent). Relatively cheap, effective & you can re-use it (up to a point - more reading required).

Not boiling your wort is DEFINITELY a problem!!! Boiling serves a number of purposes, perhaps the most important of which (from your perspective & in this instance) is sterilisation. The grain you mash not only contains the enzymes to do the starch conversion, but also a SHITLOAD of bacteria. Boiling kills them, so you can then introduce the "good organisms" (yeast).

Don't rush this thing - it can take YEARS to get it right, but once you do, it puts a really smug smile on your face when all the numpties are swilling their VB & paying ever-increasing excise tax for the privilege.

I may appear to be a bit heavy-handed in the advice-department here, but I honestly think you should take a step-back & read-up on the whole beer-making process so you get your head around what you're doing & WHY you're doing it. Good beer will be the result.

Slowly-slowly.

Slowly- slowly, takes years to get right?

Really, it's not that hard.

Slowly- slowly, takes years to get right?

Really, it's not that hard.
Read it again. I said it CAN take years to get right. Some people don't bother to educate themselves, try to rush the whole learning curve & keep making the same mistakes (or give up).

I agree with you - it's NOT that hard, as long as you follow the fundamentals (ie. clean-sanitise-boil etc..) & understand why you perform certain processes in the order you do.

Yesterday I did exactly the same, including the same equipment. This time I have done the boil. Damn I must have got lucky the first few brews I did! LMFAO

I have made two stouts also since my boil-fail and they seem to taste a bit better also. I thought that boiling the hops in another pan would have saved me some time, but the time is not really an issue in hindsight as you are not stuck to the pan during the boil. Stay close and check regularly of course, but you can get on with other stuff.

I am really interested to taste this one! Bit scary to repeat the same brew that was tipped out but...

Latest posts

Back