Tastes like metal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeymagik

Reaction score
I've got an IPA going that I was looking forward to. However when I've tried it, it tastes like metal... Which isn't as awesome as it sounds.

Any chance this will fix itself with time?

Don't think it will go away. Didn't use an old tin of extract did you? Old tins are a bit hit and miss with shitty flavours.

I'm with wereprawn.

I had something similar happen to three darker kit + extract + spec grain beers I made when I first started brewing. Distinctly metallic tasting. The first two got progressively more metallic tasting in the bottle, starting out as great beers that I was really happy with and over a few weeks getting really bad and metallic. The third was just metallic straight up. The fact that they got progressively worse made me pretty sure it was an infection.

Now I'm going to completely contradict myself. Bottle or keg it if you've got the time. Just because that was the case for me doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the same for you.

Might be time to relax, have a beer and see how it tastes in a week or two, and then make a call.

Metal flavours. The bane of my existence.

I've experienced them HEAPS in commercial beers from HEAPS of different breweries. And then I has one of my brews display it.

I've heard a number of different reasons as to what causes it. But mine that I've settled on as making sense in being in all the different beers I've found it in, maybe it wasn't the one single cause.

I've heard: too much dry hopping, too much Amarillo, poor storage of beer (which I lean towards, i.e. warm, cold, warm), too many minerals and a host of other reasons/possibilities.

Just tried it and the metallic flavour is distinctly less now than when i tried it a week ago, so I think i will bottle it anyway. I bulk prime so i'll be siphoning off into another vat before bottling which hopefully will leave a bit of nastiness behind. Frustrating as i can taste a good bear underneath the metal.

Weird thing is this one was a soft pack with a kilo of brew enhancer so no tins at all.

I had it in my kit beers when I used to do them - it was the trusty old garden hose that i used to fill the fermenter with, once I stopped doing that it went away.

wereprawn said:
There's your problem. Bears have no business being in your beer. :D
It happens when they dip their paws in the ferment vessel. :drinks:

I have a mate who wipes the top of every stubby before he drinks it. Swears he can taste the cap.

Same bloke has an extraordinary sense of smell and a very perceptive palate.

hey mate,
i would suggest referring to one of the brew bibles commonly known as 'how to brew' by john palmer

it suggest a few different reasons, but old or bad malt is likely the cause,

jonguylary

431neb said:
I have a mate who wipes the top of every stubby before he drinks it. Swears he can taste the cap.

Same bloke has an extraordinary sense of smell and a very perceptive palate.
Any little creatures beers I drink from the bottle I get the same thing.

I'm a brew noob so may be talking bs but I have done university level chemistry and could sodium in the water used to brew be the cause of metal taste? I think a lot of people forget that sodium is metallic and it's ions if in high concentrations could lead to a metallic tasting brew? Maybe get a report on the sodium content in the water you're using?

Back